The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

3rd Koast Kang

Superstar
Daps
Cool thread. I always wanted to write a screenplay but I never got a concrete idea to focus on.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
11855895_940354142691920_2048410502907920964_n.jpg

LOOK AT THAT DOOFUS IN THE RED SWEATER IN THE FRONT! :mjlol:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
:ohhh:

This thread is back on the 1st page

Got back to my screenplay recently. With the new stuff I had to add to it, it's starting to feel a lot more fleshed out. :blessed:

Also had an idea for a TV show which could be :leon:and started writing a pilot for that too. Just need to make sure the idea is water tight.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I've reached the delusion stage with my newest draftt. I know there are shortcomings, but I'm convincing myself they aren't make or break b/c of the tone and style... and i believe that's a perfectly valid excuse - therein lies the delusion. i need to put this one down for a while and move on to something new.

i feel like i followed the "screenwriting" formula. probably to a fault. but my antagonists are still crap by "movie" standards... and *delusion* i want them to be. I don't want the overall script to be about that generic showdown bullshyt where the bad guys are menacing and have guns* and you have to somehow buy that your main character can have his head blown off at any moment (like that happens often) and blah blah. fukk that crap. i just want them to be an opposing force and an inconvenience that gets in the way of the story. I set out to write an extremely tedious story and i think i did... and *delusion* i like it. im sure if i told someone that they'd tell me my approach is horrendous.

*to this day, I've written one old piece of shyt script that featured guns. Does every bad guy have to be scary strictly b/c they are packing heat? can characters "learn" without having a barrel in their face? every stupid showdown has a gun play in heavily. Go look at movie posters - if it features a character holding a gun and it isn't a war movie, it's almost certainly a giant turd of a movie. Seriously, even if it's a cop movie, if the poster has a gun it's shyt. go browse netflix. im not a rabid anti-gun nut, but i think this theory holds water. guns cheapen a ton of movies. it's just too damn easy.

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
I've reached the delusion stage with my newest draftt. I know there are shortcomings, but I'm convincing myself they aren't make or break b/c of the tone and style... and i believe that's a perfectly valid excuse - therein lies the delusion. i need to put this one down for a while and move on to something new.

i feel like i followed the "screenwriting" formula. probably to a fault. but my antagonists are still crap by "movie" standards... and *delusion* i want them to be. I don't want the overall script to be about that generic showdown bullshyt where the bad guys are menacing and have guns* and you have to somehow buy that your main character can have his head blown off at any moment (like that happens often) and blah blah. fukk that crap. i just want them to be an opposing force and an inconvenience that gets in the way of the story. I set out to write an extremely tedious story and i think i did... and *delusion* i like it. im sure if i told someone that they'd tell me my approach is horrendous.

*to this day, I've written one old piece of shyt script that featured guns. Does every bad guy have to be scary strictly b/c they are packing heat? can characters "learn" without having a barrel in their face? every stupid showdown has a gun play in heavily. Go look at movie posters - if it features a character holding a gun and it isn't a war movie, it's almost certainly a giant turd of a movie. Seriously, even if it's a cop movie, if the poster has a gun it's shyt. go browse netflix. im not a rabid anti-gun nut, but i think this theory holds water. guns cheapen a ton of movies. it's just too damn easy.
You are right tho action movies are fairly easy to make

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Any of you guys English nerds? im trying to write a logline and i can't think of an adjective to describe a character. Always a good sign...

basically a teenage girl who believes she is wise beyond her years but really isn't. "Precocious" is kind of false advertising, and i can't write "wise beyond her years but not really" in a logline. There has to a word or 2 word combo that can describe that? if that, i'll just go with something generic.

this logline sucks, right?

When her widowed Mother goes missing on Black Friday, a precocious Teen must quest into the shopping chaos with the person whose company she enjoys least – her well-meaning alcoholic Uncle.

Last edited:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Any of you guys English nerds? im trying to write a logline and i can't think of an adjective to describe a character. Always a good sign...

basically a teenage girl who believes she is wise beyond her years but really isn't. "Precocious" is kind of false advertising, and i can't write "wise beyond her years but not really" in a logline. There has to a word or 2 word combo that can describe that? if that, i'll just go with something generic.

this logline sucks, right?

On page 80, fam. I really plan on finishing :russ:

I went from 67-80 with the idea of finishing it then and there, but then the fam hit me up and we went on the hunt for some ass lol

As for the logline, the beginning makes it read like a much more sour flick than it would be, but here are some possible words/phrases to "punch it up":

a headstrong teen...
a wise-beyond-her-years teen teams with her perpetually immature, on again off again alcoholic Uncle...

When a routine Black Friday shopping trip takes an unexpected turn, a wise-beyond-her-years teen teams with her drunk-beyond-his-limits Uncle to find her missing-without-a-trace Mother. :lolbron:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
those are some good suggestions. too many hyphens, but i like it.

btw, i re-wrote a lot of shyt, but the central idea is the same. there aren't many major changes. i like to believe i improved the "bad guys" a bit by paralleling them to the 2 main characters a bit more. they were never supposed to be serious deadly threats obviously.

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
It is deceptively difficult to write a good script as I've come to figure out. I always wondered why there were writing teams but now I see as there are some complicated ideas that need to be ironed out.