The DCCU takeover is just a year away.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
its finally over marvel brehs, we've won :mjcry:
It does speak to the power of word of mouth, amplified by social media.

CA: Civil War was the turning point imo. Some say it wasn't as good p4p as CA:WS but that's irrelevant b/c it was close enough and established they could deliver an A+ product that can be fun, serious, diverse, and collaborative (buncha characters + sony deal) on a massive scale.

Probably their most important movie bc now there's so much good will established that MCU feels more like event movies than comic book movies. Something for nearly everyone, be it black white male female kid, etc.

Whereas with DC, even with BvS making close to a billion in the box office, we see now why there was such a concern over poor word of mouth. Even Suicide Squad, which did bank (and had a lot of hype despite reviews) didn't really capitalize on the strong diversity and collaborative aspect it had, to give something for everyone to come back to.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

CA: Civil War was the turning point imo. Some say it wasn't as good p4p as CA:WS but that's irrelevant b/c it was close enough and established they could deliver an A+ product that can be fun, serious, diverse, and collaborative (buncha characters + sony deal) on a massive scale.

Probably their most important movie bc now there's so much good will established that MCU feels more like event movies than comic book movies. Something for nearly everyone, be it black white male female kid, etc.

Whereas with DC, even with BvS making close to a billion in the box office, we see now why there was such a concern over poor word of mouth. Even Suicide Squad, which did bank (and had a lot of hype despite reviews) didn't really capitalize on the strong diversity and collaborative aspect it had, to give something for everyone to come back to.

Yea.... its crazy how at the end of 2017.... its finally comes to a head where you see 2 companies going in 2 completely different directions. DC is the 2017 Lonzo Ball of this comic book movie shyt and at this point there should no longer be a concern or thought of "beating Marvel, being different from Marvel and doing everything opposite of what Marvel does" and more of a concern of just making consistent high quality movies from the start of production to the theater debut.

If they can just get a string of good hits they may be on their way again. But Marvel should not come out their directors mouths, their president, the actors, and most importantly their stans mouths for the next 3-5 years.

I dont even wanna hear them use words that have "M" in it and they may have to just create a new language/dialogue replacing the "M's" with "L's"

Martha

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta

If DC got a chance to do it over again, they should've given us at least two standalone origin movies. Going from Man of Steel straight to the meet up film of BvS was where they went wrong. They got impatient and wanted to get where Marvel was at that point. If they had put Wonder Woman right after MoS, it might've made BvS better cause now Wonder Woman's presence in the world makes more sense and you get an extra film to build the tension between the two and tell a deeper story.

And Suicide Squad is kind of just there. Yeah Batman and Flash made an appearance, but you could've taken them out and nothing would've changed. There was no real tie-in to the entire universe.

All of this is a lesson is patience. Universal did the same mess trying to jump the gun on a cinematic universe with the new Mummy and it backfired. Fans would've been cool if the origin films came before the meet up films in order to build the universe. Marvel can take chances on films like Ant-Man and GotG because of the foundation that was set up. DC has so many great characters that could've been included in the DCEU, but we'll probably never get a chance to see them now :francis:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
If DC got a chance to do it over again, they should've given us at least two standalone origin movies. Going from Man of Steel straight to the meet up film of BvS was where they went wrong. They got impatient and wanted to get where Marvel was at that point. If they had put Wonder Woman right after MoS, it might've made BvS better cause now Wonder Woman's presence in the world makes more sense and you get an extra film to build the tension between the two and tell a deeper story.

And Suicide Squad is kind of just there. Yeah Batman and Flash made an appearance, but you could've taken them out and nothing would've changed. There was no real tie-in to the entire universe.

All of this is a lesson is patience. Universal did the same mess trying to jump the gun on a cinematic universe with the new Mummy and it backfired. Fans would've been cool if the origin films came before the meet up films in order to build the universe. Marvel can take chances on films like Ant-Man and GotG because of the foundation that was set up. DC has so many great characters that could've been included in the DCEU, but we'll probably never get a chance to see them now :francis:

Oh shyt!!

Don’t spoil it for me..... but are you saying in The Mummy there are more characters from their Universe in it other than The Mummy?

I still haven’t had a chance to peep it yet

Martha

Daps
Reppin
Metro Atlanta
Oh shyt!!

Don’t spoil it for me..... but are you saying in The Mummy there are more characters from their Universe in it other than The Mummy?

Martha
My bad breh. But yeah Universal basically wanted to create a cinematic universe using all of the old classic monsters. There is one significant character in the Mummy who was supposed to act as that universe's Nick Fury. But the movie flopped so now there's talk of Universal bushing the whole idea. It was actually a nice idea, just bad execution.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

I'm on a boycott of DC until they do right by John Stewart (haven't watched WW or JL), so i never really go past the peripheral in talking about what they've done right/wrong with their cinematic universe... but if i were to go a little more in-depth with what i have seen, I'd say i agree with you that it is a lesson in patience..

..but i'd also emphasize that there's so many layers of their self-induced impatience that i think a Batman/Superman film actually could've worked if they'd just kept the impatience top level (i.e. we just want a movie with Batman and Superman) instead of having it permeate down to every pore of the film trying to throw all these easter eggs and plotlines and additional characters.

i.e. If I was advising the DCEU, i'm not calling it Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. That's just a stupid name that's laughably heavy handed. I'm calling a Batman and Superman movie "The World's Finest" b/c that's what their called in the comics and it speaks to their gravitas. And they're not fighting each other, instead they're learning about what makes the other tick (as they solve a bigger case that leads to whatever villain) and we the audience are observing and learning why they have their well publicized ying/yang partnership. The most important part of a Batman/Superman movie is when they first meet.. and the conversation had to be greater than "do you bleed?"

And I wouldn't have introduced Wonder Woman in this movie. Everything should have focused on the differences, common ground, and charisma of Batman and Superman. You win the audience on that.

There's other stuff i'd do different, and i'm speaking from the perspective of someone whose been reading comics close to 20 years now (both DC and Marvel), but that's about all the energy i want to expend on them until i see some Green Lantern castings.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Oh shyt!!

Martha
i actually liked the Mummy.
shyt was wall to wall fukkery!

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

I said this when they first announced they were making BvS but nobody was trying to hear me.

In retrospect even if DC did everything you just said, it would've have made a difference because the quality of work they put out has been subpar.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
all these goddamn'd "This DC movie was underrated" threads gonna be gettin upped like a mug now.
:beli:

like the shyt you like and stop comparing that weak shyt to MARVEL shyt.
shyts a fukkin Reynolds Wrap!

in the immortal words of the group 112...

"its over noooooooow!!
ITS OVER NOOOOOOW!!"
:okmarvelmelo:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
My bad breh. But yeah Universal basically wanted to create a cinematic universe using all of the old classic monsters. There is one significant character in the Mummy who was supposed to act as that universe's Nick Fury. But the movie flopped so now there's talk of Universal bushing the whole idea. It was actually a nice idea, just bad execution.
I don't get it with these movie makers. They made a bad movie (The Mummy), so they want to scrap the idea. Instead of saying,"Hey....ya know what, folks won't come out and see some ole bullshyt. Let's get some quality writers and a quality director in here and take our time and cultivate this dark universe." NOPE. It's like they realized they'd have to do some real work and actually put out a decent product so they said fukk it and left. SMH.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

I'm on a boycott of DC until they do right by John Stewart (haven't watched WW or JL), so i never really go past the peripheral in talking about what they've done right/wrong with their cinematic universe... but if i were to go a little more in-depth with what i have seen, I'd say i agree with you that it is a lesson in patience..

..but i'd also emphasize that there's so many layers of their self-induced impatience that i think a Batman/Superman film actually could've worked if they'd just kept the impatience top level (i.e. we just want a movie with Batman and Superman) instead of having it permeate down to every pore of the film trying to throw all these easter eggs and plotlines and additional characters.

i.e. If I was advising the DCEU, i'm not calling it Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. That's just a stupid name that's laughably heavy handed. I'm calling a Batman and Superman movie "The World's Finest" b/c that's what their called in the comics and it speaks to their gravitas. And they're not fighting each other, instead they're learning about what makes the other tick (as they solve a bigger case that leads to whatever villain) and we the audience are observing and learning why they have their well publicized ying/yang partnership. The most important part of a Batman/Superman movie is when they first meet.. and the conversation had to be greater than "do you bleed?"

And I wouldn't have introduced Wonder Woman in this movie. Everything should have focused on the differences, common ground, and charisma of Batman and Superman. You win the audience on that.

There's other stuff i'd do different, and i'm speaking from the perspective of someone whose been reading comics close to 20 years now (both DC and Marvel), but that's about all the energy i want to expend on them until i see some Green Lantern castings.
Great points. I actually watched a video this weekend that had similar ideas on why the DCU and Dark Universe didn't work. Basically saying you need to play coy with releasing movies that are connected without saying it so loudly via the press. Eventually the audience will catch on and be more likely to be invested.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I don't get it with these movie makers. They made a bad movie (The Mummy), so they want to scrap the idea. Instead of saying,"Hey....ya know what, folks won't come out and see some ole bullshyt. Let's get some quality writers and a quality director in here and take our time and cultivate this dark universe." NOPE. It's like they realized they'd have to do some real work and actually put out a decent product so they said fukk it and left. SMH.

Wb execs are most likely touching too many things. I have a thought that the reason Affleck wants to leave is cause of their control.

Stupid squares always want to tell artists that to do so they think they're creative too.