The "Gone Girl" Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Oh yeah, and for all the praise Pike gets (she was excellent), I was more impressed by the actress who played the sister. I don't know if it was because I was already expecting it from Pike, but she filled that role in perfectly. I tell you right now, she's the only c00n I'll ever hang with (her name is Carrie c00n).

Also, I'm surprised no one (until now) has made this yet:

jYfBBvS.png
Watch The Leftovers

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm conflicted about this movie, and will for that reason call it 'alright'. That's not to say it's just alright because I'd say for the most part the movie works brilliantly. Except for the times it doesn't, and it hurts the movie. For one thing, I would've been in love with the ending if they had sold me on it. The movie did not. Even though all the ingredients are there. The obvious undertone about people's obsession with playing the part society wants to see them in, rather than being true to who they are. The whole thing about Nick's dream of becoming a father being such a big motivator for his decision to stay with her in the end. But the movie failed to sell me on Nick wanting to be a father so bad because he was a sack of lies when he told that to his sister, so I didn't buy it and was surprised to see I apparently had to buy it at the end. The same goes for the undertone, we see Nick playing the role because he needs to for the media, and in the end, to draw Amy back. But the movie doesn't sell me on Nick actually accepting to be that person for her. Obviously because she's crazy and he's dead scared of her, but that brings us back to the point that there's no other reason the movie can make me buy him sticking with her. Perhaps if they had shown Nick to be a little more crazier, a little more attracted to the fact his wife did all this for him, I could've bought it. I would've bought it, but as it is now, I just can't.

And in there lies another issue I have with the movie, which is Fincher's clinical direction. I'd say for a dark comedy/thriller Fincher hits all the right beats because he knows his craft, but he was dangerously close to missing the point completely in some cases because stylistically he refused to embrace the craziness. The cold style worked when it's still a mystery of whether he killed his wife or not. When the mid-turn twist happens and things get crazier, the cold style starts to work against it. In fact, during the scenes of Amy at her most batshyt, it only seemed as if the Reznor/Ross score addressed the insanity of it all because tonally Fincher didn't shoot it any different than the rest of the movie. I found it very noticeable too during the actual murder scene which looked (deliberately?) sloppily edited, almost as if Fincher realized only in the editing room that he filmed it too straight and it needed to be more raw. It left me with the same feeling I had after his The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo remake, that Fincher is still a man who's attracted to the dark edges of mankind, but slowly getting less able to convey that on screen.

Um, you wasn't SUPPOSED to buy it. That was the PRECISE point. Nick is full of shyt, and the whole "I wanna be a son to his child" was a pile of shyt that his sister saw through and bullshyt and keep it real and stated he was still in LOVE with that psycho bytch. It wasn't that he was even scared of her! Part of her actually wanted to still be with that lunatic, the same reason why she went back to him. The whole last discussion when she revealed she was pregnant made that all clear.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Um, you wasn't SUPPOSED to buy it. That was the PRECISE point. Nick is full of shyt, and the whole "I wanna be a son to his child" was a pile of shyt that his sister saw through and bullshyt and keep it real and stated he was still in LOVE with that psycho bytch. It wasn't that he was even scared of her! Part of her actually wanted to still be with that lunatic, the same reason why she went back to him. The whole last discussion when she revealed she was pregnant made that all clear.

Word. Everyone in the movie, minus his sister and his lawyer were all liars (the cops go without saying) but everyone who was intricately involved with the mystery, there are only two people who are truthful in the whole movie and even then his sister may not be entirely truthful because she's keeping secrets as an accomplice kinda. You're not sure who to believe or what to believe and I love the movie for that. It's not simple and doesn't provide simple answers

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
So you think he really wanted to end up with her?

I kind of thought he got trapped but ease elaborate

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So you think he really wanted to end up with her?

I kind of thought he got trapped but ease elaborate

No he did. It's the real reason his sister was so upset at him in the end. She says "oh my god you want to stay with her" and he says nothing and just gives a look. Yeah he had to worry about the kid but another point of the movie is that we get comfortable playing these roles and want to be these people we pretend to be. The guy he pretends to be when he's with her is the guy he wants to be deep down and Amy knew it. She called him on everything

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
some of the dialogue was :scusthov: especially when it showed them first meeting

I give it a 7 overall

it kept me interested but i wasn't WOWed..

it may be a grower.

Pike was awesome though. and the soundtrack was dope

and Ratajkowski's t*ts..

BnZ9tE3CcAAZZrd.jpg:large

Last edited:

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
some of the dialogue was :scusthov: especially when it showed them first meeting

Having never read the book...the flashbacks to when they met felt like some fairytale shyt to me. Felt weird, and I never really bought it.

I half thought it was intentional and I wasn't supposed to believe it. Knew I was watching a mindfukk movie, though, so maybe I was just in overdrive trying to read into shyt.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Having never read the book...the flashbacks to when they met felt like some fairytale shyt to me. Felt weird, and I never really bought it.

I half thought it was intentional and I wasn't supposed to believe it. Knew I was watching a mindfukk movie, though, so maybe I was just in overdrive trying to read into shyt.

That was by intention... even Amy stated that the first part is going to be painted like a fairytale. You are correct, you WASN'T supposed to believe as with virtually everything involving this film. It's make up to show these people habitually playing a role, a fantasy, wearing a mask.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
no homo..but was i the only one wondering when affleck's penis was gonna show up since it made so many headlines during the week?

i think it added to the dread and suspense

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

But the movie didn't sell me on him still being in love with her either, which is my precise point. Nick, for better or for worse, seems mostly like a pretty regular guy for most of the movie, which is why it's hard to swallow that he would stick with her in the end. Like I already said, I see all the ingredients as to why Nick would stay with her, but I just didn't buy them because the movie undersells all of it. It undersells every motivation he could have for sticking with her (the baby, the public image) and it undersells the fact he is still in love with her. Like I said:

but that brings us back to the point that there's no other reason the movie can make me buy him sticking with her. Perhaps if they had shown Nick to be a little more crazier, a little more attracted to the fact his wife did all this for him, I could've bought it. I would've bought it, but as it is now, I just can't.

Even though it's clearly intended to be that way, I think it just doesn't work the way it's presented. I can ignore the numerous plotholes of the movie for the sake of rolling with it but I can't ignore how it completely mishandles a character's motivation that is the essence of the entire ending.