The "Gone Girl" Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I put this movie up there with the Grand Budapest Hotel and The Purge Anarchy as most entertaining of 2014.

What really does it for me in this film is the grab for power between everyone involved. Affleck finds a rich heiress who basically became his sole money source once he gets fired. Amy who's life has been so controlled by her parents lives somewhat in her own world. You have the dysfunctional stalker of Amy who has loads of cash, but no social life. While exaggerated, these people do exist especially in big cities like NYC, LA, etc. Affleck and Pike almost remind me of a pathetic version of Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright from House of Cards.

One key thing here since this movie talks about media perception is Amy's neighbor. Anybody notice that the "dumb" neighbor who was :cape: for Amy the whole time was a minority? Amy knew she could easily manipulate her. Why? Obviously the neighbor wanted so badly to be part of the "in crowd" she had blind faith in Amy. Better wake up out here.

The woman who said they were "best friends"?

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well, yes and no. We know by both Amy's monologue and with Nick's own admission in the interrogation scene that the beginning parts were definitely true. However, we have NO CLUE as to what is true or false, because Nick HIMSELF is full of shyt. A lot of things that he was saying weren't the truth either. In spite of a lot of the lies, there was a lot of TRUTH within those lies. That's the reason the dairy itself would be inadmissible. We actually LEARNED later that Nick is INDEED capable to violence when he first learned she got pregnant and her pushed her to the wall with her hand on her throat, so he COULD be lying the police about that as well of other things. The whole reason she fell in love with him was the fact he was a bullshytter like herself, and the main reason she went back to him is because she saw him on the interview bullshytting his way in order to get public to side with him (which he actually claimed he was really trying to reach one person which was her). So REALLY we do not know WHAT is true and what isn't.
The same way her parents added to Amy in the Amazing Amy books, she added to events in her diary.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't read the book, but this excerpt right here is absolutely brilliant
“Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shyt on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl.

Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they’re fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl. For a long time Cool Girl offended me. I used to see men – friends, coworkers, strangers – giddy over these awful pretender women, and I’d want to sit these men down and calmly say: You are not dating a woman, you are dating a woman who has watched too many movies written by socially awkward men who’d like to believe that this kind of woman exists and might kiss them. I’d want to grab the poor guy by his lapels or messenger bag and say: The bytch doesn’t really love chili dogs that much – no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They’re not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they’re pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be. Oh, and if you’re not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn’t want the Cool Girl. It may be a slightly different version – maybe he’s a vegetarian, so Cool Girl loves seitan and is great with dogs; or maybe he’s a hipster artist, so Cool Girl is a tattooed, bespectacled nerd who loves comics. There are variations to the window dressing, but believe me, he wants Cool Girl, who is basically the girl who likes every fukking thing he likes and doesn’t ever complain. (How do you know you’re not Cool Girl? Because he says things like: “I like strong women.” If he says that to you, he will at some point fukk someone else. Because “I like strong women” is code for “I hate strong women.”)”

Modsbanme

Banned
Daps
Movie of the year, I would trust Amy with my life, I know if we on good terms she would kill for me at the drop of a hat.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Reading through this thread I'm reminded that few things annoy me on this forum more than Gluvnast randomly capitalizing words in his tedious posts.

Makes me want to club baby seals.

Movie was pretty damn good btw. It's pulpy fluff compared to Fincher's best shyt but the guy is undeniably a master of cinematic storytelling.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I saw this movie, for real brehs, this is a straight up horror movie. God damn. I don' t think I ever want to see it again.

I glad she came back because if she went missing. I would be like :comeon:, if she was lost forever. Blonde rich white women who go missing is basically a national emergency.

I have a question though, if those drifters didn't steal her money what would be her plan? To actually go to the Gulf of Mexico? Not come home? Or would she have caught ol'boy on the tv, and came home any way?

I do agree there are some major plot holes though.
Fincher the gawd though.:lawd:

If you like this movie, you would like Side Effects

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I saw this movie, for real brehs, this is a straight up horror movie. God damn. I don' t think I ever want to see it again.

I glad she came back because if she went missing. I would be like :comeon:, if she was lost forever. Blonde rich white women who go missing is basically a national emergency.

I have a question though, if those drifters didn't steal her money what would be her plan? To actually go to the Gulf of Mexico? Not come home? Or would she have caught ol'boy on the tv, and came home any way?

I do agree there are some major plot holes though.
Fincher the gawd though.:lawd:

If you like this movie, you would like Side Effects

Her plan was to wait and see what would happen to Nick. Until he became the man she wanted him to be on tv, her plan was to see him dead all the way through. She would've killed herself in order to have a body should the murder weapon alone not be enough to get him a murder charge. That's one thorough crazy bytch.

Last edited: