The Get Down Part 1 & 2 (Official Thread)

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
I was thinking, maybe Netflix is, instead of getting all of the hottest shows to be streamed on their service, they're instead trying to create all of the hottest shows to be streamed on their service.

That's been their MO for awhile now, the real value for all of these companies is creating and owning original content. Ever since House of Cards and OITNB took off for them, they have steadily been increasing the number of shows they create. While I think they will always have older shows and movies as a part of the service, original series will largely be the driving force for people to subscribe.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas Talks Writing Raps for Netflix Hip-Hop Drama 'The Get Down'

"I was just wiping sweat off my forehead every time I would see the rehearsal"

rs-nas-7d0073aa-fb96-4fc6-9afb-abaa3e831009.jpg

Christopher R. Weingarten
1 hour ago

Nas has been one of rap music's pre-eminent old-school diplomats and cinéastes since he opened his 1994 debut, Illmatic, with a clip of hip-hop flick Wild Style. The multi-platinum rapper has combined his twin passions as executive producer of The Get Down, Baz Luhrmann's visually arresting look at the birth of hip-hop culture in New York City. A mix of painstakingly accurate historical details and explosive fantasy, the Netflix series brings the Bronx in 1977 to a life thanks to a group of expert consultants, including Grandmaster Flash, Kurtis Blow, Kool Herc, Rahiem of the Furious Five and journalist Nelson George. But Nas has taken a weightier role, not only co-producing the project, but writing all of the raps that appear in the series' 13 episode run.

"Working with film is like has been one of the things I always wanted to do since I don't know when," Nas tells Rolling Stone. "Maybe even before rap…. I don't know if I'm an expert, but I'm just a super fan of the old school and the golden era, and so it just felt like I couldn't have asked for a better project to be involved with."

In the first episode, the series' protagonist Ezekiel "Books" Figuero is portrayed as a gifted teen poet and a formidable park rapper played by Justice Smith, and a grown Nineties hip-hop icon portrayed by Hamilton's Daveed Diggs. Nas wrote the lyrics for his introspective poems, battle raps and nostalgic reminisces, providing a throughline for an episode already loaded with super disco breaks and claustrophobic krautrock. Before Part One premieres on August 12th, Nas talked to Rolling Stone about his new role as hip-hop's prestige TV storyteller.

How did you end up connecting with Baz?
I just got a call from them about sitting down. And we sat down and we had a discussion about both of our love of hip-hop music from way back; from Run-DMC to before Run-DMC, and what we both loved about it…. He knew what he wanted from me ... and it was a just a perfect time to get involved. I sat down with him Nelson George, and we had great talks about it. Grandmaster Flash, talked with him. Great talks about New York City and the culture during that time period, what was happening politically, what was happening in Hollywood. Baz had a chart in the office of historical things that happened that year.

You were about four years old in 1977, and it was probably about three or four years later that you started getting seriously into rhymes. So what was the moment that got you into hip-hip culture?
The moment I was born. [Laughs] I heard someone, I think it was Kool Herc, super DJ pioneer of hip-hop from the Bronx, say hip-hop started in 1973. That's the year I was born. So I was actually born with hip-hop. That's my brother, that's my sister, that's my twin. "I am hip hop," like KRS-One said. Music was just a thing that was coming out of the windows in Queensbridge, that was coming out of the park jams.

Rap songs, it's hard to pinpoint the first one, but I have to give a lot of credit to Kurtis Blow with "The Breaks." That record was not just a rap record, it was a great music record. It was like a sign that something new was about to happen, or was happening. Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks," sonically, could match any of the hit records of the time. And of course, the Sugar Hill [Gang's] "Rapper's Delight." At that point in time, Stevie Wonder was beginning to do a little rap, and a lot of music people were starting to do to a little rap thing at the end of their songs. I don't really remember a time where there was not rap music.

Nas Talks Writing Raps for Netflix Hip-Hop Drama 'The Get Down'