The Existential Erosion of Black Los Angeles

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
That article hit on so much stuff I grew up hearing from older folks.

Seeing that decline in real time has been no joke.

I have a great-Aunt left in Compton, that’s it. Everybody else is either out in the IE, Sacramento, or Arizona smh.
Sacramento is losing Black ppl too
I think phx is gaining them tho

Last edited:

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
Sacramento is allegedly losing black people. We've never had a loss of Black people in a decennial Census...

I moved there in 2010, and then back home, and back out there I forgot what year

All together I stayed out there like 6 to 8 years

I'm a pioneer

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

I moved there in 2010, and then back home, and back out there I forgot what year

All together I stayed out there like 6 to 8 years

I'm a pioneer
I'm talking about Sacramento...

Phoenix and Vegas have been attracting black people in droves for 30 years now. What did you like about Phoenix?

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Sacramento is losing Black ppl to
I think phx is gaining them tho
I wouldn’t doubt it, I was last out there in 21’. There definitely felt like more of us compared to what I noticed in the past but our overall footprint in the city still felt lacking.
:francis:

Out west, we’re so spread out so thin nowadays it’s a shame. I don’t think we’ll have see the kind of concentrations of Black folks we had in LA, Oakland, etc.

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
I'm talking about Sacramento...

Phoenix and Vegas have been attracting black people in droves for 30 years now. What did you like about Phoenix?
I know, I just wanted to bring it up

Nothing but that they had jobs out there

I quit a job I had for 5 months in another state that let you come home for a month, and you came back on another tour

I had a layover in phoenix on my way back home, and stayed there because I knew I'd be sitting at my parents unemployed when I got back home

Being a minority in a major city was a culture shock

I wish I ended up in inglewood instead

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
I wouldn’t doubt it, I was last out there in 21’. There definitely felt like more of us compared to what I noticed in the past but our overall footprint in the city still felt lacking.

Out west, we’re so spread out so thin nowadays it’s a shame. I don’t think we’ll have see the kind of concentrations of Black folks we had in LA, Oakland, etc.
Probably a reflection of our overall loss of community

Or lack of redlining

shyt bring it back I want Black cities and neighborhoods!

I'm joking...

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
My family along with hundreds of Belizeans moved to South Central in the 80’s. My grandmother bought her house for under 100K. Same house is assessed at 700K. Many people probably sold and moved to the Inland Empire.

Last time I was there a few years back I saw Mexicans and some Asians moved into the neighborhood.

I don’t know if I’d move if the house was available to me. I tried buying the house when my Uncle moved back to Belize, but my Aunt ended up with it. Took out the equity and moved to Belize.

I love and miss LA, but I don’t like taxes. I don’t pay FED tax due to my job but I do pay state tax. GA gives me most if not all of it back. Idk if Cali would do the same. Them property taxes might kill a ninja. I’m paying 4K in GA right now for a 350k home. I can only imagine the taxes for a 700k home.

I can deal with the traffic. Did the smog get better?

SoCal is the GOAT location in the US. Best weather, Big Bear is not too far, Vegas is four hours away, the beach, no snow, Pachanga, etc. If Cali politics didn’t suck so much, I’d move back.