The Chase For The Real Stanley Cup: 2024 Cup Playoffs Thread

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
What’s the sports ranking in Miami/south Florida? I’m asking about which teams the actual locals who live in the city/area fukk with. The born and raised Miami folks

Heat, dolphins, panthers, inter Miami CF( Messi!) marlins, college football/basketball, etc

the dolphins are the heavy favorites cuz they been here the longest since i think the 60s. other 3 majors started in late 80s early 90s. inter miami is a fairly new team. of course dolphins haven't won a playoff game since longer than any other team in the league. but they usually the ones with the most hype.

next i say would be the heat. they had success during the lebron years and a title before that. they did make that covid finals and the one last year but lost. but the people still mostly fukk with them. dont think its as much as when lebron or wade were here but still decent enough. Jimmy Butler of course their most popular player so he got a big part in the interest.

third would be the panthers. they been to back to back finals and have been pretty decent for a few years. i know they had the big run back in 96 but after that they werent doing too well or talked about much. its a fairly young team as well so not much history or much of a hockey area. there's no snow or anything so its not like canada or one of the up north cities like chicago, nyc, boston, etc., where hockey is more popular. they have been growing a lot in popularity and hype. even to take it further with the lightning. the stanley cup finals have been in florida the past 5 years straight which is crazy cuz its not an area you think of for hockey. but its been getting some popularity. they just need players like barkov and tkachuk to become more household names. feel like its mostly Tua and Tyreek Hill and Jimmy Butler as well as of course Messi that are widely known.

now 4 i might have to give it to inner miami. Messi has definitely helped with the popularity of the sport down here. they lost the soccer team some years back and then Inter Miami came along and I know he's been a big part of the growth. not sure much about that league. i dont think they draw as much as bigger stadiums likely due to its size but there's a heavy latin population here so lot of them motherfukkers love soccer especially the south americans.

its tough with the rest. UM is popular but i dont think they have the same hype and interest as from back in the day. the mens basketball team went to the final four along with fau which is down here also. but i dont think the football team has done much. still got its fans tho. I think they def more popular than the marlins who i just looked and are way deep in last place. dont think they get much attendance at their park. I was talking to someone in another thread earlier how they removed Balley Sports from comcast down here so i dont even know where people can watch their games and the mlb app blocks out local games. they are near the bottom in attendance so not really a team much care about.

people mostly just care when something interesting is happening. nfl and dolphins are easier cuz its less games and longer history. not like the other 3 majors with longer seasons.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
im scared i know that little midget bettman doesn't wnant the cup where it belongs

Growing up I was always a leaf then oilers fan, oilers were usually the second game id get on a saturday night hockey night in canada. Plus they always had black players, fuhr, laroque, brashear, grier, braithwaite, pokey reddik, anson carter

Brosef

I respect O.G. knowledge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
im scared i know that little midget bettman doesn't wnant the cup where it belongs

Growing up I was always a leaf then oilers fan, oilers were usually the second game id get on a saturday night hockey night in canada. Plus they always had black players, fuhr, laroque, brashear, grier, braithwaite, pokey reddik, anson carter

Also Sean Brown, Joaquin Gage

Happy so many are tuning in for this run and captivated by our story this year

Many of the fans didn't get to witness the late 80s wins and there's been a lot of darkness going back 30 years, all leading up to this moment tomorrow

Oil in 7 has been the call all along but nobody could have predicted this, LFG

premier58

All Star
Daps
I was rooting for Edmonton at the onset of the series, but winning like this, would be unforgettable. I see it happening, too. I see a 3pt night for CMD to seal the Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe. Bringing Lord Stanley to Canada for the 1st time in 31 years and breaking the 34 year drought in Edmonton, would mean sooo much. I grew up watching those mid to late 90's Edmonton teams on HNIC, also. Watching Doug Weight, Ryan Smyth, Boris Mironov, Mike Grier, Curtis Joseph etc ..

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I was rooting for Edmonton at the onset of the series, but winning like this, would be unforgettable. I see it happening, too. I see a 3pt night for CMD to seal the Stanley Cup/Conn Smythe. Bringing Lord Stanley to Canada for the 1st time in 31 years and breaking the 34 year drought in Edmonton, would mean sooo much. I grew up watching those mid to late 90's Edmonton teams on HNIC, also. Watching Doug Weight, Ryan Smyth, Boris Mironov, Mike Grier, Curtis Joseph etc ..

Todd Marchant

premier58

All Star
Daps
Todd Marchant

I dont know how I forgot about him. He was so fast!! Much props!! I remember them coming back from down 3-1 to beat the Avs in 98, I think. Being from Detroit and them being a Western Conference holdover, I got many Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver games.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I dont know how I forgot about him. He was so fast!! Much props!! I remember them coming back from down 3-1 to beat the Avs in 98, I think. Being from Detroit and them being a Western Conference holdover, I got many Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver games.

yup those old school oilers would always be the 8th or 7th seed and then upset a san jose or dallas back when the cdn dollar was trash and oilers had no money bunch of plucky guys and a dougie weight or jason arnott but once their contract was up they couldnt afford em anymore. I think they were the 8th seed when they made the finals in 06

premier58

All Star
Daps
yup those old school oilers would always be the 8th or 7th seed and then upset a san jose or dallas back when the cdn dollar was trash and oilers had no money bunch of plucky guys and a dougie weight or jason arnott but once their contract was up they couldnt afford em anymore. I think they were the 8th seed when they made the finals in 06
Big Jason Arnott!! Old No 25!! I messed up. They upset Dallas, didnt they? Idk why I thought it was Colorado. I used to hate Dallas, back then, too

premier58

All Star
Daps
Yes they were the 8th seed. Crazy how they lost, Pronger leaves because he wife wanted to go somwhere nicer and he goes on wins the Cup in 07 with Anaheim..

premier58

All Star
Daps
So did Edmonton upset Colorado or Dallas. Off top, I know Detroit beat Colorado in the 97 WCF and beat Dallas in the 98 WCF. 99 Dallas won the Cup and 2000 they lost in the Finals to NJ. So dod Edmonton upset Dallas in 97 or Colorado in 98?