“The Gilded Age” new HBO Series coming January 24th

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Probably most slept on show of the last decade. Really really good. Everything from acting to direction just next level shyt, Soderbergh was on one. Only two seasons but the ending feels right.

Its literally the show that caused me to move from lurking to actually creating an account here.
I felt like I NEEDED to talk about that show, and this Message Board was the only place I saw talking about it :yeshrug:.
Respect. It’s on my list now.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Respect. It’s on my list now.

I can't help comparing and contrasting the two shows. "The Knick" takes place in a world where people attend rat fights for fun, and catch deadly rat diseases that destroy families (of RICH people) and arguably influence :mjpls: theories leading to World War 2 many years later.

Gilded Age takes place in a world where the main conflict is "My Opera house is more prestigious than yours" :hhh:.

And yet, there are a set of characters in both shows that are theoretically based on the same people.

BushidoBrown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Its hard to wrap my brain around the fact that the Russells from "Gilded Age" and the Robertsons from "The Knick" are supposed to both be based on the same people.

"The Knick" is SO much more gritty than Gilded Age that its hard to imagine it takes place in the same place....much less that both shows essentially have overlapping characters (though set a little over a decade apart).
damn i gotta rewatch it now

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Its hard to wrap my brain around the fact that the Russells from "Gilded Age" and the Robertsons from "The Knick" are supposed to both be based on the same people.

"The Knick" is SO much more gritty than Gilded Age that its hard to imagine it takes place in the same place....much less that both shows essentially have overlapping characters (though set a little over a decade apart).

Yea what stood out to me in the last ep was how sanitized they made them racists. I mean that shyt was basically out of a cartoon show, not a TV-MA HBO show. The juxtaposition of how the wealthy are shown on Succession compared to this is why I feel like this one is being held back. There's too much pandering of the old wealthy crowd here.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Show is written by an old ass white british dude man, it's downton abbey: north America basically. It's never gonna have the edge you're looking for. The edgiest Downton Abbey got was characters going off to die in a war or running off with a communist lover.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea what stood out to me in the last ep was how sanitized they made them racists. I mean that shyt was basically out of a cartoon show, not a TV-MA HBO show. The juxtaposition of how the wealthy are shown on Succession compared to this is why I feel like this one is being held back. There's too much pandering of the old wealthy crowd here.

It’s a romanticized view of the gilded age. The show is really more about how these rich families compete over trivial shyt, it’s not meant to explore the true evils inflicted by these rich b*stards and the reality of The Gilded Age. The union busting and alone was brutal not to mention the horrors of racism that black people were subjected.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
It’s a romanticized view of the gilded age. The show is really more about how these rich families compete over trivial shyt, it’s not meant to explore the true evils inflicted by these rich b*stards and the reality of The Gilded Age. The union busting and alone was brutal not to mention the horrors of racism that black people were subjected.
Show is written by an old ass white british dude man, it's downton abbey: north America basically. It's never gonna have the edge you're looking for. The edgiest Downton Abbey got was characters going off to die in a war or running off with a communist lover.

Yea I'm a bit surprised HBO of all places would air something that has such rose colored glasses of an era where you could really show the brutality of how these types attained & kept their wealth.

A big deal was made of the show's black characters and no actual real look into racism has been done except last ep's which was very light and cliche to say the least.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

Sadly, this show has a built in audience of older ladies (e.g. my mother) who aren't looking for a realistic depiction of how people really would have treated each other in 1888. I'm not saying the show is bad, just that the show knows who its target demographic is.

I am confused about one thing though:
WHY was this episode rated TV-MA? I can't figure it out, seemed entirely "PG" to me.