"The GOAT Black City" The Official: ATL Discussion Thread

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I remember Underground for the food court, they had these good ass turkey wraps:ohlawd:

Now, you can't eem be seen over there without lookin hot

I was picking up some phones for work from Boost Mobile last week.

*Illegal U-Turn on Peachtree
*Pull up in front of Boost
*Asian brehs drop like 50 Boost Phones in the van
Everybody by Metro Mall and folks hanging out::dahell:

Me: :mjpls::youngsabo::whoa:
burnout.gif

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I remember Underground for the food court, they had these good ass turkey wraps:ohlawd:

Now, you can't eem be seen over there without lookin hot

I was picking up some phones for work from Boost Mobile last week.

*Illegal U-Turn on Peachtree
*Pull up in front of Boost
*Asian brehs drop like 50 Boost Phones in the van
Everybody by Metro Mall and folks hanging out::dahell:

Me: :mjpls::youngsabo::whoa:
burnout.gif
Underground in the 90s :whoo:

:wow:

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Atlanta’s economic development agency gave initial approval Thursday to issuing $252 million in bonds to help finance the redevelopment of the Boisfeuillet Jones Atlanta Civic Center.

Invest Atlanta’s Board of Directors passed an “inducement resolution” declaring its intent to issue bonds to go toward a $450 million mixed-use project.
Click to expand...​
Civic Center byke :banderas:

Glad to see that they're investing money in key iconic developments in the city (Underground, Colony Square & now the Civic Center)

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
:merchant: Saw this dude get shot today brehs. Was on the eastside looking at houses for sale and I stopped in the family dollar right there at Candler and McCafee. Get up to the counter and the cashier steady looking outside. At first I'm like kinda OD pissed cuz she wasn't paying me no attention and I'm ready to check out. Then i saw what had her attention. Some dudes was in the parking lot arguing and one of them ran to the car and the other one took his shirt off following him like he was getting ready to throw them hands. Dude who went to the car pulled out a stick and bust the guy twice in the mid section. Dude didn't even have time to react. He fell back like somebody goldberg'd his ass. Breh with the stick just hopped in the whip and calmly drove off. shyt was crazy. Thats the third time I've seen somebody get bust and it's just as surreal and unnerving as the first. I'm clearly not bout that life cuz that shyt threw my whole day off. I go to the eastside maybe 2-3 times a year and I see this shyt in broad ass day light. :snoop:
Might have to rethink trying to cop a rental prop in Decatur. Them little nikkas over there getting too turned up.

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
USUALLY...ass.

I can say in cities like DC or Boston, they're a lot better. Maybe even Chicago.

People in ATL stay bullshytting when it comes to some of those events.

Eh. It could be worse. When I stayed in NC they networking events was the most fugazi shyt ever. Been to a couple in the Chi and they heavy on the religion tip. shyt be full of preachers and pastors. Which was ironic to me at first cuz we in the Bible Belt. But I realized that up there in the hood most of the positive shyt is spear headed by the church.

Prynce

Daps
:merchant: Saw this dude get shot today brehs. Was on the eastside looking at houses for sale and I stopped in the family dollar right there at Candler and McCafee. Get up to the counter and the cashier steady looking outside. At first I'm like kinda OD pissed cuz she wasn't paying me no attention and I'm ready to check out. Then i saw what had her attention. Some dudes was in the parking lot arguing and one of them ran to the car and the other one took his shirt off following him like he was getting ready to throw them hands. Dude who went to the car pulled out a stick and bust the guy twice in the mid section. Dude didn't even have time to react. He fell back like somebody goldberg'd his ass. Breh with the stick just hopped in the whip and calmly drove off. shyt was crazy. Thats the third time I've seen somebody get bust and it's just as surreal and unnerving as the first. I'm clearly not bout that life cuz that shyt threw my whole day off. I go to the eastside maybe 2-3 times a year and I see this shyt in broad ass day light. :snoop:
Might have to rethink trying to cop a rental prop in Decatur. Them little nikkas over there getting too turned up.
I drove by that today. Seen ton of 12 at that autozone

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
blankheader.jpg

Valued voices share insights about Atlanta and beyond
ATL BUSINESS CHRONICLE
Arthur Blank and his team roll up their sleeves to help Atlanta’s Westside
May 22, 2016, 10:19 pm/0 Comments
Share this:

By Maria Saporta
As published in the Atlanta Business Chronicle on May 20, 2016

The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation has committed about $7 million of the $15 million it has pledged to invest in improvements in the communities on Atlanta’s Westside near the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

But Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said the commitment to improve the Westside is just getting started.

On May 13, hundreds of associates from Blank’s multiple business and philanthropic entities descended on the Westside to work on seven different projects — including refreshing six existing Habitat for Humanity-Atlanta homes. The effort — called Brush with Kindness — mainly involved repainting people’s homes.

westside-arthur-blank-wxia.jpg

Arthur Blank talks to associate Brett Jewkes before doing a television interview about the westside (Photo by Maria Saporta)

“We have more than 300 of our associates involved in seven different projects,” Blank said while touring the different sites. “It is an opportunity for our associates to roll up their sleeves. We are committed to the Westside. Today we are working on these houses. But this is not a one-day project for us. This is 365 days a year.”

Blank said it’s vital to preserve as much of the history as possible because the “Westside is where the civil rights movement flourished.”

One of the big challenges for Blank, the City of Atlanta and other Westside partners has been acquiring, demolishing or repairing the number of blighted homes in the English Avenue and Vine City neighborhoods.

“It’s important that the people who live here — the people who have a sense of history and tradition — get to stay here,” Blank said. “We want these communities to flourish… We think the resources are there. We want to be part of the fabric.”

After talking to one of the homeowners, Blank said she told him she already had seen “tremendous improvement” in some of the blighted properties. One of the next tasks will be to have Atlanta police officers moving into 20 to 25 different homes in the community, providing another layer of public safety and security.

Penny McPhee, president of the Blank Foundation, said many partners are involved in the efforts to improve the Westside.

frank-fernandez.jpg

Blank Foundation’s Frank Fernandez working on the Westside (Photo by Maria Saporta)

“All the work happening on the Westside is complicated, it’s long-term, and it’s slow-going,” McPhee said. “It’s going to take at least 10 years. And it involves a lot of partners. We don’t want it to be just Arthur and the associates.”

The impetus to make improvements on the Westside is the building of the new $1.5 billion stadium across Northside Drive.

“The community has been so marginalized with disinvestment,” McPhee said. “A big part of our goal is to reconnect the Westside with downtown. It is our biggest undertaking. It will be transformational.”

But it’s not simple.

Frank Fernandez, vice president of community development for the Blank Foundation, has been focused on the Westside since he moved to Atlanta more than two years ago.

The Blank Foundation chose to partner with Habitat because “it’s really grounded in the community,” and it has long-time homeowners who have a stake in the area.

“We and Habitat are focused on helping people who are here be able to stay in their homes,” Fernandez said. “A big part of this is to help them stay here.”

The Blank Foundation is working with Invest Atlanta, the Westside Future Fund and others to address all aspects of the issues contributing to blight in the neighborhoods.

“We haven’t really seen gentrification so far,” Fernandez said. “There’s only a 15 percent home-ownership rate. But 70 percent of renters have been here five years or more. We are trying to figure out how we can convert them to homeowners.”

Fernandez said there are two big initiatives. The first is to provide housing and legal services on the blighted properties. Many of them have “cloudy titles” with some question of who owns the houses.

They also have grants to help people improve their homes — ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 — that can go towards energy efficiency, repairs and beautification.

westside-fernandez-miss-Miss-Bertha.jpg

Frank Fernandez talks with neighborhood resident Ms. Bertha (Photo by Maria Saporta)

The Blank Foundation also is working with the city to acquire property in the community.

“The key is the land assemblage,” McPhee said, noting that it involves code enforcement and absentee owners. “We have acquired some properties mostly with Invest Atlanta [the city’s economic development agency]. There’s also the Westside Future Fund that will be acquiring properties to go to the land bank authority or held by the Westside Future Fund.”

At the same time, the Blank Foundation is also working on job training programs, green space improvements, community leadership development and physical connections between the stadium and the Westside.

“We want to transform the campus of the stadium for people to come in not just on Falcons’ game days,” McPhee said. “We see this as a residential community that’s part of downtown. We want you to feel comfortable on both sides of Northside Drive.”

Photo Pick: Chihuly Green by Lisa PaneroMay 19, 2016 - 7:54 am

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps

i was going to move back over there recently and decided against it, I live over there 2003-2007, I saw these two white cars shooting at each other round about the Piggly Wiggly and then saw a cop sleep in his car behind the CVS a little ways down the street.

I remember getting off the 15 at the Kroger to buy grocery late night, and niccas was bucking shots down Ember Drive, went home without the grocery that night.

I lived in the Rainbow Forest apartments when I was in kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade in the early 80s, all the way in the back. Im scared to drive thru there now, afraid I won't make it out

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
We got the Super Bowl brehs :banderas:

The economic impact doe :wow:

Super Bowl LIII in February 2019 in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium will bring in $400 million to metro Atlanta.

That’s according to the Metro Atlanta Chamber, which published Q&A to talk about the economic impact of hosting the big game in three years:

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
We got the Super Bowl brehs :banderas:

The economic impact doe :wow:

Super Bowl LIII in February 2019 in the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium will bring in $400 million to metro Atlanta.

That’s according to the Metro Atlanta Chamber, which published Q&A to talk about the economic impact of hosting the big game in three years:

:blessed:
The city back brehs. i always felt big events like this really put the town over the top back in the day. Now we getting back in the mix with them.