The Cloverfield Paradox (Official Thread)

Theodoresolderbreh

No Shorts No Malarkey
Daps
Reppin
Theodore breh and associates
How Netflix and Paramount Pictures took a crappy movie and turned it into gold
The art of the deal
TCP_07318_R_Mon.1518023815.jpg

Scott Garfield/Netflix

The Cloverfield Paradoxisn’t a very good movie, but that fact doesn’t really matter to any of the companies involved in its production or distribution.

This is the sort of movie that would have lost money at the box office after a standard, and expensive, run of trailers and promotion. A standard theatrical release would have been poisoned by poor reviews and worth of mouth, but the current situation allowed everyone to walk out of the film a winner.

Well, except the audience. And even that is arguable.

Taking a bad movie and turning it into gold
It has been reported that the film’s budget was around $40 million, and it seems as if everyone knew it was in trouble for some time.

“Sources say the movie needed some work, and while Abrams expressed an intent to get down to business in postproduction, it was too little, too late,” The Hollywood Reporter stated. “Several sources suggested that Abrams’ attention may be taken up by his unexpected new assignment, the final installment of the Star WarsSkywalker episodes, which he signed on to in September after the firing of director Colin Trevorrow.”

The Cloverfield Paradoxwould have cost Paramount more money to promote before a theatrical release, and the first run of bad reviews would likely be followed by a second run of stories about how the film failed to do well at the box office. The standard approach to releasing a film in the theaters, in this case, would turn a known issue into a very public way to lose a large amount of money.

RELATED

What’s coming and going on Netflix is now easy to find
The Cloverfield Paradox is a stunt release tied to a mediocre movie
When your body isn’t your own: The politics of Altered Carbon

But Netflix provided another way out. The Hollywood Reporter is now saying that Netflix paid around $50 million for The Cloverfield Paradox, which means that the movie became instantly profitable for Paramount. The studio no longer has to worry about ticket sales or post-release promotion. They just sign a few papers and suddenly a flop becomes a film that made back its budget and then some. After that it becomes Netflix’s problem.

If these numbers are correct, and that’s assuming a lot, The Cloverfield Paradox is one of the most deft handlings of a stinker in Hollywood history.

A Super Bowl ad isn’t cheap, but it’s a lot cheaper than a full promotional campaign and Netflix was promoting itself as much as it was promoting the movie. That wasn’t a trailer for The Cloverfield Paradox, it was a commercial for Netflix that sold the idea that surprises could come at any moment. Netflix bought a lot of promotion with that movie and its one ad.

sddefault.jpg

Netflix doesn’t need to sell tickets, the company just needs to bring buzz to its platform. And promoting a movie few people knew existed during the Super Bowl before allowing them to stream the whole thing after the game is certainly a great way to build some buzz. Netflix looks like the platform where anything is possible, and big releases could happen at any time. You better subscribe so you don’t miss out!

We don’t know how many people have watched The Cloverfield Paradox, but viewership numbers are almost beside the point. Netflix bought a movie with a big name attached for a song, and turned it into a smart promotional message for its entire business. It’s the service where anything is possible, and surprises are inevitable. Paramount was able to take a movie that would have lost a significant amount of money and sell it for a profit without pouring any more money down the drain. Everyone wins.

So how did the audiences do? The movie isn’t good, but Netflix audiences likely expect less from a movie that’s streaming on a service they already pay for than from a theatrical release that requires the cost of a few tickets and a night out. Even if people were disappointed in the movie, Netflix is selling the idea that you don’t know where the next blockbuster is coming from on its service, nor when it will arrive.

There is also the possibility that the studio or Netflix has costs that aren’t accounted for in this sort of napkin math, but even if that’s the case everyone did the right thing to minimize their losses and make the most out of what they had.

You may not have liked The Cloverfield Paradox, but the money was well spent if you signed up or continue to pay for the service while hoping that the next movie released on Netflix is better.
what Paramount and netflix did is like having a magic trick that kills you when you perform it... you can only pull that trick once. Next Netflix hype job will be ignored or do poorly and the 4th Cloverfield movie is gonna have a steep hill to climb because of this

Theodoresolderbreh

No Shorts No Malarkey
Daps
Reppin
I think you guys are expecting too much like this is breaking bad or something
fans are passionate about things outside of breaking bad and the wire. Cloverfield was actually pretty decent up until this point. People been waiting for a true follow up that been promised for ten years now then Netflix came through and hyped this shyt up. So of course fans are gonna pick this apart...but it's more than fans doing it this movie is panned breh. Like a Tyler Perry movie. Not outta bitterness but because it's actually a bad movie.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I'm laughing at anyone who tries to create a serious correlation between three completely unrelated movies. Be a bunch of marks for unapologetically lazy studio execs, brehs.

You clearly aren't familiar with advanced writing techniques.

Large pieces of stories often get cut out and retrofitted into other ideas like changing underwear.
It's obvious jj doesn't have any real ideas for this franchise so he's letting it become something of it's own, almost an excercise or test for upcoming directors.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
fans are passionate about things outside of breaking bad and the wire. Cloverfield was actually pretty decent up until this point. People been waiting for a true follow up that been promised for ten years now then Netflix came through and hyped this shyt up. So of course fans are gonna pick this apart...but it's more than fans doing it this movie is panned breh. Like a Tyler Perry movie. Not outta bitterness but because it's actually a bad movie.

fukk the "fans" maybe Abrams never intended to do a sequel. You can't force someone to make a movie they're not interested in. Cloverfield was a niche product. He moved on to bigger and better projects. But fans wanted something so he pulled a Lavar Ball, found a ready made product, tweaked it a little and slapped BBB on it :manny:

But the product is still decent.

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
fuk it

I enjoyed this sh1t more than The Force Awakens

Not saying it's great but it's not bad

Weird how words like that get thrown around so easily, its as if people have never actually seen a bad movie (Batman and Robin 1997)

While we're on the topic "Warcraft" is a another dope film that ppl labeled bad.

Always watch a flick for urself before u go around listening to whatever opinion the crowd leans towards

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
I was high typing a paper while watching it. I have never seen the earlier two movies, and this movie struck me as having too much.

Pulled tropes from Alien, The Thing, and the end sequence with young Bridgette Nielson was too much.

Surprised verysmartbrothas or the root aint did a bs piece on the hero

Theodoresolderbreh

No Shorts No Malarkey
Daps
Reppin
fuk it

I enjoyed this sh1t more than The Force Awakens

Not saying it's great but it's not bad

Weird how words like that get thrown around so easily, its as if people have never actually seen a bad movie (Batman and Robin 1997)

While we're on the topic "Warcraft" is a another dope film that ppl labeled bad.

Always watch a flick for urself before u go around listening to whatever opinion the crowd leans towards
holy shyt. I mean different strokes and all of that and etc but holy shyt. Also I'm not feeling this assumption you added in passing that people can't think for themselves the same people we're going on this movie did so before reviews came out. And yes while I agree people bandwagon hop to hate train things sometimes... this ain't one of them. This isn't a DC or marvel fanboy showdown this is a movie on a thing most people have access to. It's ok you liked it and it's ok people hated it. Leave it at that.. Also warcraft was bad. And I say that as a man who played it for 8 years.

this guy perfectly explains this movie, you mfers gotta start thinking outside the box...:wow:

I like found flixs he sets me straight when disjointed movies like this comes out.. his void review is like the goat movie explained review.... but even with this and the points he made half of it either came from the arg outside the movie assumptions he made on the fly. Like the year the movie was in.. which was explained outside the movie.... The rambling scientist being that universes version of John goodman's character from 10 Cloverfield Lane...no indication in the movie to back that up.... and etc etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Theodoresolderbreh

No Shorts No Malarkey
Daps
Reppin
fukk the "fans" maybe Abrams never intended to do a sequel. You can't force someone to make a movie they're not interested in. Cloverfield was a niche product. He moved on to bigger and better projects. But fans wanted something so he pulled a Lavar Ball, found a ready made product, tweaked it a little and slapped BBB on it :manny:

But the product is still decent.
that would be a reasonable stance if it happened once and he wasnt filming a fourth movie.