The Existential Erosion of Black Los Angeles

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I love LA but it's def the weirdest major city I've been to. You just don't FEEL black people around you, in a weird way. Like if I go to a suburban area of any state and don't see black people it doesn't feel too odd since you just assume the black people live in the cities. But when I'm in LA even though I know the demographic numbers...you just have this sense that you should be seeing more black people. I can't explain it.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I love LA but it's def the weirdest major city I've been to. You just don't FEEL black people around you, in a weird way. Like if I go to a suburban area of any state and don't see black people it doesn't feel too odd since you just assume the black people live in the cities. But when I'm in LA even though I know the demographic numbers...you just have this sense that you should be seeing more black people. I can't explain it.
I didn't know Inglewood is a whole different city until just recently

And they got 30% Black ppl?!?!

Would have loved to live there

Last edited:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My family along with hundreds of Belizeans moved to South Central in the 80’s. My grandmother bought her house for under 100K. Same house is assessed at 700K. Many people probably sold and moved to the Inland Empire.

Last time I was there a few years back I saw Mexicans and some Asians moved into the neighborhood.

I don’t know if I’d move if the house was available to me. I tried buying the house when my Uncle moved back to Belize, but my Aunt ended up with it. Took out the equity and moved to Belize.

I love and miss LA, but I don’t like taxes. I don’t pay FED tax due to my job but I do pay state tax. GA gives me most if not all of it back. Idk if Cali would do the same. Them property taxes might kill a ninja. I’m paying 4K in GA right now for a 350k home. I can only imagine the taxes for a 700k home.

I can deal with the traffic. Did the smog get better?

SoCal is the GOAT location in the US. Best weather, Big Bear is not too far, Vegas is four hours away, the beach, no snow, Pachanga, etc. If Cali politics didn’t suck so much, I’d move back.
TBH the fall of black LA really started in the 80s when people was moving out to the Valley and IE in droves. My family has a similar story and still this day I'm mad my cousins lost my grandmas Spanish villa Inglewood for delinquent taxes. She had just passed away only 2 years before it got taken.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Bushed
Daps
Any area where black people used to own homes in, Mexicans now own those homes.

Blame structural racism. Obama was the final blow.

Black people in LA were hit with the worst racial terrorism on the planet from a state and federal level for decades.

Systematically dismantled us. California is the blueprint for structural racism.

Our downfall is the same reason why so many CACS, Mexicans, and Asians have their own communities and drive around in Teslas.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
Someone on here said it before but outside a few pocket areas, black LA isnt going to be like it use to. Still pretty amazing the cultural hold AAs have on the City/State.