The Game Awards 2022 December 8th 730pm EST -Are you Excited yet?-

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Best game direction doesn't cover necessarily the totality of the game, just the general concept.

You can have a great concept but underwhelming mechanics, which death stranding did. Sekiro had a more fleshed out and funner gameplay loop and mechanics. The IDEA of what death stranding was is grander and more impressive, but it wasn't a better game in practice.

But this is all subjective.
I took them at their word but I guess they mean best creative direction rather than best direction because the video game director is involved with how the game plays as they oversee all aspects of the game. In most cases the game director was deeply involved in the gameplay loop.

I mean this isn't film where the director of a film doesn't necessary write the screenplay but they guide the filming of the screenplay with their vision to the finished product. It's much easier to separate a film director's work from the rest of the parts of a film.

Like tonight Elden Ring won both. Makes more sense if you're talking about actual game direction rather than just creative direction for the game of the year to also be the best directed game.

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
I just thought of something. At the 2019 Game Awards. Microsoft announced and showed the Xbox Series X, and showed a Hellblade 2 teaser. When that happened. A lot of Xbox fans were saying Xbox is prepared for next gen. Xbox is coming out swinging. Sony is unprepared. Fast forward to the Game awards 2022 and :francis: The same wait until next year excuse (even though I think they really are finally dropping some games next year, hopefully they’re great).

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I must thought of something. At the 2019 Game Awards. Microsoft announced and showed the Xbox Series X, and showed a Hellblade 2 teaser. When that happened. A lot of Xbox fans were saying Xbox is prepared for next gen. Xbox is coming out swinging. Sony is unprepared. Fast forward to the Game awards 2022 and :francis: The same wait until next year excuse (even though I think they really are finally dropping some games next year, hopefully they’re great).

I’m actually very surprised they didn’t show anything

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Don't know how you can win game of the year for a game with such a nonsensical story. There is literally no plot. Just a social media/meme juggernaut. This had no business beating GOW

GoW had its big cultural moment in 2018. This was Fromsofts year, they transcended gaming circles, its the same reason stray won so many awards on a much smaller level.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bill Clinton is going to wake up tomorrow and be very confused as to why he was trending on social media at the Video Game Awards. What an amusing thought.

Equally amusing is the people tweeting out #FREEHIM about the guy getting arrested, and then rushing to play it off as a pump fake when more info got out. :mjlol:

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
Don't know how you can win game of the year for a game with such a nonsensical story. There is literally no plot. Just a social media/meme juggernaut. This had no business beating GOW
Didn't expect a post like this from someone who plays video games.

I don't understand what winning the best game of the year has to do with having a story but whatever