THE DARK TOWER - (Official Thread)

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Are they still doing the tv show & movie trilogy or is this just a movie trilogy?

I remember hbo was trying to do this for years but wouldn't commit to the movie trilogy and whoever owns the property was very adamant about wanting this to be a movie trilogy with 10 episode miniseries airing on tv between each movie

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
First of all,misleading fukking thread title.

But,this doesnt make sense,to me. Roland is white,which normally doesnt matter but a huge part of the story is that susan,one of the major characters is black and doesnt trust him because he is white. Theres a lot more to it than that but casting idris youd have to rewrite significant amounts of the story.
Hunk muhfuh just gonna turned to c00n whenever Susanna talking bout Roland. The coli will love it....or think they stole it from here:patrice:

On some real shyt though him being black isn't really that much of an issue to me. Susannah/Detta can still display her dislike and distrust of him and make it racially motivated by calling him all types of toms and c00ns for hanging with a bunch of ofays and hunk mofos. I share the same worry in thinking that Idris seems too suave and debonair to play the rough and rugged, man out of place role that Roland mostly has.

Now I still haven't watched Beast of no nation, and maybe that is more revealing of his capabilities in this potential role, so I'm not writing Idris off. But I still see Roland as 1 guy. As cliche as it may be I feel like that role was written specifically for Clint Eastwood. Tall, gruff, older cowboy from a forgotten time who stay shooting and smoking. It's not like he's even too old, hell Roland old ass had rheumatoid arthritis. I'm probably a bit biased toward Eastwood playing that part subconsciously due to the audiobooks, cause the guy doing the reading seemed like he was trying to channel Clint during Roland's parts, so that's all I saw in my head.

But again I ain't mad at Idris getting this opportunity. This will give him a chance at a different type of role and display his range. Maybe he knocks this shyt out the park, if it ever gets made of course. Would love to see a black man killing shyt in a role that was originally written for a white man. White folks would be mad as shyt. Hollywood whitewash so much shyt when it comes to us and other races, so fukk'em:yeshrug:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
i read the first book.... bored the shyt out of me. I remember while reading the book i was thinking...(man if they ever make a movie timothy olyphant could play this guy roland). Anyway, lots of ppl love these books, i just couldn't get into them :yeshrug:
I read the stand, pet cemetery and salems lot (i thought they were ok )
I just couldn't finish the first book of the dark tower
Tbf the Gunslinger was the most boring of the books. If I didn't have it in audiobook form I probably wouldn't have finished it. Luckily I came up on the cd's for that and the second book. Listening to "the drawing of the 3" on the way to and from work had me absolutely hooked. It ended up being my 2nd favorite book series after the Easy Rawlins mysteries. Still after many re-reads I still will skip the first book cause it was a chore to get through most of it. I will give King credit though, he made me feel every bit of that desolate Ness and futility that Roland felt chasing theman in black throughout that story. shyt felt barren and hopeless. I can see McConaughey beasting as Martin/Randall Flagg/the Man in Black.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Tbf the Gunslinger was the most boring of the books. If I didn't have it in audiobook form I probably wouldn't have finished it. Luckily I came up on the cd's for that and the second book. Listening to "the drawing of the 3" on the way to and from work had me absolutely hooked. It ended up being my 2nd favorite book series after the Easy Rawlins mysteries. Still after many re-reads I still will skip the first book cause it was a chore to get through most of it. I will give King credit though, he made me feel every bit of that desolate Ness and futility that Roland felt chasing theman in black throughout that story. shyt felt barren and hopeless. I can see McConaughey beasting as Martin/Randall Flagg/the Man in Black.
isnt that the bad guy from the stand?
The story never got me and i dropped it after the first book. I mean
when i was reading the gunslinger, roland was doing all this shyt going trough a door from a world to another and seeing trough some other guys eyes and shyt like that.... I was like "how is he doing this",out of the blue" . I know it's a fantasy but come on give me some explanation. Idk if king does explain how roland was capable of doing these things. GRRM said it best . You need to be very careful with handling magic in books. To much magic will mean that everything is possible and it will ruin the book

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
isnt that the bad guy from the stand?
The story never got me and i dropped it after the first book. I mean
when i was reading the gunslinger, roland was doing all this shyt going trough a door from a world to another and seeing trough some other guys eyes and shyt like that.... I was like "how is he doing this",out of the blue" . I know it's a fantasy but come on give me some explanation. Idk if king does explain how roland was capable of doing these things. GRRM said it best . You need to be very careful with handling magic in books. To much magic will mean that everything is possible and it will ruin the book
Yes, there are quite a few characters and situations from his other books referred to in this series. It's basically the center of his literary universe.

And what GRRM said works in his books and many others, but doesn't have to be taken as a rule. Nothing wrong with the fantastical and going far beyond the limits of our reality. Just have to make sure it doesn't overshadow the overarching theme, story, or characters, and do a good job of world building so the events don't seem so far left of the rest off the story to the point where said event doesn't seem probable or possible.

In the case of the doors, the consequences and characters that they introduced was much more important than where they came from. I honestly can't remember where they originated from at the moment, but a lot of the events in that series were wrapped in mystery, some of it revealed later on in the series on the whys, some not so much. I enjoyed the story, journey, and overall growth of the characters, plus I thought the world, or world's King created in it were pretty interesting.

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
One of the GOAT book series imo. I can't see Idris Elba playing Roland but I'll probably check this out regardless.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
First of all,misleading fukking thread title.

But,this doesnt make sense,to me. Roland is white,which normally doesnt matter but a huge part of the story is that susan,one of the major characters is black and doesnt trust him because he is white. Theres a lot more to it than that but casting idris youd have to rewrite significant amounts of the story.
so he'll be pawging :jbhmm:

and she wont trust him cause he's black :ohhh:

hollywood did it again :wow: theres levels to this shyt brehs:dame:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
i read the first book.... bored the shyt out of me. I remember while reading the book i was thinking...(man if they ever make a movie timothy olyphant could play this guy roland). Anyway, lots of ppl love these books, i just couldn't get into them :yeshrug:
I read the stand, pet cemetery and salems lot (i thought they were ok )
I just couldn't finish the first book of the dark tower
i agree that i could definitely picture olyphant,if you out a strong cast around because he isnt a big draw. honestly I could picture matthew mcconaughey as roland but they hes going to be the villain possibly

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Wait. Randall Flagg from The Stand is the bad guy in this shyt too? I never got the hype for this book and never made it all the way through but The Stand is a classic
Yes, Like I said this is his magnum opus,almost every other novel hes written somehow connects back to the dark tower.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I loved the gunslinger but it really is nothing like the other books. The drawing of the three is where it really opens into what the story really is. I always tell people just keep pushing until you get at least to that book because its where it finds its footing