The Get Down Part 1 & 2 (Official Thread)

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Nelson George was the head writer, Grand Master Flash and Kool Herc were consultants. And Nas was also an executive Producer with Baz. Still not enough melanin?
lol don't put his on Herc Flash and Nas, its pretty clear the hip hop elements took a backseat to the Baz Luhrman's creative vision (Moulin Rouge, Romeo+Juliet, Great Gatsby).

I enjoyed the show but it needed way MORE hip hop. The over stylized direction was the weakest part of it. And ironically thats probably what will end up sinking it cuz I have no idea why they needed to spend 120 million on that....the actual New York hip hop scene in 1977 wasn't worth 120 million combined.

They shouldve got Scott Sanders from Black Dynamite to direct this. That movie combined the 70s feel, comedy and fantasy perfectly

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know what you are going to get with Baz. It is what it is. He's been making the same style movie since the slave ship.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Nelson George was the head writer, Grand Master Flash and Kool Herc were consultants. And Nas was also an executive Producer with Baz. Still not enough melanin?
I knew about all that clearly I was talking about the writing...:stopitslime:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
So you mean the very Black Nelson George?
He just wrote 1 episode you know there is 12 in total right?:why: and just for argument sake even with all those so called consultants (which I am positive was just to give this credibility amongst hip hop heads) do you think the final product was authentic?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
He just wrote 1 episode you know there is 12 in total right?:why: and just for argument sake even with all those so called consultants (which I am positive was just to give this credibility amongst hip hop heads) do you think the final product was authentic?
Oh who wrote the other ones?
Uh yeah, what was so unauthentic about it? I mean all my knowledge of the era is second hand, I wasn't in the Bronx in 1977, I'm sure you weren't either. lol

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Oh who wrote the other ones?
Uh yeah, what was so unauthentic about it? I mean all my knowledge of the era is second hand, I wasn't in the Bronx in 1977, I'm sure you weren't either. lol
You need to have been in that era to know no one in the 70s rapped like ra-ra?K,

Keep arguing just for argument sake dude:martin:

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
yeah better than I expected.

haven't watched the last episode yet tho...

could be way better tho if they focused more on hiphop with disco/mylene shyt on the side but its seems the other way. hopefully that change in season 2.

also that flying tiger/bruce lee/dragon fantasy kung fu stuff was fukking up the show and making it a joke...so was the musical part. thankfully its not in their much.

was the kung fu shyt even a big part of hiphop in 70's ? thought that was 90's wutang shyt to be honest. forgive my ignorance if im wrong.lol

oh and they had zeke so fukkin simpish and crying like a fukkin fakkit all over the place..shyt was disgraceful for a so called street kid. glad shaolin said fukk that bytch...he a nice character.

and that big bertha bytch is disgusting.lol shaolin be selling his ass like a bytch....shyt only funny cause the her son be mad as hell. also I think her cokehead/disco dancing son tryna kill her off tho so he can take over the business.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The show cost 120 mill and the 1st weekend it was out the talk around it was lukewarm at best. I had my personal problems with it (not enough not to watch the final 6 episodes if they were ever released).

If it is done I will put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the person who decided on the lack of melanin in the creative process. Baz luhrman and hip hop was always going to be a strange mixture. Lol at they captured the essence of hip hop culture though

Ps not sure I am feeling this new Netflix which cancels shows now yet still won't release the metric they are gauging these shows off of
this is a load of nonsense