The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
i have an old pot themed screenplay that i want to turn into an "epic" Workaholics 2-parter... but it's currently 6th in the que of scripts i talk about but never write. It wouldn't even take much time, all I'd ha to do is cut the story down and change names/dialogue... but alas, I'm too busy being not busy.

and my new genius idea - three words - Billy. Madison. Baseball. just think about it, and tell me a complete ripoff of that movie except about a pro athlete working his way back up the ranks wouldn't be gold. Don't steal that.

On the two highlighted points.

1. I know what you mean. I'm a Freelance Copywriter and a social hermit so I really have no excuse not to write more since compared to other people I'm not very 'busy'...I just have to get over myself a little to sit down and write more. This thread and you guys have helped spur me a little to be slightly more serious so I guess that's something

2. This is one of the movies I watched A LOT as a kid lol

That and Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion...

...don't judge me :ld:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
So this is a music video I directed early last year but never came out because the band split up just after we shot it. I didn't really finish the edit and color grading but I'm kinda proud of it.

Last edited:

bradbury

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good looks, I will check this out.

Done Deal Pro is very popular, what do you think about that?

only ever used the aw forums. I write novel length stories. They even helped me in writing a query letter and pitch to agents at a conference.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
done deal has a ton of snobs, namely Craig Mazin (from what ive seen) who gets paid a ton to write absolute dogshyt... aka, my dream

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
any advice for a beginner wanting to write scripts?

Write. It's easy to spend too much time wishing and hoping and "researching" and thinking about bullshyt. All it is is a distraction to stall you from sitting in front of the computer and going to work.

If there are any LA brehs in this thread, ya'll trying to get up? No reason we can't win together.

Hammer

Banned
Daps
Write. It's easy to spend too much time wishing and hoping and "researching" and thinking about bullshyt. All it is is a distraction to stall you from sitting in front of the computer and going to work.

If there are any LA brehs in this thread, ya'll trying to get up? No reason we can't win together.

i'm trying to get out to LA within 2 years, wait for me :smugbiden:

MF_BREW

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee,WI
If you want a free and great script writing program get Celtx. You can have a app on your phone or tablet. Just look it up I used it when I have a idea for a movie or a comic book.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
done deal has a ton of snobs, namely Craig Mazin (from what ive seen) who gets paid a ton to write absolute dogshyt... aka, my dream

DDP and scriptshadow are the only two I visit religiously aside from the Google search bar.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
So I figure out the email naming/account system of Rocksteady studios (Batman Arkham City/Asylum etc.) since they're based where I am (London) and try something I've been wanting to do for a minute.

I go on LinkedIn, find the name of some important people, draft an email, attach my sample dialogue script and CV/Resume.

Along with the email I use ReadNotify that covertly tracks the email and lets you know when it's been read, by who etc.

3 of the 7 people I send it to have opened it since I sent it (Monday)

1 of them is the Studio Head/Founder who reads it for 9 minutes and 50 seconds

He then forwards it to 4 people, one of whom reads it 3 different times in 24 hours

What does this mean and what I'm 'pposed to do now?

:lupe:

KOTK

Pro
Daps
and my new genius idea - three words - Billy. Madison. Baseball. just think about it, and tell me a complete ripoff of that movie except about a pro athlete working his way back up the ranks wouldn't be gold. Don't steal that.
That's already been eastbound & done.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
That's already been eastbound & done.

not even close, but that is the other thing people would compare it to "it's this meets that" "the same only different." "blah blah industry bullshyt" Plus I'd describe my main character as a guy who looks like he's actually played the game of baseball once or twice in his life.