The Decline of Gaming

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

The video is a little long (about 30 minutes) but its a good watch. The guy hits on a lot of points about how a lot of people (including me) feel about gaming.

Timestamps:

#1 Perceiving the Decline

#2 Complacency

#3 Abundance of Remakes, Remasters

#4 Chasing Trend (Early Access)

#5 Games As a Service, Updates, Online Only, Broken Launches

#6 Corporatization of Gaming

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I didn’t watch but video games companies running the business like a corporation and nickle and diming us is the worst thing. What happened to Bethesda and Capcom is a good example of how corporate greed fukked up the reputation of two of the best companies. Oh and you can throw BioWare into that convo.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
I basically quit these new games are 90% trash it ain't worth the investment anymore

When an actual good game comes out (Titanfall 2) it feels like a damn fluke

Playing arcade games on a CRT monitor >>>>>>>>>> 4K cinematic bore fest

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So while I agree with this, I also disagree.

I think it's heavily a matter of perspective.

I think older games up until around the ps2 and OG xbox are the best gaming experiences personally, BUT a lot of the is enhanced by nostalgia, and how you HAD to interact with others locally for alot of the best multiplayer experiences.

A big problem with games now is they don't really want to challenge the user base... they tell you where to do all the time, everything autosaves, normal mode is like a super easy mode and there's a ton of DLC and add on stuff that should be already in the games.

Most of the games now I have to turn on the hardest or second to hardest difficulty JUST to have a challenge....

Also alot of games now are full of FLUFF to pad the game with extra hours of game play.

But there are a ton of indie games on all platforms that are really innovative and out there.

Gaming is actually in a space much like music, where it's a TON of main stream stuff out there that is just water down and generic, but there's a lot of stuff that you have to search for that probably right up your ally.

The biggest issue for me with indie games and early access games is it ruins the experience for me playing unfinished or polished games.... I'll just wait for the final product or the demo

But if you are a kid/teen/mid 20's now the options you have to play games are insane. Even with only 30 bucks a month you have a ton of options from game fly, to Game pass, steam and even nintendies.