"The GOAT Black City" The Official: ATL Discussion Thread

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Those free meetings be so wack. My boy said it best, in Atlanta, you gotta pay to network. That free shyt is filled with low level employees

Yea it's true to a certain extent. This event isn't free but yea you got a point. I just try to make sure I kno what I'm there to do (recruit, network, etc) b/c if you're going to one of these and not actively networking it's a waste of time

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Those free meetings be so wack. My boy said it best, in Atlanta, you gotta pay to network. That free shyt is filled with low level employees

There are A LOT of nikkas down here with call center jobs faking it until they make it. :yeshrug:

Thats one of the main reasons I fukk with Emerging 100 dudes bc they actually walk the walk and talk the talk :ehh:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yea it's true to a certain extent. This event isn't free but yea you got a point. I just try to make sure I kno what I'm there to do (recruit, network, etc) b/c if you're going to one of these and not actively networking it's a waste of time

What do you guys mean by "pay"? Like joining Frats or are they pay orgs/orgs with dues for networking? I don't drink so I`m straight on the Networking parties, I can get down with community service type events though where you have genuine convo with folks. Most those day parties/galas tend to be flex fests and women trying to get saved.

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
What do you guys mean by "pay"? Like joining Frats or are they pay orgs/orgs with dues for networking? I don't drink so I`m straight on the Networking parties, I can get down with community service type events though where you have genuine convo with folks. Most those day parties/galas tend to be flex fests and women trying to get saved.

With respect to this particular event there is a fee for admission but what @Warren Moon was talking about was a fee to join their organization

The gala we were at was pretty cool, it was at the Delta Air Museum, black tie event, open bar, but to your point these events do attract groupies b/c all the brehs in there are our age and successful (most that I've noticed are lawyers at great local law firms)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
With respect to this particular event there is a fee for admission but what @Warren Moon was talking about was a fee to join their organization

The gala we were at was pretty cool, it was at the Delta Air Museum, black tie event, open bar, but to your point these events do attract groupies b/c all the brehs in there are our age and successful (most that I've noticed are lawyers at great local law firms)

I assume the Emerging 100 you can only join via sponsorship from an existing member right? And thats my thing I dont drink, so these type of events tend to be awkward to me if you arent their trying to find a woman lol. Like I said I enjoy networking via community service or Tech conferences as there tends to be less flexing going on.

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
A group of Southwest Atlanta residents want to clean up the city’s blighted properties, and they're calling for Atlanta officials to show support for ridding some communities of boarded-up eyesores.

So as Mayor Kasim Reed and his aides tweak the next fiscal year’s budget, 11 neighborhood organizations, led by self-proclaimed “Blight Fighter” Alan Holmes, have requested the city allocate more cash to raze the dilapidated buildings.

The budget request calls for more than $8 million, $7 million of which would be specifically earmarked for leveling the abandoned blots on Atlanta’s landscape.

• PHOTO COURTESY ALAN HOLMES, BLYGHT
Those demolition plans, according to Georgia Tech City Planning Professor Dan Immergluck, could knock down as many as 500 structures during the year, which would make a “sizable dent” in alleviating Atlanta’s costly blight problem. (A study by Immergluck finds blight is costing the city millions of dollars in unpaid taxes and cleanup costs.)

Holmes, who serves on the city's code enforcement commission and is part of Blyght, a tech group advocating for the cleanup of dilapidated properties, says he plans on pressing local politicians to support the anti-blight campaign. But some councilmembers, he says, might be hesitant to support spending for an issue that’s seen mostly in neighborhoods that have supported Holmes' push, such as Capitol View Manor, Westview, and Holmes’ neighborhood, Oakland City.

“I expect that councilmembers representing wealthier parts of the city may be a little harder to convince in regards to supporting [the effort],” he says. “Their areas don't experience blight, so it doesn't necessarily hit home to them. I also plan on aggressively lobbying councilmembers who may run for mayor next year.”

Blyght flew a drone over some afflicted areas to give people a better understanding of the issue.

But to address the 15,000 abandoned buildings in Atlanta — 2,500 of which, Immergluck says, need to be razed — the rate of demolition needs a drastic uptick. Backers of the proposal say that can’t be done with the $2 million allocated for blight demo last year.

“The city is currently only demolishing on the order of 100 properties a year, which is basically treading water, as some additional properties become distressed and vacant each year,” Immergluck says.

So it’s imperative, the professor says, that these toppled buildings don’t just become vacant lots of forgotten rubble. “If some resources can be devoted to greening them and making them a positive amenity to the neighborhood, they can actually have a positive impact on nearby property values.”

• PHOTO COURTESY ALAN HOLMES, BLYGHT
  • Blyght shows YouTube viewers what some of Atlanta's crumbling properties look like.

If Holmes’ proposal is accepted, $622,000 would be used to beef up the city’s code enforcement budget, adding 20 new researchers to evaluate the parcels before deciding each building’s fate.

About $90,000 would be used to roll out 200 spiffy new trash cans for neighborhoods in need. And the last $570,000 of the proposal would be spent hiring 15 new public works officers to sweep up the streets and cite litterbugs.

But Immergluck says this effort, albeit a “major, needed step” in the right direction, will need to carry on for years if Atlanta wants to see eyesore houses totally wiped off the map.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Coke donates $1.8 million for downtown Atlanta projects | www.ajc.com

Coke donates $1.8 million for downtown Atlanta projects
11:33 a.m. Wednesday, May 18, 2016 | Filed in: Business
COMMENTS 1

To celebrate 130 years in its hometown of Atlanta, Coca-Cola is donating $1.8 million to causes designed to make improvements in the city’s downtown heart.

The beverage giant is giving $1 million to the Georgia World Congress Center Authority’s efforts to expand Centennial Olympic Park, the beverage giant said.

The GWCCA is trying to raise $25 million to enlarge the downtown greenspace — one of the city’s main tourist attractions — including purchasing the Metro Atlanta Chamber building so it can be demolished and turned into more park land.

Mayor Kasim Reed and Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent at ceremony in which Coke installed a marker at the site where the first Coke was poured in downtown Atlanta.
“There is no better way to celebrate 130 years of Coca-Cola than to give back to our hometown,” Coke CEO Muhtar Kent said in a statement.

“While Atlanta has always been and will always be Coca-Cola’s home, the Centennial Olympic Park District is our neighborhood,” he said. “For decades, we have continued to invest in improving the area around our headquarters to support the continued growth of tourism, business and residences right here in our backyard.”

Coca-Cola’s headquarters is just down the street from the park on North Avenue and its World of Coca-Cola attraction is on the park’s north side.

Coke also is donating $500,000 to the PATH Foundation in its goal to connect Centennial Olympic Park to the city’s westside neighborhoods with new bike and pedestrian trails and improved landscaping.

Others receiving portions of the Coca-Cola donation:

The National Center for Civil and Human Rights: $250,000 for Operation Inspiration, a program that underwrites admission fees for students attending metro Atlanta Title 1 schools.

Atlanta Union Mission: $50,000 for vocational training and life stabilization skills programs for women living at My Sister’s House.

Children’s Museum of Atlanta: $30,000 for new 2016 exhibits

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Im ready to see this underground redevelopment

Speaking of which...

The sale of Underground Atlanta appears imminent. The city is working on a land swap with the state, essentially trading the city's Bobby Jones 18-hole golf course for a state owned parking deck near Underground to accommodate the potential developer's desire for parking. The state would put $20-$50 million into the links along Peachtree Creek, dropping the hole count to 9 and adding a driving range and a Bobby Jones Museum. "I imagine this playing out over the next 10-20 days," Reed told Channel 2 last night.

That was posted on Creative Loafing.com, imagine they make UA like Atlantic Station or Avalon up in Alpharetta and how much of an impact that would have on downtown. It's a shame what Underground Atlanta has become now SMH