The Fallacy of Blacks Selling Blacks - the Atlantic Slave Trade

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
On top of it being ethically wrong, its just incredibly bad business to trade human beings for material goods like rum and guns lol.

Africa had a population of around 100 million people in 1600, this was the case in the mid 19th century. I guess when you sell 10-20 million people from the populous part of Africa, bad things happen.

If the Slave Trade didn't happen, it would've been much harder for Europeans to have conquered Africa.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Africa had a population of around 100 million people in 1600, this was the case in the mid 19th century. I guess when you sell 10-20 million people from the populous part of Africa, bad things happen.

If the Slave Trade didn't happen, it would've been much harder for Europeans to have conquered Africa.

Or at least sell them for the knowledge behind the industrial technologies at the time lol.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Or at least sell them for the knowledge behind the industrial technologies at the time lol.

African leaders, since their interaction with Europeans, have largely been trading limited resources for things created by human capital. Although the process of that exchange ultimately harms Africa's ability to produce human capital.

1811 example - The king of Ashanti sells Fante to the Dutch in exchange for guns.
2011 example - The Prime Minister of Ethiopia sells land to the Chinese in exchange for building a train system.

The problem with the 2011 example is that China isn't increasing Ethiopia's ability to make things like trams, rails. Moreover, the trains may be operated by the Chinese!

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
:mjlol:

Doesn't matter if it was different ethnic groups that sold other ethnic groups into slavery. It's still deplorable.

Doesn't matter if it wasn't chattel slavery, it's still deplorable.
Yea put them in cages to be slaves to corporations.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Black people becoming black in the New World is dumb and I expected better from this YouTuber. Africans been aware that they were black. Still watching tho.

I think it depends. The Igbo, for example, gained a stronger self awareness of themselves in the Americas. Though, they spoke a mutually intelligible language and worshipped the same deities - Igboland was politically divided in those days.

A similar process occurred when Nigeria was incorporated as a British colony.