Essential The Coli's GQ Thread: Men's Fashion

YaBoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always hear don't wear a black suit, where grey or blue. But whenever I'm at work or a convention I always see a large number of people in black suits :patrice:

sayyestothis

Free the guys
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD "The Greatest City In America"
Why no black suits? Sales include Real Estate as well??

Everyone answered/chimed in already so I'm late but it's really also bc it doesn't pull or soften and features off you. In sales 90% of closing depends on first impressions and appearance. People want to do business with they like and can feel good about. Navy is softer, friendlier, more versatile...same with charcoal.

If your a fly breh like I said start exploring with royal blues and patterns but master the basics first.

And last I checked an attorney is not in sales...:heh:

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Everyone answered/chimed in already so I'm late but it's really also bc it doesn't pull or soften and features off you. In sales 90% of closing depends on first impressions and appearance. People want to do business with they like and can feel good about. Navy is softer, friendlier, more versatile...same with charcoal.

If your a fly breh like I said start exploring with royal blues and patterns but master the basics first.

And last I checked an attorney is not in sales...:heh:

cool.. I just got my real estate license. That's why I had the question..

Disgustya Stallone

Man Who Owns 2 Microwaves
Daps
went shopping the other day and caught some sales....this is what i ended up with:

2uehget.jpg

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
What are staples for a man when it comes to a business wardrobe?

Im thinking about taking a sales job soon.
I have never had a square job.
Ive been doing internet marketing/ecommerce the past few years...so I have no dress clothes.

Going to Suite Supply to get a suit.
I already have a bunch of dress shirts that ive thrifted over the years...and one pair of AE dress shoes.

What else do I need?

A black and brown leather belt

A pair of black shoes and a pair of brown shoes. I recommend the best quality shoes within your budget.

Like someone said earlier, suits in the classic colors. You can start off with navy and grey.

A navy blazer

You can never have enough ties and dress socks and can often find deals on both

A tie clip

A watch

At least 2 classic white shirts

2 classic blue shirt like this:

9a7259d563f7306f03f575427e2a97a4.jpg

As many dress shirts as you can buy. If you don't have the money to buy more suits right away, you can get by with just a few suits and the endless combination of dress shirts and ties. That's why you want to stock your business wardrobe with the most classic and versatile items first.

Also, it's a must that you get your suits and blazers tailored. Fit is everything. Get your dress shirts tailored if they don't fit great off the rack and you can afford it.

Always match your belt and your shoes. Match the strap of your watch too if you have watches with black and brown straps.

These are just the essentials. You can just add on overtime. Remember fit is everything. Once you find a good tailor stick with them.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I always hear don't wear a black suit, where grey or blue. But whenever I'm at work or a convention I always see a large number of people in black suits :patrice:
Most people couldn't dress properly to save their lives.
I've been to Black tie events and seen some embarrassing outfits.
Just take pride in the fact that you know how to dress for the occasion.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Does anyone know where to get well-fitting, high-quality Oxford shirts?
Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren don't have 14.5 size, and most of the other companies within a reasonable price range still sell those bloated fabric shirts made to fit two men instead of one.
I'm tempted by Express, but I don't have any experience with them.