The Chase For The Real Stanley Cup: 2024 Cup Playoffs Thread

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
What gets me is these dogshyt franchises that shouldn't exist like the Lightning and the Panthers being engraved on the Stanley Cup. It is like if the University of Toronto Varsity Blues won the SEC championship or something. Yes I am mad :mad:
At the End of the day this is a Stanley Cup championship won by a southern US franchise located in a non traditional hockey market. These panthers fans are tasting glory they can’t properly appreciate because hockey has no history, roots and traditions in south Florida. It’s not in the culture and blood of most people there. Most of these « fans » are relatively new to hockey and only became panthers fans because of the success of last year and this year. The NHL title Doesn’t mean much to them. Honestly a Dolphins Super Bowl or a Heat NBA title would mean much more to them.

thelonious21

I like my women tall
Daps
Reppin
Da Hood
one time in my lifetime before tonight then? second time in over 35 years? McDavid was awesome but he didn’t even get a point in the final two games. Just give it to Sergei. He’s on the only non goalie to win it on losing team and it last happened in ‘74. I don’t know, seemed forced
Yea I think they smeared it with that..

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just admit you barely watched and want to hot take it up in here like a First Take host. Noted, bozo. :skip:
the only one who sounds like a clown here is you with the juvenile name calling and the questioning of whether I’m watching the games. If this is how you react to a difference of opinion, then good luck to you in life

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
I couldn't picture them winning 4 straight games, honestly. But Canadian teams are at a disadvantage in this league. I'm glad I don't watch much. Only watched cuz there was a Canadian team there.

2 Florida teams , Vegas, Carolina, Dallas...winning before a Canadian team.
The State of Florida, this supposed hockey Mecca :rolleyes:, has won 4 Stanley Cups in the past 20 years and 3 of these cups were won against Canadian teams.

2004 lightning (vs Calgary flames)
2020 lightning (Dallas stars)
2021 lightning (vs montreal canadiens)
2024 panthers won cup (against Edmonton oilers )

Kinda crazy when you think about it but if I’m trying to find the NFL, NBA, MLB analogy this result doesn’t seem to be the kind of result the league might want to raise its profile.

Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Panthers , Tampa bay lightning, Miami Marlins, Orlando Magic, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars. I feel like most of those teams winning would be bad for their leagues. The Miami Heat is the exception, they are a glamour/revelant brand, that underdog/ gritty Jimmy butler run to the finals last year and the heatles era with Bron/wade/bosh winning two back to back titles and making 4 straight finals in the early 2010s was good for the nba obviously. They made local/national/international headlines , they made the nba crazy money and attracted millions and millions of eyes to the league.

Miami dolphins were huge back in the 1970s/1980s/1990s but they lost most of their national and local clout since Dan Marino retired. And Don Shula ain’t coming back to coach them.

Except for the Miami heat, all the Florida based teams are bush league/nondescript/ irrevelant as fukk. They have Zero clout or juice. Zero aura.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
At the End of the day this is a Stanley Cup championship won by a southern US franchise located in a non traditional hockey market. These panthers fans are tasting glory they can’t properly appreciate because hockey has no history, roots and traditions in south Florida. It’s not in the culture and blood of most people there. Most of these « fans » are relatively new to hockey and only became panthers fans because of the success of last year and this year. The NHL title Doesn’t mean much to them. Honestly a Dolphins Super Bowl or a Heat NBA title would mean much more to them.

Dolphins lost to the Niners in the Super Bowl right before I was born. Them bums haven't been there since. I'd be surprised if they had even won a playoff game in my lifetime. Of course the Heat wins were special. Def agree that Panthers may not compare much to those especially Dolphins cuz of the history but def seeing an increase in interest for them especially now that they won. It seems like they had the biggest attendance average in the playoffs and were pretty decent in the regular season. An improvement from last year and previous years.

I've only been to one championship win and that was the Marlins in 97. They won in New York in 03. So that one feels extra special cuz live is always better. But always good to see a team win. The issue with the Marlins is that right after their championships they dismantled the team and fans just weren't as excited. Ownership screwed them over. At least the heat were able to keep their core players during the lebron years as well as having wade there from before building up interest.

I think if the panthers are able to keep their team mostly intact and show they care about staying competitive then hockey can become even more popular here. They not that much younger than the heat, or even the marlins, just 1 year separates those 2. But there has been a lot of losing seasons in between the run in 96 and this recent success. 25 years without a playoff win is discouraging. Especially when the team doesn't have much history like the others in the league. I remember when they got Pavel Bure back when I was in high school and they had a decent team but never were good enough. After both Heat and Panthers lost their finals last year, didn't think Panthers were gonna come back the next and win. May not pass the Heat in popularity just yet but they def got closer to them with this win.

Lets see if the Dolphins don't continue as frauds this season themselves. The Dallas Cowboys of the AFC with a less annoying fanbase. At least the Cowboys have won a playoff game this millennium. Had the perfect season in 1972 and thats been the peak of the franchise so far.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
crazy how Florida has hosted 5 straight Stanley Cup finals despite not being a hockey state. especially with the long streak of no cup for a Canadian team. Fans in Canada feeling like what international soccer powerhouse countries would feel if the US were to win the world cup. Europe, South America, Africa, everywhere would be pissed.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
The State of Florida, this supposed hockey Mecca :rolleyes:, has won 4 Stanley Cups in the past 20 years and 3 of these cups were won against Canadian teams.

2004 lightning (vs Calgary flames)
2020 lightning (Dallas stars)
2021 lightning (vs montreal canadiens)
2024 panthers won cup (against Edmonton oilers )

Kinda crazy when you think about it but if I’m trying to find the NFL, NBA, MLB analogy this result doesn’t seem to be the kind of result the league might want to raise its profile.

Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Panthers , Tampa bay lightning, Miami Marlins, Orlando Magic, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars. I feel like most of those teams winning would be bad for their leagues. The Miami Heat is the exception, they are a glamour/revelant brand, that underdog/ gritty Jimmy butler run to the finals last year and the heatles era with Bron/wade/bosh winning two back to back titles and making 4 straight finals in the early 2010s was good for the nba obviously. They made local/national/international headlines , they made the nba crazy money and attracted millions and millions of eyes to the league.

Miami dolphins were huge back in the 1970s/1980s/1990s but they lost most of their national and local clout since Dan Marino retired. And Don Shula ain’t coming back to coach them.

Except for the Miami heat, all the Florida based teams are bush league/nondescript/ irrevelant as fukk. They have Zero clout or juice. Zero aura.
Miami will ALWAYS be a dolphins town.. They didnt lose any clout locally.. They just havent been good.. That shyt hit different..

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Dolphins lost to the Niners in the Super Bowl right before I was born. Them bums haven't been there since. I'd be surprised if they had even won a playoff game in my lifetime. Of course the Heat wins were special. Def agree that Panthers may not compare much to those especially Dolphins cuz of the history but def seeing an increase in interest for them especially now that they won. It seems like they had the biggest attendance average in the playoffs and were pretty decent in the regular season. An improvement from last year and previous years.

I've only been to one championship win and that was the Marlins in 97. They won in New York in 03. So that one feels extra special cuz live is always better. But always good to see a team win. The issue with the Marlins is that right after their championships they dismantled the team and fans just weren't as excited. Ownership screwed them over. At least the heat were able to keep their core players during the lebron years as well as having wade there from before building up interest.

I think if the panthers are able to keep their team mostly intact and show they care about staying competitive then hockey can become even more popular here. They not that much younger than the heat, or even the marlins, just 1 year separates those 2. But there has been a lot of losing seasons in between the run in 96 and this recent success. 25 years without a playoff win is discouraging. Especially when the team doesn't have much history like the others in the league. I remember when they got Pavel Bure back when I was in high school and they had a decent team but never were good enough. After both Heat and Panthers lost their finals last year, didn't think Panthers were gonna come back the next and win. May not pass the Heat in popularity just yet but they def got closer to them with this win.

Lets see if the Dolphins don't continue as frauds this season themselves. The Dallas Cowboys of the AFC with a less annoying fanbase. At least the Cowboys have won a playoff game this millennium. Had the perfect season in 1972 and thats been the peak of the franchise so far.
Perfect season is the peak of NFL, it dont get no better than that.. WTF :mjlol:

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
@MikelArteta

I spent a lot of time in Calgary visiting cousins growing up, going to Calgary Stampede, etc. Went to Edmonton once for the mall but didn't really get a vibe of the town. I remember their arena being insane when they were facing the Stars in the 2000s. But, I'm wondering is the fandom there as big/passionate as Flames/Leafs/Jets? I'm just trying to gauge how big of a L this is for them. I remember Vancouver going bonkers when they took the L a few years ago which surprised me b/c I never got the vibe that Canucks fans were passionate like some of the other teams in Canada.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Perfect season is the peak of NFL, it dont get no better than that.. WTF :mjlol:

yeah you right on that :mjlol:

but it seems like the team hasn't had anything to brag about since then. other than Marino and he done been passed by all the QBs that came after as far as being top 5 or top 10 greats.