The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If he wants to try out, Bluecat got their screenplay competition going on right now, regular deadline ($65 entry fee) is in two weeks, final deadline ($70) is in November.

http://bluecatscreenplay.com

Regardless of outcome you get one written analysis and a lot of their finalists and winners have developed steady careers. They're not judgmental about genre and stuff either, one of their winners was the screenplay to the Sean William Scott movie Balls Out: Gary The Tennis Coach.

I submitted my first screenplay in the '10 contest and got to the quarter finalists (which I think meant it was in the top 300 out of 3000+ screenplays) as well as being a finalist on the movie title contest. Submitted my second screenplay in the '12 contest, didn't stand a chance.

As far as screenplay competitions go it's amongst the best you can get. They've got interviews with tons of writers, the readers for the competition, they keep track of the finalists' careers and share their stories.

Apparently Bluecat has a bad rep.

Quarter-finalists were released for Final Draft's Big Break contest. Didn't make it lol

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Apparently Bluecat has a bad rep.

Quarter-finalists were released for Final Draft's Big Break contest. Didn't make it lol

In what way? I've seen online that some people are frustrated with the discrepancies in the quality of the feedback but that's about it. I sorta agree with that one as well, my first screenplay got some good feedback in the sense it actually helped me define things that could be done better. My second screenplay got two feedbacks which seemed to just sum up the bad without giving pointers on what I should improve or how. So yeah, it's not perfect but there aren't that many contests that actually include feedback in the entry fee so it's still better than most.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In what way? I've seen online that some people are frustrated with the discrepancies in the quality of the feedback but that's about it. I sorta agree with that one as well, my first screenplay got some good feedback in the sense it actually helped me define things that could be done better. My second screenplay got two feedbacks which seemed to just sum up the bad without giving pointers on what I should improve or how. So yeah, it's not perfect but there aren't that many contests that actually include feedback in the entry fee so it's still better than most.

Hmm. Might just submit :leon:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I'm so glad I got that copywriting job, it got my creative juices flowing (pause). It's fukking strange feeling getting paid for writing and being creative

be warned with Blacklist... they just don't seem to like comedy. I've read what i consider some damn funny scripts from people and they've gotten like 5's on the Black List.

now, ive never put a script on the site myself, but i get the emails and i swear they have never once sent one about a comedy. it's always shyt that i have zero interest in.

But yo, I have an old comedy script that I haven't thought about in a while. Anyone want to read it? I'd be curious to get notes. I don't know if I have any intention on going back to it, but I may if i get some good notes. No big deal if not.

It's got a Horrible Bosses vibe, which sucked when i was already writing as that movie came out. they aren't that close, but people would immediately compare it to that and say i "stole" the idea i bet. It's called "The Buzzkill."

I'll do it man!

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
be warned with Blacklist... they just don't seem to like comedy. I've read what i consider some damn funny scripts from people and they've gotten like 5's on the Black List.

now, ive never put a script on the site myself, but i get the emails and i swear they have never once sent one about a comedy. it's always shyt that i have zero interest in.

But yo, I have an old comedy script that I haven't thought about in a while. Anyone want to read it? I'd be curious to get notes. I don't know if I have any intention on going back to it, but I may if i get some good notes. No big deal if not.

It's got a Horrible Bosses vibe, which sucked when i was already writing as that movie came out. they aren't that close, but people would immediately compare it to that and say i "stole" the idea i bet. It's called "The Buzzkill."
I'll read it.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
I've been sleeping on this thread. I struck out on all the TV writing fellowships/competitions this year. A lotta people in my circle are getting staffed or getting good looks, so hopefully that rule that you become who you associate with is true.

Even though I've reached finalist spots in the past in these competitions, I feel like I wrote my best script ever this year, so I'm still excited about what levels I'm about to reach. I'm about to go into overdrive and knock out a script a month from here on out. Keep grinding brehs.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I'm turning an old dusty screenplay into a Workaholics spec. Been spending the past week firing through old episodes, reading scripts and taking notes. Figured it can't hurt to have another spec under my belt, and I think the topic would make for a hilarious episode as opposed to an early extremely flawed (but funny) screenplay of mine.

Honestly, as much as I love the prospect of writing movies, or making bank, my ideal job would be a staff writer on a comedy series. I just want to sit in a room with likeminded people and just pitch jokes and crazy storylines all day.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I'm turning an old dusty screenplay into a Workaholics spec. Been spending the past week firing through old episodes, reading scripts and taking notes. Figured it can't hurt to have another spec under my belt, and I think the topic would make for a hilarious episode as opposed to an early extremely flawed (but funny) screenplay of mine.

Honestly, as much as I love the prospect of writing movies, or making bank, my ideal job would be a staff writer on a comedy series. I just want to sit in a room with likeminded people and just pitch jokes and crazy storylines all day.

You and me both, breh. The thought of the Archer or Parks n Rec room brings a tear to the eye.

:mjcry:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I too want to get into the film industry(took some TV production classes), but you should note big changes in the film industry is happening. "Film" is slowly being replaced with "video recording". And because of classes for filming are slowing disappearing. Just giving you a heads up.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
You and me both, breh. The thought of the Archer or Parks n Rec room brings a tear to the eye.

:mjcry:
from all that I've read, seen, experienced (in very small manners) etc, there is at least 1 day every week where the staff pack into a room and just spew every funny thought in their heads. There's probably donuts all over the place, people just telling jokes and eating donuts... and that's work. Sure, it gets hard and stressful once you have to actually take that and form it into a good outline/script... but pitch day? I want it. I crave it, goddammit!

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
from all that I've read, seen, experienced (in very small manners) etc, there is at least 1 day every week where the staff pack into a room and just spew every funny thought in their heads. There's probably donuts all over the place, people just telling jokes and eating donuts... and that's work. Sure, it gets hard and stressful once you have to actually take that and form it into a good outline/script... but pitch day? I want it. I crave it, goddammit!

ibqxk11Ambw2As.gif

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
While doing the dishes today I had a HOLY shyt! moment
I'm pretty sure I've got a world class idea and pitch for a gameshow.
I've been :whew::ooh::krs: all day

@Conz I'll read your script next weekend when I go with the in-laws to their cabin

Conz

Superstar
Daps
While doing the dishes today I had a HOLY shyt! moment
I'm pretty sure I've got a world class idea and pitch for a gameshow.
I've been :whew::ooh::krs: all day

@Conz I'll read your script next weekend when I go with the in-laws to their cabin
yea man, no rush. thanks