The Fallacy of Blacks Selling Blacks - the Atlantic Slave Trade

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Of course its effects are real. But it's not real in any scientific way.
So if you acknowledge that the effects are real, why try to minimize it by saying its not real in any scientific way? Whats the point of that statement?

Race may not be "real" but i know that my skin does not burn and peel like that of a Nordic. Race is a "social construct" but there are some key differences between the different races/ethnicities out here.

VegasCAC

Leader of #CACset
Supporter
Daps
So if you acknowledge that the effects are real, why try to minimize it by saying its not real in any scientific way? Whats the point of that statement?

Race may not be "real" but i know that my skin does not burn and peel like that of a Nordic. Race is a "social construct" but there are some key differences between the different races/ethnicities out here.

I'm not minimizing it, I'm saying that understanding that it's a social contruct obliterates a large part of the logic of white supremacy, and white supremacist viewpoints like "well black people sold black people in Africa, so it's okay" are nonsensical.

There's genetic differences by haplogroup, but race is a made up bracketing device for ethnic groups where in reality none exists: human skin color varies and runs all over the spectrum regardless of artificial constructs.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I'm not minimizing it, I'm saying that understanding that it's a social contruct obliterates a large part of the logic of white supremacy, and white supremacist viewpoints like "well black people sold black people in Africa, so it's okay" are nonsensical.

There's genetic differences by haplogroup, but race is a made up bracketing device for ethnic groups where in reality none exists: human skin color varies and runs all over the spectrum regardless of artificial constructs.

But Race is very much a real scientific thing...we can pretty accurately identify if someone is Black, White or Asian...scientifically...

Even if Race is a biological thing...doesn't mean we have to destroy, belittle and subjugate people of different races than our own...

Even as a social construct, a nation is a social construct, money is a social construct, time is a social construct...

Just because something is social construct, does not mean it is not "real", race is very much real...based off of land of origin, language, appearance, and ancestry.

VegasCAC

Leader of #CACset
Supporter
Daps
But Race is very much a real scientific thing...we can pretty accurately identify if someone is Black, White or Asian...scientifically...

Even if Race is a biological thing...doesn't mean we have to destroy, belittle and subjugate people of different races than our own...

Even as a social construct, a nation is a social construct, money is a social construct, time is a social construct...

Just because something is social construct, does not mean it is not "real", race is very much real...based off of land of origin, language, appearance, and ancestry.

No, race cannot be measured scientifically. It can be measured pseudoscientifically (like phrenology) or socially though. Read Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould.

Race is subjectively real in that it determines lived realities, but it isn't real in any scientific sense, nor was it a fully developed concept historically until relatively recently in human development.

VegasCAC

Leader of #CACset
Supporter
Daps
You really think I give a fukk? Why should any black person value your white boy opinion in real life?

Well, you're asking a question so I think you do give a fukk :francis:

And why should anyone value anyone's opinion? Because the opinion has merit :francis:

Prince Mongo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ashlar Hall, Memphis
Well, you're asking a question so I think you do give a fukk :francis:

And why should anyone value anyone's opinion? Because the opinion has merit :francis:
I don't give a fukk about some damn dap-post ratio, and you know that had nothing to do with what I originally asked. What makes you think your opinion has any merit to any black person? What makes you think you have the ability to provide any commentary about black related subjects?

VegasCAC

Leader of #CACset
Supporter
Daps
I don't give a fukk about some damn dap-post ratio, and you know that had nothing to do with what I originally asked. What makes you think your opinion has any merit to any black person? What makes you think you have the ability to provide any commentary about black related subjects?

On this site, because people dap and rep my posts, and agree/talk about my perspectives, really no other way to measure it.

In real life, because black people and I listen and engage with each other in reasonable, intellectual dialogue about these kinds of subjects.

The race of the participant in discussion doesn't make or break the merit of their opinion (or the merit of the person), although in discussions like this it can be an indicator of validity (white people are usually ignorant/wrong). However, indication isn't necessarily causation. Just because it's given by a white person does not always mean that an opinion is meritless or wrong, because the race of the giver of opinion is inconsequential to the actual logic and resemblance to truth of the argument.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
If people realized race is a social construct produced via historical processes and not something that dropped out of heaven we'd all be better off :francis:
Human beings are 98% the same at the genetic level.

We'd be better off if we realized; we're all the chattel of the 1%. No matter how they define you; they define you that way to justify holding you down.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Slavery whether rooted in racism or ethnicism is still slavery and it is still wrong. The race or ethnicity of an oppressor does not minimize/justify their actions. White or Black.

On top of it being ethically wrong, its just incredibly bad business to trade human beings for material goods like rum and guns lol.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
This is a dumb argument. Selling human as commodity/capital especially for pennies on the dollar will always be dumb regardless of what constructs you work in.

@Poitier has a point. The argument is dumb. Tribes, states and empires sold other Africans - there was no concept of 'African'. Unlike, in European thought. Fulani sold Yorubas. Ijaws sold Igbos. But, Europeans sold African peoples. Regardless, there is an onus on European imperialists for going to Africa to buy enslaved peoples and then continuing a racial caste system which killed millions.
:ehh: