The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
you're gonna catch hell for the name "Oscar Bait." snooty "writers" hate name gags. I personally love em if they are subtle and done right.

I love puns too, but no one else does. A well executed pun is just as good as a great joke. I throw them in all my scripts and don't give a fukk about the retards that can't apprecite them.

A bad pun however... I once read a kid's screenplay that had a police captain named "Harry Scrotum" and I wanted to go to the kid's house and punch him in the face.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Nah, I have considered joining Amazon Studios once I've got more screenplays finished and hope that the inevitable shytstorm that the Oscar Bait screenplay would attract, also attracts people to my more serious work.

:youngsabo:

It's risky, but it's not improbable. You also run the risk of getting played off as a "shock jock" equivalent of a writer. I dunno, I don't know anything... :yeshrug:

you're gonna catch hell for the name "Oscar Bait." snooty "writers" hate name gags. I personally love em if they are subtle and done right.

I love puns too, but no one else does. A well executed pun is just as good as a great joke. I throw them in all my scripts and don't give a fukk about the retards that can't apprecite them.

A bad pun however... I once read a kid's screenplay that had a police captain named "Harry Scrotum" and I wanted to go to the kid's house and punch him in the face.

That's the first thing I thought. I think "Bait" alone would be a better name, no? "Smarter" people will pretty much get it and it doesn't run the risk of coming off as a "silly" title until you've read a page or 2

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
lol, every once in a while they'll highlight test readers from the Bluecat Competition and guys there literally be like "I hate titles that are puns on names". I don't give a shyt though, I name my movies the way I do for a reason. I abandoned all subtlety in the screenplay so I'd be damned if I'd be subtle with the title.

And nearly all the names in the screenplay are puns or jokes. Like there's a bunch of famous escapist brothers whose last name is Otter, and they're known as Plotter and Spotter. Then there's a guy known as the Other Otter, because his last name is Otter but he's not related to the other Otters. And Oscar is taught by an elder Jew called Itzde Weisman (It's the Wiseman), the two head masters are called Fuchs and Hase (fox and hare, indicating their relationship).

Basically I was trying to get it to the point where every character, every line, every situation had some comedic element to it. Just writing this shyt makes me wanna go back and just add jokes and jokes and jokes, no matter how random, piss poor or stupid, just so there's something to tickle the audience every single minute.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It's risky, but it's not improbable. You also run the risk of getting played off as a "shock jock" equivalent of a writer. I dunno, I don't know anything... :yeshrug:

That's why I want to finish more stuff before I join. I could get away with such shock schlock if it's just one project out of many. If I only got two or three screenplays, it would look a lot worse. Especially since half the stuff I normally come up with is already pure shock schlock.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Might be filming a show for local television soon. We got to come up with an idea and shoot the pilot
i might be buying a Ferrari soon. I just need to learn how to drive stick and save up $250k.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Might be filming a show for local television soon. We got to come up with an idea and shoot the pilot
Coo shyt.

I'm working on a die hard/tom Clancy 9/11 epic. Kind of an alternate outcome involving the attacks..Had a crazy dream about being on a hijacked plane and somehow escaped before impact. If I ever was a big time producer I'd make this shyt if wasn't viewed as disrespectful to the victims families of course. Maybe in 20 yrs.

shyt would be sick!

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Got another wannabe big wig trying to "hire" me to write a script idea he has. Nice guy, I believe he has the contacts, and I believe he has the hustle... but I kinda hate the idea. I was getting prepped to start writing again, have what I think is a great idea for a screenplay, and was getting pumped for it... then this guy contacted me. Don't think it's worth risking months of my life on a script I don't really care about bc he has a decent logline that some producers have "expressed interest in reading."

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Kinda bragging

I was a 1st AD on a commercial for VISA (in Iceland) this summer, just finished editing my short (15 mins) documentary last friday and I start shooting my graduation movie early november, I'm directing another graduation movie for my DP next month and wrote graduation movie for a classmate. I also submitted two short scripts to my school screenwriting contest and I like my odds. The winning script will be made into a film directed by a "accomplished director*".

*according to the school at least

After Christmas I'm starting pre-production on a full length documentary.

Life's good right now

:banderas:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Got another wannabe big wig trying to "hire" me to write a script idea he has. Nice guy, I believe he has the contacts, and I believe he has the hustle... but I kinda hate the idea. I was getting prepped to start writing again, have what I think is a great idea for a screenplay, and was getting pumped for it... then this guy contacted me. Don't think it's worth risking months of my life on a script I don't really care about bc he has a decent logline that some producers have "expressed interest in reading."

As someone who does some screenwriting stuff on the side...i can tell you not to waste your time writing anything until you see a contract and some money. Matter fact if you talk to the guy ask him where that contract is and if he starts BSing you should :ufdup::camby:

Generally speaking...when it comes to writing scripts...all of the paperwork is done up front...so there is really no point to ever have a "connected to big wigs talk"...it is generally a "will you right for this amount of money and can you deliver on this date talk"

Also if he aint paying you at least scale...:ufdup::whoa::camby:

Hollywood writing game can be very lucrative..I make good money working at my regular job but i am going to going to jump into it full time at the start next year....but you can also get ripped the fukk off big time...

No contract...no money...no reason for us to talk:camby: