THE DARK TOWER - (Official Thread)

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess, I just love the books and I cannot see idris in the role at all. I couldnt see bardem in it either. I dont think either would be a good choice.

Idris would make a better bond than roland. Idris is too much of a pretty boy for rolands character. Rolands pretty much a beaten down old man. Hes not suave and cool like elba.

He'd make a great villian...he'd be too old

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
it's really 4 stories that he wrote over the course of 13 years that he then strung together into one story.

It reads like it is.... clumsy, boring and disjointled in turns.

But a young me was :gladbron::banderas: when he stood in the street and wiped out that town.

And yeah, since Justified, I really couldnt see anyone else but Olyphant playing Roland. He's just made for the shyt.

i read the first book.... bored the shyt out of me. I remember while reading the book i was thinking...(man if they ever make a movie timothy olyphant could play this guy roland). Anyway, lots of ppl love these books, i just couldn't get into them :yeshrug:
I read the stand, pet cemetery and salems lot (i thought they were ok )
I just couldn't finish the first book of the dark tower

Tbf the Gunslinger was the most boring of the books. If I didn't have it in audiobook form I probably wouldn't have finished it. Luckily I came up on the cd's for that and the second book. Listening to "the drawing of the 3" on the way to and from work had me absolutely hooked. It ended up being my 2nd favorite book series after the Easy Rawlins mysteries. Still after many re-reads I still will skip the first book cause it was a chore to get through most of it. I will give King credit though, he made me feel every bit of that desolate Ness and futility that Roland felt chasing theman in black throughout that story. shyt felt barren and hopeless. I can see McConaughey beasting as Martin/Randall Flagg/the Man in Black.

isnt that the bad guy from the stand?
The story never got me and i dropped it after the first book. I mean
when i was reading the gunslinger, roland was doing all this shyt going trough a door from a world to another and seeing trough some other guys eyes and shyt like that.... I was like "how is he doing this",out of the blue" . I know it's a fantasy but come on give me some explanation. Idk if king does explain how roland was capable of doing these things. GRRM said it best . You need to be very careful with handling magic in books. To much magic will mean that everything is possible and it will ruin the book

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
So they casting a black guy in a role where the story requires him to be white because the other main character is a black woman and one of the themes of the story is that she doesn't trust him because he is a white man...

So now they pretty much have to cast a white woman to take the place of the black woman character...

When they could have just got a white guy to play a white guy...and a black woman to play a black woman...

I'm an Idris stan but this is the type of shyt hollywood does that needlessly complicates a movie...

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
i read the first book.... bored the shyt out of me. I remember while reading the book i was thinking...(man if they ever make a movie timothy olyphant could play this guy roland). Anyway, lots of ppl love these books, i just couldn't get into them :yeshrug:
I read the stand, pet cemetery and salems lot (i thought they were ok )
I just couldn't finish the first book of the dark tower

Breh I did the same thing. Read the first book years ago. . Then kinda forgot about it. Old chick I knew gave me the book again years later. . I gave it another try and was hooked. . Ended up buying the rest of the books off Amazon. It takes a crazy wild adventure. I am looking forward to this movie. Hope Idris is cast.

Daps
:mjlol: nikka, what????? You could arguably say "The Stand" over "The Dark Tower", but that's arguable. Misery ain't even in his Top 5

Books that are nearly a thousand pages of unnecessary phrasing are not anywhere near masterpieces. Economy of words is important. You do not understand that though.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Books that are nearly a thousand pages of unnecessary phrasing are not anywhere near masterpieces. Economy of words is important. You do not understand that though.

Hun, I'm a writer. So I know there aren't really any rules when it comes to a story's impact and word economy. There are people who are sparse with their words and say nothing, and leave no impact, and visa versa. There are also people who have word diarrhea and bore people to tears, and there are people like King who can write a 800 page epic with a lot of extra words that will continue to impact readers for generations to come.

Daps
Hun, I'm a writer. So I know there aren't really any rules when it comes to a story's impact and word economy. There are people who are sparse with their words and say nothing, and leave no impact, and visa versa. There are also people who have word diarrhea and bore people to tears, and there are people like King who can write a 800 page epic with a lot of extra words that will continue to impact readers for generations to come.

Stephen King is not one of those people, but if it excites you, then that is all that matters.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
So i guess this is happening.... How is this a movie :mindblown:
How are they gonna turn 8 books into a movie? Why they aren't making a tv series is beyond me.
Never even finished the first book. I would rather see The Stand made into a movie :yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Honestly though,I still wish they would just make it into a big budget GOT type show on HBO. The story is too dense and the tone and story shifts too much for movies. It would be perfect for a tv show because each season of shows are expected to be different. I mean if the first movie is just straight up an adaption of the gunslinger I really dont see it finding a bigger audience as it doesnt give you the expetancy of whats to come.

Isn't the plan for them to do three movies and three interconnected HBO shows? I swear I read that somewhere

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They still want to do the interconnected TV series. Now because MRC is behind it, the TV series could end up at NETFLIX. They have a very close relationship with Netflix, as MRC is the TV studio behind House of Cards and OZARK (New Series starring Jason Bateman that is like Breaking Bad) But it could also end up at HBO.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
FWXiUOs.png

Ibv6GAD.png

'The Dark Tower' rises: Stephen King confirms stars Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey

It’s easy to imagine that phrase being The Dark Tower’s version of “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away …,” serving to introduce almost any part of the saga. But this first film will not adapt the plot of the first book, The Gunslinger, published in 1982.
[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says.