The Last Duel (Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Jodie Comer, Ben Affleck, dir: Ridley Scott)

☃ ೋ

Superstar
Daps
Im going in brehs, be back later to say if I like this shyt or not :jbhmm:

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is movie of the year; wild how it tanked in the box office, but that’s probably due to lack of promotion. I didn’t even know this movie existed until I saw this thread :ohhh:

The ending scene where Le Gris clothes are being divided among those orphans and his body dragged on the ground from a cart, like Hector in the Iliad, in contrast to Jean being heralded and applauded was top notch cinema.

8.5/10
thought it tanked cuz of covid. aint no one going to movies like that except for spiderman

☃ ೋ

Superstar
Daps
Im going in brehs, be back later to say if I like this shyt or not :jbhmm:

I went into this with subpar expectations because of random not so good reviews here and there. I wasn't completely put off because I love these type of epic esque films. I like the route they went with the film, "there's three sides to a story; yours, mines, and the truth".

Watched the first take on what happened, not knowing there were two more parts to look forward too, and I felt good about Matt Damon's character, gave him the benefit of the doubt that he'd avenge his ol lady, and the movie would end on a good note.

Then the second point of view popped up on the screen, and now I see how this movies storyline is playing out. Quickly you come to the conclusion this dude was actually an a$$hole :mjlol:, ok maybe he fluffed his story up a bit to make himself seem reasonable, or maybe his "friend" is doing the opposite in his story to further his bias in his story, who knows. All in all the second story comes to an end and we find out that homeboy did actually rape Matts wife, ok moving on.

Time for wife's POV
:mjlol:
Yup, Matt definitely lied about his anger problems in his story, this nikka got problems, but this is in their day and age, maybe thay was just normalcy:troll:.
Fast forward through her story, and we find out, she doesnt really sexually mesh with her husband like that, hes a brute compared to Matt's friend who is sophisticated, well read, charming, blah blah, but still a rapist.

The duel
:wow:
Ahh, this is what we were all waiting for, and it delivered. Really well choreographed battle scene, gruesome, tactical, realistic to its time:blessed:, couldnt ask for more. At this point I didnt care for either of their characters and gave two shyts about who won, even with her life on the line.

The end

Matt pulled off the W, and stared at the crowd for a bit like :unimpressed:. I wanted the movie to go off script a bit and hit us with a, " are you not entertained :damn:" but this wasnt that and I pulled myself together for hopes of a last minute fukery buildup. He walked to his wife after the king had to remind him he just won a duel in his wife's honor, and for some reason I thought he was going to stab her with a dagger or something for embarrasing his name, but nothing:shaq2:. Time passes, he goes on another war escapade I'm assuming for more money and finally gets caught lacking, she inherits his property and never marries again, the end. Ps how was she able to afford that estate being a woman in those times, and not really having any income:patrice:

Anyway it was a good movie, I checked the review scores and see that there arnt really any bad reviews, the audience has it at a 3.8/5, rt has it at 86%, and IMDb at 7.4/10. Which seems pretty good as I gave it a 7.5 before looking at any review scores:yeshrug:

Last edited:

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
I went into this with subpar expectations because of random not so good reviews here and there. I wasn't completely put off because I love these type of epic esque films. I like the route they went with the film, "there's three sides to a story; yours, mines, and the truth".

Watched the first take on what happened, not knowing there were two more parts to look forward too, and I felt good about Matt Damon's character, gave him the benefit of the doubt that he'd avenge his ol lady, and the movie would end on a good note.

Then the second point of view popped up on the screen, and now I see how this movies storyline is playing out. Quickly you come to the conclusion this dude was actually an a$$hole :mjlol:, ok maybe he fluffed his story up a bit to make himself seem reasonable, or maybe his "friend" is doing the opposite in his story to further his bias in his story, who knows. All in all the second story comes to an end and we find out that homeboy did actually rape Matts wife, ok moving on.

Time for wife's POV
:mjlol:
Yup, Matt definitely lied about his anger problems in his story, this nikka got problems, but this is in their day and age, maybe thay was just normalcy:troll:.
Fast forward through her story, and we find out, she doesnt really sexually mesh with her husband like that, hes a brute compared to Matt's friend who is sophisticated, well read, charming, blah blah, but still a rapist.

The duel
:wow:
Ahh, this is what we were all waiting for, and it delivered. Really well choreographed battle scene, gruesome, tactical, realistic to its time:blessed:, couldnt ask for more. At this point I didnt care for either of their characters and gave two shyts about who won, even with her life on the line.

The end

Matt pulled off the W, and stared at the crowd for a bit like :unimpressed:. I wanted the movie to go off script a bit and hit us with a, " are you not entertained :damn:" but this wasnt that and I pulled myself together for hopes of a last minute fukery buildup. He walked to his wife after the king had to remind him he just won a duel in his wife's honor, and for some reason I thought he was going to stab her with a dagger or something for embarrasing his name, but nothing:shaq2:. Time passes, he goes on another war escapade I'm assuming for more money and finally gets caught lacking, she inherits his property and never marries again, the end. Ps how was she able to afford that estate being a woman in those times, and not really having any income:patrice:

Anyway it was a good movie, I checked the review scores and see that there arnt really any bad reviews, the audience has it at a 3.8/5, rt has it at 86%, and IMDb at 7.4/10. Which seems pretty good as I gave it a 7.5 before looking at any review scores:yeshrug:
As his family she gets what he would've been entitled to including his pension. This movie felt like GMB for her. The stakes if her husband was :flabbynsick: and got killed:picard:

Can you blame her for never wanting to get married again

☃ ೋ

Superstar
Daps
This movie felt like GMB for her. The stakes if her husband was :flabbynsick: and got killed:picard:

Yea those consequences were crazy, like at that point even if she was scared and wanted to play it off as a white lie that got out of hand, just so the whole situation could be deaded, on some, I took this too far, this fib got out of hand, I lied. According to the king she wouldve still gotten killed. So she was in it no matter what at that point.

The thing is, if she knew the rules and what they entailed to accusations like these, would she have kept her mouth shut about it, like her mother in law did, or still told? Who knows, but if I were in her shoes I wouldnt have said shyt... until I caught the flu or tuberculosis, or some shyt that was probably guaranteed to kill you back in those days. Then her crazy husband wouldve asked why it took her so long to tell him, shiiii... yes she was just in the wrong time frame of history, damned if you do, damned if you dont:francis:

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Yea those consequences were crazy, like at that point even if she was scared and wanted to play it off as a white lie that got out of hand, just so the whole situation could be deaded, on some, I took this too far, this fib got out of hand, I lied. According to the king she wouldve still gotten killed. So she was in it no matter what at that point.

The thing is, if she knew the rules and what they entailed to accusations like these, would she have kept her mouth shut about it, like her mother in law did, or still told? Who knows, but if I were in her shoes I wouldnt have said shyt... until I caught the flu or tuberculosis, or some shyt that was probably guaranteed to kill you back in those days. Then her crazy husband wouldve asked why it took her so long to tell him, shiiii... yes she was just in the wrong time frame of history, damned if you do, damned if you dont:francis:
The way women were treated back then was savage as hell. Really its crazy to think that the same country that was brutally torturing men women and children is now the one with some of the best quality of life in Europe, with socialized medicine and paid time off and big lunch breaks etc.:wow:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Liked this a lot, though not without some flaws, Affleck was near unrecognizable, in his most fun role in years, maybe decades. Was a really fun, if slightly too long theater experience, I saw it in October 2021.