The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I find it easier to write about real life experiences and stories from others about real life situations. Been on a comedy kick, trying to finish a short that to me is hilarious.
that’s the key where a lot of artist lose their way. they don’t make stuff for them and hope a lot of people dig it too.

they try to cater to an audience that’s waiting to be exposed not catered to.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
that’s the key where a lot of artist lose their way. they don’t make stuff for them and hope a lot of people dig it too.

Might be true but I do the same thing when I make beats, if I like it then that's what I do. I don't make an off the wall beat that I think some dude in Nebraska is gonna dig. I have to trust my instincts and taste in things.

Doesn't mean you're wrong tho.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I find it easier to write about real life experiences and stories from others about real life situations. Been on a comedy kick, trying to finish a short that to me is hilarious.

Honestly, I don't think there's a wrong or a right way - there's only the way that works for you. You can still write something to purposefully fill a gap or cater to an audience and still make it good, and still make it you.

Sometimes (sometimes, not all the time) I feel like the idea of writing from a personal place or writing based on your experiences is a bit of a cop-out and stops you from stretching yourself as a writer or creative (or beatmaker, painter - whatever). It's good to do it once, but I feel like your very next thing shouldn't be that. Sometimes you see writers or filmmakers and it feels like their next project is about similar character types in different bodies and in a different place. A different time in their lives? Eh, that's cool, but it's still along the same lines.

There are ways to write about things outside of yourself and still imbue them with your voice. I feel like that's the difference between writing that's "about" you, and writing something that's "of" you.

In a perfect world you should be able to write a pilot about your experiences in the fast food industry and write a pilot about... a girl's volleyball coach, but someone who knew you (or eventually, an audience) should be able to tell that it was you who did both.

Just my BS thoughts on you guys' comments :russ: but good topic though

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Honestly, I don't think there's a wrong or a right way - there's only the way that works for you. You can still write something to purposefully fill a gap or cater to an audience and still make it good, and still make it you.

Sometimes (sometimes, not all the time) I feel like the idea of writing from a personal place or writing based on your experiences is a bit of a cop-out and stops you from stretching yourself as a writer or creative (or beatmaker, painter - whatever). It's good to do it once, but I feel like your very next thing shouldn't be that. Sometimes you see writers or filmmakers and it feels like their next project is about similar character types in different bodies and in a different place. A different time in their lives? Eh, that's cool, but it's still along the same lines.

There are ways to write about things outside of yourself and still imbue them with your voice. I feel like that's the difference between writing that's "about" you, and writing something that's "of" you.

In a perfect world you should be able to write a pilot about your experiences in the fast food industry and write a pilot about... a girl's volleyball coach, but someone who knew you (or eventually, an audience) should be able to tell that it was you who did both.

Just my BS thoughts on you guys' comments :russ: but good topic though
Just depends on how much you want to inncorporate in your ideas.

A moment here and there, a specific confrontation, or just a witness to hilarity and or violence, spectacle, whatever. Stuff that you couldn't make up.

It's a tough gig tho, wish I had the patience to write a full fledged script. Family life makes it hard. Ideas come and go.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
these are the books I have (disregard the dumbass stickers - it's an old out of operation desk so it's basically tattooed with any sticker I could find)

IfjLVDg.jpg

uWyCyg2.jpg
(the unlabled ones are a little book called "Writing the Pilot" and then the other 2 are little books of tv scripts i got with DVDs)

szOqqP4.jpg

not saying all of these are mandatory or even good, but I've read them all for the most part. Scriptshadow (who everyone seems to hate) posts some good articles every Thursday and I've read a few books on a Kindle. Also the blacklist "go into the story" blog has a ton of shyt.
Which are the best ones to cop?
Edit:
Breh really embarrassed bout his skater stickers lol. Think he gonna get called a c00n by a washed up coli breh who works in IT if he don't put a diaclaimer lol.

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
So I gotta give a shoutout to @satireprod I read his pilot script over the weekend and it's DOPE. Great characters, flows well and in my humble opinion is TV-ready. Just from reading that and seeing what some of ya'll are doing in this thread, we've got some serious talent on the Coli.

Man that's high praise. Appreciate it.
Don't sleep bruh, your sci-fi screenplay has box office potential, it's DEEP. A lot of levels to the storyline. The imagery was vivid.
And yeah it seems like there are a lot of talented people on here.
Can I read y'all shyt? Since it's pure labor of love and not tainted by hacky executives. I ain't trying to steal no one shyt. Hope you boys have gone to city hall and got y'all shyt copy righted.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I feel like I asked this before, but I'll ask again: You have to be in LA to truly make it, right?
As an actor? Your odds are better there than anywhere else. People misunderstand that there are plenty opportunities to make a decent living acting while waiting on that big break. Even just being an extra.

People quit if they’re not in a theatrical release or costarring with a known star. The epitome of ascension is Michael B Jordan. Gotta grind to get a check and use it wisely to hold you over so you can be more selective with roles.

As far as being a director and/or screenwriter for film then you can split time there. Like me, I will stay between Miami and LA. Reason is your agent will likely deal with studios and money people. When it’s time to shoot, then you’ll be called.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
@Conz @satireprod How would y’all feel about a separate thread focused solely on script feedback? I was thinking it could be similar to the Coli Film Club. Each week one person sends their script to a few posters via PM and gets feedback in the thread. We could even include directions and links for WGA registration and copyrighting just to be safe. I was thinking of doing the thread just wasn’t sure how many people here would truly have the time or desire to read a full length script. But I figure if we gave people a week it could work
Count me in, I got fair amount of free time. I'd write a pilot in a week

Daps
As an actor? Your odds are better there than anywhere else. People misunderstand that there are plenty opportunities to make a decent living acting while waiting on that big break. Even just being an extra.

People quit if they’re not in a theatrical release or costarring with a known star. The epitome of ascension is Michael B Jordan. Gotta grind to get a check and use it wisely to hold you over so you can be more selective with roles.

As far as being a director and/or screenwriter for film then you can split time there. Like me, I will stay between Miami and LA. Reason is your agent will likely deal with studios and money people. When it’s time to shoot, then you’ll be called.

I would like to be a TV writer. I'm 25 in Buffalo. I'm considering moving to NYC for a bit just to adapt to a big city, possibly make connections and stuff like that for two years, then move to LA. What do you think?

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Which are the best ones to cop?
Edit:
Breh really embarrassed bout his skater stickers lol. Think he gonna get called a c00n by a washed up coli breh who works in IT if he don't put a diaclaimer lol.
easier to just get out in front of anything, so you don't have to answer "yo, what's with the stickers? Why you got that sticker? etc."

I don't even know which book to recommend anymore to be honest. just go read a shytload of scripts on the net and bite their shyt.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can I read y'all shyt? Since it's pure labor of love and not tainted by hacky executives. I ain't trying to steal no one shyt. Hope you boys have gone to city hall and got y'all shyt copy righted.

Finishing up another rewrite, as soon as it’s done I’ll send it to you. And yeah I made a script feedback thread and it was a flop lol. Figured PM’ing people who are interested in this thread is the best way to get some feedback.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Figured I’d share this with y’all. Made the quarterfinals of the sci fi contest.

Disappointed I didn’t make the semis but overall it was a good learning experience. Probably most frustrating part was the professional feedback. One judge told me it was too confusing and I didn’t explain enough. Another judge from the same contest told me it was too wordy and I explained too much :martin:

There were basic critiques that I definitely agreed on and kept in mind with the rewrites but it definitely made me realize how subjective feedback is, even with the professionals.

Last edited: