The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
thats all great, but im only in the position to write on spec. what's the difference in me writing my script to his script if he's going to hustle it? i trust the guy.

that being said, not writing his idea, it's garbage.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Great thread. Only 4 pages in, so I'll read the rest later.

I got an idea for a TV show and already have 20 pages written down. Of course it's not written in the way Hollywood wants it, so I'm looking into how to do the exact layout. Still need to work on the personality of characters more, but that shouldn't be a major problem.

I see a lot of people typing out books, but which ones are essential to read for writing? Like they are the holiest of the holy.

I wanted to be a rapper, but I enjoy writing more. I know I can do better writing scripts than trying to make it as a rapper since I'm not radio friendly material.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished my first script almost a month ago. Probably had to edit it over 10 times.

Sent it to two screenplay consultants in LA (for a fee) and generally very positive reviews.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone have proper script writing format examples? And what I could I use to write one down?

https://www.celtx.com/index.html

That's what I use.

Never checked out the tutorial - might help.

The main thing that helped me was reading scripts. I'd read like 1-2 scripts a day. You can tell which scripts are better and for what reason the more you read. Just google the name of the movie plus "script pdf" and usually it comes up.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
https://www.celtx.com/index.html

That's what I use.

Never checked out the tutorial - might help.

The main thing that helped me was reading scripts. I'd read like 1-2 scripts a day. You can tell which scripts are better and for what reason the more you read. Just google the name of the movie plus "script pdf" and usually it comes up.

Thank you, good sir. :salute:

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thank you, good sir. :salute:

Also, good books are

Save the Cat (one of the most popular - I liked it a lot)
Story (never read it but apparently the screenwriting bible)
Secrets of Film Writing by Tom Lazarus (I thought it was a very good book - concise and a easy read)

One more advice - just write. The more you procrastinate, the less chance you will write. There will be time to edit at the end.

50% of people who say they want to write a script never do.

Be the other 50%.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
http://www.shortoftheweek.com/

Short of the Week

SHORT OF THE WEEK HAS BEEN SERVING UP EPIC BITE-SIZED FILMS TO MILLIONS OF FILMMAKERS AND FANS SINCE 2007. WE SEEK TO DISCOVER AND PROMOTE THE GREATEST AND MOST INNOVATIVE STORYTELLERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD.

We Believe

We believe short films are at the center of innovative storytelling. New ideas, new techniques and new directors first make their mark in the filmmaker's playground that is short form cinema.

We believe the web will change everything. If short films are a filmmaker's playground, then the web is an open field. We'll see new ways to make stories through DSLRs, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding as well as new formats for telling stories like web series, branded films, and interactive films.

Above all, we believe in the magic of stories. Though the techniques have changed over time (from cave paintings to 3D), we believe in the power of stories to illuminate and find meaning in this complex world.

Batz

The Freaks Come out At Night
Daps
Anyone have any advice on writing and formatting stories for books and the like?