The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
the best script dumps ever were the Scriptshadow newsletter where he used to send links to everyone and there was a torrent on demonoid years ago of like 1000 scripts, and it was basically every new movie of the next 5 years. I got spoiled and thought there'd be more, but since everyone turned on Carson, even he doesn't send out scripts anymore. I have no idea where to look for exclusives, but im still hundreds deep from that torrent.

Daps
not the best writer, but i have a ton of ideas for scripts for movies/tv. can you shop those or you need an actual script to shop around?

Conz

Superstar
Daps
not the best writer, but i have a ton of ideas for scripts for movies/tv. can you shop those or you need an actual script to shop around?
doesn't even matter if you're a great writer, it's all about who you know, and how much you're willing to pimp yourself

not saying i am a great writer with great ideas, but i know no one of value and literally find it nearly impossible to "sell myself." dirtiest feeling in the world to me

Thug Waffle

Da Bears
Daps
Reppin
LA for now, Chi for life
you can write a treatment, which is basically just a really short version of a script that covers all the notable plot points. so you'll still have to hash out a full story, but you just won't have to put it into as many words. treatments are tough to sell if you're not already in the biz, though. it might be in your best interest to pair up with a buddy who is a good writer and can help you bring your ideas to life. a full script is easier to sell, no doubt.

the best thing about screenwriting is that you don't necessarily have to be the best "writer" from a linguistic standpoint. as long as you can organize a cohesive story and write some decent dialogue, you can write a decent feature script. you don't need to have C-3PO's vocabulary

also please don't try to write scripts without having read at least five that have been produced. you can also pick up a screenwriting book called "Save the Cat!" which I think sucks ass but a lot of people swear by it. just be warned, the author's claim to fukking fame is Blank Check lol

Daps
you can write a treatment, which is basically just a really short version of a script that covers all the notable plot points. so you'll still have to hash out a full story, but you just won't have to put it into as many words. treatments are tough to sell if you're not already in the biz, though. it might be in your best interest to pair up with a buddy who is a good writer and can help you bring your ideas to life. a full script is easier to sell, no doubt.

the best thing about screenwriting is that you don't necessarily have to be the best "writer" from a linguistic standpoint. as long as you can organize a cohesive story and write some decent dialogue, you can write a decent feature script. you don't need to have C-3PO's vocabulary

also please don't try to write scripts without having read at least five that have been produced. you can also pick up a screenwriting book called "Save the Cat!" which I think sucks ass but a lot of people swear by it. just be warned, the author's claim to fukking fame is Blank Check lol

I just remember watching Leno back in the day and he was at Writers convention and he had a audience game to see which "film/movie idea" was legit or not. but thanks ill look into treatments.

Daps
doesn't even matter if you're a great writer, it's all about who you know, and how much you're willing to pimp yourself

not saying i am a great writer with great ideas, but i know no one of value and literally find it nearly impossible to "sell myself." dirtiest feeling in the world to me

Like I have great ideas (well to me) but when it comes to dialogue and stuff I probably suck. Like i see tv show credits and it says created by... but then I know tv shows have like 10-15 writers as well. so what does the "creator" actually do?

Thug Waffle

Da Bears
Daps
Reppin
LA for now, Chi for life
For the scriptwriters here, what would you say are the biggest differences between script writing and writing a novel? I have a lot of ideas for novels, but I'm wondering if a few of them could be scripts for a ongoing series or a movie.
well, i've never written a novel, but i've written some short stories, and i find that writing your movie ideas out as traditional prose can go a long way in helping you flesh out the details of the world, the characters' mannerisms, and the overall tone.

but you're talking about taking a novel idea and turning it into a feature. if you are confident you can write the story as a well-constructed novel, then i would go that direction and then adapt your own work for the screen. again, when it comes to selling ideas, it's easier for a no-name writer to sell a novel than it is for them to sell a screenplay, depending on who you know. if you write a script, it's easier for a producer to come up with things to add. if you write a novel, there's gonna be so much meat there that they will subtract more than they add.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
well, i've never written a novel, but i've written some short stories, and i find that writing your movie ideas out as traditional prose can go a long way in helping you flesh out the details of the world, the characters' mannerisms, and the overall tone.

but you're talking about taking a novel idea and turning it into a feature. if you are confident you can write the story as a well-constructed novel, then i would go that direction and then adapt your own work for the screen. again, when it comes to selling ideas, it's easier for a no-name writer to sell a novel than it is for them to sell a screenplay, depending on who you know. if you write a script, it's easier for a producer to come up with things to add. if you write a novel, there's gonna be so much meat there that they will subtract more than they add.

:salute: This is great advice. Thanks.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
i don't know the slightest about novel writing. i prefer screen as, well I've seen more movies than I've read books. Also, scripts are a lot less writing, and lets be real, I'm lazy.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I agree wholeheartedly. And the new films being released every week are a clear sign. Sequels, reboots, remakes, tv shows turned into movies, large blockbusters, etc.

Continuously just released what you already have or doing that big budget CGI has gotten tedious and this is because of the same 50-100 regular writers in Hollywood. If Hollywood spent more time on amateur writers (with good scripts of course), they could sell an original film on a budget of 10 million and see major payouts, rather than those of 100 mill and up.

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
can anybody recommend any books for pitching or give any tips?

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Always wanted to get into this but never knew how to.