"The GOAT Black City" The Official: ATL Discussion Thread

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
El Bar up under El Azteca on Ponce will be fukking lit Thursday. That place already gets live on regular Thursday's. I'm sure this week it's gonna be bananas. shyt is one night stand type action too.
you gotta keep that shyt a secret. El bar is a spot only for people in the know.

Jahmal

HARD ON ATL HOES
Daps
El Bar up under El Azteca on Ponce will be fukking lit Thursday. That place already gets live on regular Thursday's. I'm sure this week it's gonna be bananas. shyt is one night stand type action too.
SHHHH dont tell ppl about El Beezy

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I went to El Bar back in October, A3C weekend. I saw Wally Sparks tweet about and got on his guest list. I was in there dolo just vibin, drank some brews and enjoyed the music.

I guess I'll play Thursday by ear tho, if any yall brehs tryna link holla :smugdraper:

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
The Atlanta City Council voted Monday to sell Turner Field to Georgia State University, a key transaction in a $300 million plan to redevelop the stadium area when the Braves move to Cobb County next year.

Working with Atlanta-based developer Carter Inc., Georgia State emerged in December as the winner of a bid to redevelop the 77-acre stadium property and its surroundings. The plan is to include football and baseball stadiums, retail, residential and student housing.

Enlarge
BYRON E. SMALL

“I couldn’t be more excited about this,” said Councilwoman Carla Smith, who represents the area occupied by Turner Field and was the resolution’s chief sponsor.

The resolution, which passed 13-0 with one abstention, authorizes the Atlanta-Fulton County Recreation Authority to sell the stadium property. CouncilwomanKeisha Lance Bottoms abstained, citing her role as executive director of the authority.

Representatives of neighborhood groups in the area surrounding Turner Field urged council members before Monday’s vote not to approve any deal that doesn’t include a community benefits agreement, a legal document that would specify how the redevelopment would help neighborhoods including Summerhill, Mechanicsville, Peoplestown and Pittsburgh. Many complained that their groups have not been given enough opportunity to provide feedback on the redevelopment plan.

A community benefits agreement is particularly necessary in Atlanta, a city plagued with huge income inequality, state Sen. Vincent Fort, D-Atlanta, told the council.

“That’s why a community benefits agreement is so important,” he said. “It shouldn’t be seen as a frivolous add-on.”

But several council members said the developers have met with concerned citizens on numerous occasions.

Smith said citizen input was key in the decision to emphasize high-density development in the plan in order to attract more retail businesses.

“We want services. We’re in a food desert,” Smith said. “That’s why we chose high density.”

Smith and others said Monday’s vote was just the beginning of a process that must clear many other hurdles before the sale of the property is finalized.

Among other things, the measure still must go before the Fulton County Commission. Renee Starzyk, spokeswoman for Fulton County Commission Chairman John Eaves, said no vote has been scheduled.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Unless they will be doing some mixed use development i dont see how university focused athletics (for athletics that suck) is going to do much for the area.

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Unless they will be doing some mixed use development i dont see how university focused athletics (for athletics that suck) is going to do much for the area.

If they could get a grocery store built over there and some other essential businesses it could help revitalize that community. I think that's why the homeowners groups over there are mad that they haven't had a community benefits agreement signed in yet

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Why blacks in Atlanta can't build equity in housing purchases.

The nation’s housing recovery is leaving blacks behind

Race as we all know is a factor. I grew up in South Dekalb (Flat Shoals Parkway :salute:) but I came to the SWATS before the housing bubble burst. I'd be interested to see this article done on the SWATS too just to examine the totality of how race impacts all of the housing market in Atlanta for blacks

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Race as we all know is a factor. I grew up in South Dekalb (Flat Shoals Parkway :salute:) but I came to the SWATS before the housing bubble burst. I'd be interested to see this article done on the SWATS too just to examine the totality of how race impacts all of the housing market in Atlanta for blacks

SWATS is "old money", Dekalb Blacks most didnt get their until 95-97 i believe. The SWD school district is the only area i think that had a good size black population before the mid 90s.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
SWATS is "old money", Dekalb Blacks most didnt get their until 95-97 i believe. The SWD school district is the only area i think that had a good size black population before the mid 90s.

Yep, spot on. Black people started moving to 30034 in the late 70s, the house I grew up in was owned by a white family when my parents bought it in '88.

It's always fascinating to me how the makeup and opinion of the city has changed. My mom came to Atlanta in 1980 for grad school, she always talks about how SWATs was the place to live as a young black professional. One day owning a house on Cascade meant you were living.

Now, I interact with all these black transplants talkin bout they wanna live in Alpharetta or somewhere far as hell. Even though I'm older and drive, half the time I ain't really tryna venture to all these places outside of the areas I frequented in my younger days

Last edited:

AVXL

Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL

It was earlier than that. My parents moved to SW Dekalb in the late 80's/early 90's and I know a lot of other families moved there during that time too. A lot of kids I went to elementary/middle school with (Chapel Hill :salute:) we're kids of parents who had just bought their first nice house in the suburbs