The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Stez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Okay I was gonna cop for an app for the iPad to help with my writing and really bedding this down in a screenplay format. Something I've never done before. What would you suggest? FinalDraft, or Celtx? Or a different one altogether? :lupe:

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Okay I was gonna cop for an app for the iPad to help with my writing and really bedding this down in a screenplay format. Something I've never done before. What would you suggest? FinalDraft, or Celtx? Or a different one altogether? :lupe:

I use celtx and only that. Very easy to use.

Stez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I use celtx and only that. Very easy to use.

I'm trying to justify that over FD given the pricing. Small though it may be, I wanted to make sure I was getting my money's worth if I paid for FD instead.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm trying to justify that over FD given the pricing. Small though it may be, I wanted to make sure I was getting my money's worth if I paid for FD instead.

I'd get Final Draft breh but I don't know how much the iPad version is. I got it on my mac and it's a lifesaver

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
I use final draft. Celtx is good for writing on the go tho.There's a mobile celtx app. You can't lose if you have both :yeshrug:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Dayum. Conflicting opinions but I appreciate both.

:patrice:

We had this talk in thread a while back.

Final Draft is industy standard, just use it.

If you know how to write a script it doesn't really matter if you use Final Draft or Celtx even tho Final Draft is a little better.

It matters when its time to submit. Some readers will just throw your script out if it's not formatted correctly...down to the margins and spacing. That's why investing in final draft is so important once you're serious.

I believe Celtx (and a lot of the major competitors) have a export to final draft option now because of this.

I know at least 5 screenwriters that have made features and only use Celtx:yeshrug:

You personally know 5 writers that have made STUDIO Hollywood features? So you know 5 writers who have hit the lottery? :childplease:

I know a reader for Universal that will throw your shyt in the trash if your cover isn't properly formatted or if the weight of the screenplay doesnt feel right.

So while yes. MovieMagic, Celtx and the rest will do. It's better to be safe than sorry.

If you're a writer getting features then you should be able to afford final draft.

Nah not Hollywood features, more european movie festival kinda thing but they've all made movies in the $100 thousand - 1.5 millz range :ufdup:

Stez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I copped Celtx fo the iPad, put some work in and came up with 20 pages. I need between 50-60 for a TV series pilot though? :dwillhuh:

This gonna take some damn-ass time :sadcam: For anyone interested, the premise is a TV drama based around a professional wrestling company, like The Wrestler. My idea was to base it in the early-mid 90's, when the wrestling boom began in North America. I wasn't sure whether to run it kayfabe, or lift the lid, and expose the pre-conceived element of it. I suppose people are happy to suspend their belief of the reality if the story is strong enough? This will be more about their real lives outside the ring and how they behave behind the curtain, as much as in front of it. That's the plan anyway.

Daps
I copped Celtx fo the iPad, put some work in and came up with 20 pages. I need between 50-60 for a TV series pilot though? :dwillhuh:

This gonna take some damn-ass time :sadcam: For anyone interested, the premise is a TV drama based around a professional wrestling company, like The Wrestler. My idea was to base it in the early-mid 90's, when the wrestling boom began in North America. I wasn't sure whether to run it kayfabe, or lift the lid, and expose the pre-conceived element of it. I suppose people are happy to suspend their belief of the reality if the story is strong enough? This will be more about their real lives outside the ring and how they behave behind the curtain, as much as in front of it. That's the plan anyway.

I'm a big fan of wrestling documentaries and the wrestler so this would be right up my alley. IMO, since it's drama and focused on their behind the scenes lives I would definitely lift the lid. I think showing the worked aspects of the business and the carny lifestyle would appeal to non-wrestling fans.
A kayfabe angle might be dope for a sitcom about wrestling though. :ohhh:

Stez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm a big fan of wrestling documentaries and the wrestler so this would be right up my alley. IMO, since it's drama and focused on their behind the scenes lives I would definitely lift the lid. I think showing the worked aspects of the business and the carny lifestyle would appeal to non-wrestling fans.
A kayfabe angle might be dope for a sitcom about wrestling though. :ohhh:

The idea originally came to light when I was thinking of alternative ways for WWE to do its television. Their show would be much more interesting if it was treat like a cross between a drama (The Wrestler) and a worked documentary (Mayweather 24/7) than its traditional format. I get the live show aspect. They still need that. It's what that business is about, live touring and theatre but their TV shows? They're all the same and to a degree, boring.

Stez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone got any useful pointers on how to be descriptive, but keep that shyt scaled down?

This feels like such a double-edged sword at times. On the one hand, I know I need pages and pages for a script. On the other hand, I know what I've already written isn't "snappy" enough. I think the dialogue is on point, but because my story centres around action, I'm being too descriptive, which seems like a no-no when writing screenplays. Sentences for actions, should be two-three lines? I end up writing way more. Like fukkloads more. If I scale it back, my story will shorten. Feels like a catch 22 at this point. Is that just me learning to adjust my style from say creative writing to writing screenplays? Can anyone of experience speak on this?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Anyone got any useful pointers on how to be descriptive, but keep that shyt scaled down?

This feels like such a double-edged sword at times. On the one hand, I know I need pages and pages for a script. On the other hand, I know what I've already written isn't "snappy" enough. I think the dialogue is on point, but because my story centres around action, I'm being too descriptive, which seems like a no-no when writing screenplays. Sentences for actions, should be two-three lines? I end up writing way more. Like fukkloads more. If I scale it back, my story will shorten. Feels like a catch 22 at this point. Is that just me learning to adjust my style from say creative writing to writing screenplays? Can anyone of experience speak on this?

LOL, I'm going through the same thing right now.

Half the battle is knowing/being told you've written too much. Sometimes you can feel like you're trying to paint a picture, which is right, but if you take one pass of the script, scaling back, you'll realize what needs to be cut.

"The Rock walks out, sweat dripping from his brow, taking in the crowd for a moment at the top of the ramp before sauntering towards the ring, basking in the energy of the supporting crowd. He climbs up to the ring, pausing before stepping between the ropes and walking to the corner, climbing the turnbuckle and raising a fist in the air"

Could/should be:

"The Rock walks out, sweating, taking in the crowd as he saunters towards the ring, before he steps between the ropes, climbs the far corner turnbuckle and raises a fist in the air"

A friend of mine told me once that I write well, but it's a script, not a novel, and I should be careful to know the difference.