The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm so sad you guys :to:

Last year a DP asked me to write the script for his graduation movie and wanted to make a drama about brothers bonding while traveling. So I wrote a story about two half-brothers who haven't talked to eachother in 4-5 years but have to go on a long car trip because their father just died. It's just a basic little story about meaning of families, sacrifice and redemption. Everybody loved it, a director/writer that won at Cannes this year said he almost cried just by reading the script. So the DP asks me to direct it but I say no because I want to make a comedy and I wanted to see my script on screen without being involved with the filming and post-production.

It was butchered :sadbron:

The locations didn't chance but this is a dialouge heavy movie and only lines I wrote that made it in are the first and last. I had a bar scene (they stopped in a small town because of bad weather) where they talked about life and family memories and are envious about the life that the other on lives. That got replaced by a conversation about sucking horse dikk while drunk and throwing up on a girl while she give's you a blowjob.

:sadcam:
I heard that happen before :smh: . Check out Tales from the Script

But what's up with the horse dikk dialogue? :why:
What genre is it?

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
I'm so sad you guys :to:

Last year a DP asked me to write the script for his graduation movie and wanted to make a drama about brothers bonding while traveling. So I wrote a story about two half-brothers who haven't talked to eachother in 4-5 years but have to go on a long car trip because their father just died. It's just a basic little story about meaning of families, sacrifice and redemption. Everybody loved it, a director/writer that won at Cannes this year said he almost cried just by reading the script. So the DP asks me to direct it but I say no because I want to make a comedy and I wanted to see my script on screen without being involved with the filming and post-production.

It was butchered :sadbron:

The locations didn't chance but this is a dialouge heavy movie and only lines I wrote that made it in are the first and last. I had a bar scene (they stopped in a small town because of bad weather) where they talked about life and family memories and are envious about the life that the other on lives. That got replaced by a conversation about sucking horse dikk while drunk and throwing up on a girl while she give's you a blowjob.

:sadcam:

:to: holy shyt breh, who are these sociopaths you work with? how did they possibly rewrite dialogue about family into THAT? can you ask them to take your name off the credits and use your own script with someone else?

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I heard that happen before :smh: . Check out Tales from the Script

But what's up with the horse dikk dialogue? :why:
What genre is it?

I knew it could happen and I kinda wanted to happen because if I want to do this for a living I expect this to happen.
From what I've been told the actors adlibed it and either the director liked it or didn't have the balls to have them stop.

:yeshrug:

:to: holy shyt breh, who are these sociopaths you work with? how did they possibly rewrite dialogue about family into THAT? can you ask them to take your name off the credits and use your own script with someone else?

The DP hired a producer, director and actors after I finished the script so I didn't really work with them. I'm not gonna ask for my name to be taken off the credit because it's not good enough to get him into festivals or as a showcase and the DP is also the best Lighting Designer I know so I don't wanna have him possibly be pissed off at me

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
All right guys, I need advice and some questions answered:

-What kind of computer program do I need for script writing? I plan on copping a laptop for just this.

-How anal are script readers about sentences, proper punctuation, etc? My english lessons from school are very much gone.

Any other advice for someone starting out?

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All right guys, I need advice and some questions answered:

-What kind of computer program do I need for script writing? I plan on copping a laptop for just this.

-How anal are script readers about sentences, proper punctuation, etc? My english lessons from school are very much gone.

Any other advice for someone starting out?

https://www.celtx.com/index.html

That's what I use.

Never checked out the tutorial - might help.

The main thing that helped me was reading scripts. I'd read like 1-2 scripts a day. You can tell which scripts are better and for what reason the more you read. Just google the name of the movie plus "script pdf" and usually it comes up.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I knew I read this before. :snoop: ay myself. :heh:

As far as the punctuation and sentences, etc go - it's very important. If a reader sees those type of mistakes immediately they gon shut it.

That's why you should send it to a script consultant online who gives notes (they are as cheap as 100 bucks to over a grand).

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I knew it could happen and I kinda wanted to happen because if I want to do this for a living I expect this to happen.
From what I've been told the actors adlibed it and either the director liked it or didn't have the balls to have them stop.

:yeshrug:

The DP hired a producer, director and actors after I finished the script so I didn't really work with them. I'm not gonna ask for my name to be taken off the credit because it's not good enough to get him into festivals or as a showcase and the DP is also the best Lighting Designer I know so I don't wanna have him possibly be pissed off at me

Think of it from the positive side, you can simply 're-use' that scene for a different screenplay.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Signed a contract yesterday with a production company for my feature documentary as a director, co-producer and "interviewer" (kinda like Louis Theroux) :noah:
Next step is getting money for the project

Congrats.

I'm just about to start writing a YouTube cartoon series (a series of shorts). Not much money but it's just about the reps.

Just saw the level of animation :scusthov:.

It's 2014 and people still using shytty animators.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
Signed a contract yesterday with a production company for my feature documentary as a director, co-producer and "interviewer" (kinda like Louis Theroux) :noah:

You going to post it up on Kickstarter or will it privately funded?

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:salute:

Hopefully by the end of the year start we can start making real income, and not just a few hundred here and there. Locally we have a nice little word-of-mouth thing going on so we just gotta stay consistent. I'll be editing this year :guilty: I'm sure my first few projects will be :flabbynsick:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

Hopefully by the end of the year start we can start making real income, and not just a few hundred here and there. Locally we have a nice little word-of-mouth thing going on so we just gotta stay consistent. I'll be editing this year :guilty: I'm sure my first few projects will be :flabbynsick:

Are you working with @StraxStrax ?

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
You going to post it up on Kickstarter or will it privately funded?

Privately and grants for art/film/culture
Most likely a 50/50 split

Keep on trucking :ohlawd:

Are you working with @StraxStrax ?

Nah

but :ohhh: