The Chase For The Real Stanley Cup: 2024 Cup Playoffs Thread

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Big Jason Arnott!! Old No 25!! I messed up. They upset Dallas, didnt they? Idk why I thought it was Colorado. I used to hate Dallas, back then, too

yup it was dallas, andy moog in net dem old days when belfour was still a blackhawk

premier58

All Star
Daps
yup it was dallas, andy moog in net dem old days when belfour was still a blackhawk
So it was 1997. No wonder I couldnt remember what the Stars did that year, because they got there ass handed to themz early on.

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
I was rooting for Edmonton at the onset of the series, but winning like this, would be unforgettable. I see it happening, too. I see a 3pt night for CMD to seal the Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe. Bringing Lord Stanley to Canada for the 1st time in 31 years and breaking the 34 year drought in Edmonton, would mean sooo much. I grew up watching those mid to late 90's Edmonton teams on HNIC, also. Watching Doug Weight, Ryan Smyth, Boris Mironov, Mike Grier, Curtis Joseph etc ..
In the late 90s and early to mid 2000s (1998-2006) the oilers had three starting black players on the roster:

two Canadians ( Georges Laraque and Anson carter)

And one American (Mike Grier)

The oilers always had brehs on their roster( grant fuhr, eldon « pokey » reddikk, evander kane, Darnell nurse etc )

Last edited:

Soldier

Daps
Big Jason Arnott!! Old No 25!! I messed up. They upset Dallas, didnt they? Idk why I thought it was Colorado. I used to hate Dallas, back then, too
Arnott was traded by the oilers to the devils for bill Guerin on January 4, 1998. He was on the oilers team that upset Dallas in 1997 but was traded the following season. It was Bill Guerin who was on the team that upset Colorado in 1998.

The Edmonton Oilers both upset the Dallas stars in the 1997 western first round and the Colorado avalanche in the 1998 western first round with Curtis Joseph(cujo) in net

Last edited:

premier58

All Star
Daps
Arnott was traded by the oilers to the devils for bill Guerin on January 4, 1998. He was on the oilers team that upset Dallas in 1997 but was traded the following season. It was Bill Guerin who was on the team that upset Colorado in 1998.

The Edmonton Oilers both upset the Dallas stars in the 1997 western first round and the Colorado avalanche in the 1998 western first round with Curtis Joseph(cujo) in net
Thanks, man. I knew Edmonton upset Colorado. I didnt wanna look it up. We(Red Wings)beat Dallas that year, not Colorado. Its coming back to me now.

Dallas was loaded and won the Presidents' Trophy that season. Modano, Lehtinen, Belfour, Hatcher, Niewuendyk(sp), Verbeek, Sydor etc..Detroit, however, was the defending Stanley Cup Champion. I do remember the Red Wings trading for Chelios at the 99 trade deadline and assuming another championship was imminent, only for the Avalanche to kick our ass!!

Good or bad, those were the days. Although I love the 80's styled Oilers' jerseys, I miss that era of Oilers jersey with the darker blue and less prominent orange. I do remember all the black players they had. Mike Grier was a physical banger who scored timely goals with that big ass Bauer Helmet on. Anson Carter was a skilled playmaker.

Soldier

Daps
Thanks, man. I knew Edmonton upset Colorado. I didnt wanna look it up. We(Red Wings)beat Dallas that year, not Colorado. Its coming back to me now.

Dallas was loaded and won the Presidents' Trophy that season. Modano, Lehtinen, Belfour, Hatcher, Niewuendyk(sp), Verbeek, Sydor etc..Detroit, however, was the defending Stanley Cup Champion. I do remember the Red Wings trading for Chelios at the 99 trade deadline and assuming another championship was imminent, only for the Avalanche to kick our ass!!

Good or bad, those were the days. Although I love the 80's styled Oilers' jerseys, I miss that era of Oilers jersey with the darker blue and less prominent orange. I do remember all the black players they had. Mike Grier was a physical banger who scored timely goals with that big ass Bauer Helmet on. Anson Carter was a skilled playmaker.

The Detroit Red wings beat the Colorado avalanche in the 1997 WCF. Then they beat the Dallas stars in the 1998 WCF. In 1999, it was Dallas’s year. The stars weren’t going to be denied. It was cup or bust that season for them. The 1999 Red wings were stacked with the trade deadline addition of chelios though.

Joe nieuwendyk, their best sniper back then, was injured in 1998 by Bryan marchment during the first round series against the sharks.

No nieuwendyk for the rest of the playoffs, no Brett hull yet(he came to Dallas the next year) the stars were the best defensive team that year but they lacked scoring punch/depth offensively. That’s why Detroit beat them in the WCF. The red wings were as good as the stars defensively, but they were better because they had more weapons on offense. Primary scoring threats on detroit: Fedorov/Yzerman/Shanahan vs the only primary scoring threat on Dallas : Modano. Shyt was not even fair.

Also Chris osgood was as good as Belfour.

And Brett Hull wasn’t on the Dallas stars in 1997-1998. He was still with the St.Louis Blues. He only came to Dallas in the summer of 1998, as a free agent.

Against the buffalo sabres, He scored the triple overtime goal in game 6 that won the Stanley cup for the stars in the 1999 Stanley cup finals.

Last edited:

broller

Veteran
Daps
I was rooting for Edmonton at the onset of the series, but winning like this, would be unforgettable. I see it happening, too. I see a 3pt night for CMD to seal the Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe. Bringing Lord Stanley to Canada for the 1st time in 31 years and breaking the 34 year drought in Edmonton, would mean sooo much. I grew up watching those mid to late 90's Edmonton teams on HNIC, also. Watching Doug Weight, Ryan Smyth, Boris Mironov, Mike Grier, Curtis Joseph etc ..

Those Oilers had a lot of brehs at some points too. I think Grier, Anson Carter and Georges Laraque all played together at one point IIRC

But yeah, those teams were tough outs as underdogs in the 1st round.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
would be great if Edmonton makes history tonight. there should be a ton of extra eyes on the game tonight, hopefully McDavid shows out too so people can see his brilliance

Best case scenario for hockey, is Mcdavid makes a play late(prefably a goal) that wins them the game.