The Chase For The Real Stanley Cup: 2024 Cup Playoffs Thread

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
Can you imagine how stressful it was for Panthers fans tonight?

They had to witness two extreme situations tonight. Seeing their team win the Stanley cup or watching their team go down as the biggest championship series chokers in modern professional sports history.

The highest possible high or lowest fukking low. No in between. Heaven or hell.

At least Florida escaped the epic choke and finally won.

Last edited:

JLova

Veteran
Daps
Vegas knights are huge here in NV

Not debating that...but there is no comparison to Canadian markets. They literally raped Canadian teams to help the Floridas, Tampas, etc....That shyt is why Bettman is booed at every Canadian rink.

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
@MikelArteta

I spent a lot of time in Calgary visiting cousins growing up, going to Calgary Stampede, etc. Went to Edmonton once for the mall but didn't really get a vibe of the town. I remember their arena being insane when they were facing the Stars in the 2000s. But, I'm wondering is the fandom there as big/passionate as Flames/Leafs/Jets? I'm just trying to gauge how big of a L this is for them. I remember Vancouver going bonkers when they took the L a few years ago which surprised me b/c I never got the vibe that Canucks fans were passionate like some of the other teams in Canada.
People in Edmonton live and die with the oilers. They are very passionate and knowledgeable about the NHL and their own team. Oilers hockey is a religion up there. They are rabid and obsessed. The citizens of Edmonton love the oilers the same way the people in Dallas love the cowboys or the people in Philly love the eagles. It’s 24/7 talk about the oilers there. They get all the sports attention in that city.

It also helps that there are no other major league sports teams in town (I’m taking about nba/nfl/mlb…sorry CFL’s Edmonton elks/eskimos)

Edmonton is too small and too hockey obsessed to be a 4/4 Major League sports team city anyway

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Not debating that...but there is no comparison to Canadian markets. They literally raped Canadian teams to help the Floridas, Tampas, etc....That shyt is why Bettman is booed at every Canadian rink.

yeah def no comparison from what i seen with canada and yall dedication to the sport. of course i must say despite that, there's no nfl teams there, and just the raptors and blue jays in toronto so i can understand why hockey is so beloved there. not sure who here is from toronto but i'm guessing the rankings there are Maple Leafs especially considering their long history, and then Raptors followed by Blue Jays, as far as fan interest goes. Raptors have that recent championship too, been a while since Blue Jays won.

Far as raping the Canadian teams, I know the Panthers and Lightning started back in the early 90s so not sure if that can be blamed for the players and teams of today, as much as the newer teams like Vegas and Seattle. The Golden Knights with 2 Stanley Cup appearances and a title in their short history prolly have had more of an impact in that regard.

Far as free agency goes, not sure how well Canadian teams do with that or if its seen as a preferable place to play, with consideration to any external factors about the country or specific city. Especially when factoring in things like pay, taxes, etc. That could have a big impact as well. The USD has gone up against the CAD for past 15 years or so, so could be hard to attract players when the currency isn't as high in value.

Rosecrans

CPT
Supporter
Daps
1719290840315-gif.886808

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
@MikelArteta

I spent a lot of time in Calgary visiting cousins growing up, going to Calgary Stampede, etc. Went to Edmonton once for the mall but didn't really get a vibe of the town. I remember their arena being insane when they were facing the Stars in the 2000s. But, I'm wondering is the fandom there as big/passionate as Flames/Leafs/Jets? I'm just trying to gauge how big of a L this is for them. I remember Vancouver going bonkers when they took the L a few years ago which surprised me b/c I never got the vibe that Canucks fans were passionate like some of the other teams in Canada.

Oilers is everything in Edmonton everything

SmoothOperator88

Your friendly neighborhood coli poster
Daps
Reppin
NJ/BK
yeah def no comparison from what i seen with canada and yall dedication to the sport. of course i must say despite that, there's no nfl teams there, and just the raptors and blue jays in toronto so i can understand why hockey is so beloved there. not sure who here is from toronto but i'm guessing the rankings there are Maple Leafs especially considering their long history, and then Raptors followed by Blue Jays, as far as fan interest goes. Raptors have that recent championship too, been a while since Blue Jays won.

Far as raping the Canadian teams, I know the Panthers and Lightning started back in the early 90s so not sure if that can be blamed for the players and teams of today, as much as the newer teams like Vegas and Seattle. The Golden Knights with 2 Stanley Cup appearances and a title in their short history prolly have had more of an impact in that regard.

Far as free agency goes, not sure how well Canadian teams do with that or if its seen as a preferable place to play, with consideration to any external factors about the country or specific city. Especially when factoring in things like pay, taxes, etc. That could have a big impact as well. The USD has gone up against the CAD for past 15 years or so, so could be hard to attract players when the currency isn't as high in value.

The Canadian dollar vs the US Dollar is a another huge factor in regards to reluctance to expand in Canada. The markets that are frequently brought up as deserving an NHL team would end up being the smallest markets in the NHL. That plus a Canadian economic downturn and devaluation of the Canadian dollar vs the US Dollar and those franchises would be in trouble. It's why OG Winnipeg and Quebec City moved in the 90's. And even now there's faint whispers of Winnipeg possibly relocating in the foreseeable future.

JLova

Veteran
Daps
The Canadian dollar vs the US Dollar is a another huge factor in regards to reluctance to expand in Canada. The markets that are frequently brought up as deserving an NHL team would end up being the smallest markets in the NHL. That plus a Canadian economic downturn and devaluation of the Canadian dollar vs the US Dollar and those franchises would be in trouble. It's why OG Winnipeg and Quebec City moved in the 90's. And even now there's faint whispers of Winnipeg possibly relocating in the foreseeable future.

C'mon...the Canadian market is huge for hockey. You ay this when we see expansion into Atlanta, Phoenix, Raleigh....I mean c'mon.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Lol it's like 99 degrees down here right now lol. nikkaz know absolutely nothing about ice lol.

Unless you talking about immigration
Imagine even trying to wear those big ass panthers jerseys outside right now :damn:

We gonna have the parade on the water in boats fukk the ice