The Get Down Part 1 & 2 (Official Thread)

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
I like the show, but it has plenty of flaws that keep it from being objectively great to me. The quirky "action" sequences with shaolin, the advanced flow and rhyme schemes these kids are using in 77 - the dawn of hip hop :childplease:, i also can't relate to these girls at all

yeah, I mean you can nitpick, esp since the first beat you hear flash spin at that party, is from a record made in 1978 and the show is set in 1977.

But hey I appreciate the show for what it is. For the most part they did a good job capturing the late 70s.

H.S.

All Star
Daps
Finally finished this. It was dope overall. A lot better than I thought it would be. I hope they don't abandon the crime stuff in season 2.

It would be dope if Shaolin continued hustling and Books took the internship.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
The lead in this is so wack

And they are still trying to pass Gus as hispanic:heh:
His name is Giancarlo Esposito :leostare: What makes you think he isnt? (*Nvm, Googled it. He a mixed italian dude.)

Have we talked about why Zeke holds his pencil so fukking weirdly
I actually hold my pen like that. I remember someone trying to correct me for picture day in kindergarten, (we posed with a pencil). I just keep putting it back the way I like it.

just started watching this. why ol' girl look just like aaliyah???

Nah b, not at all. She looks more like Paula Patton.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
I hated Mylene from that curve at the club throughout the rest of the show. She told him he wasn't shyt and would hold her back from her dream then like you say next time she sees him she's asking for favors like shyt is sweet. Gets the favor then misses the duality of her doing the same thing to him that her parents did to her, tried to block him from doing music he cared about because she didn't understand it. Then after she gave up the p*ssy and set up the internship meant to kill his dream acted like he owed her a favor even though she was she was pushing him to be what she wanted. Not to mention she barley thanked him for saving her life getting her out of that club that got shot up, that he tried to warn her not to go to in the first place. She was cute but she needs to reside in the bushes.:camby:

Her disco career is taking off right near the death of disco and the boys are about to take off with Hip-Hop.

Harsh realities coming soon for that selfish bih :takedat:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like the show, but it has plenty of flaws that keep it from being objectively great to me. The quirky "action" sequences with shaolin, the advanced flow and rhyme schemes these kids are using in 77 - the dawn of hip hop :childplease:, i also can't relate to these girls at all

Watching the first episode....nikkas was not spitting bars like that in 77

:mjlol:
When Dizzee discovers 808s when trying to speak to aliens :banderas:

I wanna see how they gonna show the crack era.
Shaolin :mjcry:

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Finally finished this. It was dope overall. A lot better than I thought it would be. I hope they don't abandon the crime stuff in season 2.

It would be dope if Shaolin continued hustling and Books took the internship.
Well we all know what happened in the 80s crack era so its a given.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Finally starting, shyt is dope. Mylene fine ass :banderas:

Gustavo Fring :banderas:

Reminds me of Everybody Hates Chris

Silkk

Daps
This shyt so dope and i still got 30 minutes left on the first ep

Silkk

Daps
She served up that Ether raw & uncut

kqxXPoO.gif

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
It's good, it didn't have me majorly hooked like other series like I thought it would, but I like it. I don't know why they decided to release half the episodes now and the rest next year, that's some bullshyt.

Mylene is annoying at times, I didn't know the black friend Yolanda is 26, damn. The main character and the other boys with the exception of Jaden Smith the weirdo, trying too hard to be different, freakazoid ass are good characters. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me Jaden was down for that shyt in the later episode.

Gus Fring's character is :scust:. Fanatical, overzealous religious parents are the WOAT. His character reminds me of some of those fake, self righteous JW 'elders' I had the misfortune of dealing with back in the day when I was young.

Shaolin is the best character on the show and I like that Cadillac dude.

I agree with other posters - I find it hard to believe some of the rhyme schemes and slang were being used like that in '77. It didn't have that 'jive' feel to it that you see in urban 70s movies.

Overall, it's not bad and definitely has some good and interesting parts, but I'm not that eager to watch the next installment like I am with Power or Narcos for example.