"‘The Book of Clarence": LaKeith Stanfield, RJ Cyler, Alfre Woodard, James McAvoy, Teyana Taylor, Benedict Cumberbatch & more (Discussion Thread)

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
The best movie I've seen in a awhile, all though some of the messages weren't all the way in line with the truth we know as Israelites. However, the way they portrayed the people, including the Messiah, in their true colors, was astonishing, and the closest to reality I've seen in a movie in recent times.

When I learned this film was a Comedy-Drama, I almost didn't go. But it turned out to have just the right amount of comedy, while still delivering a good message for the most part.

This a little off topic, but here are two good things about my visit that I would like to share:

1. It was better than Godzilla Minus One, even if Godzilla Minus One wouldn't have been subtitled. I still haven't met one person offline who even mentioned that movie.

2. I had a giant brother sitting next to me, who didn't get offended by me eating my popcorn. Probably because he had a large popcorn himself...lol. It was very unlike the experience I had sitting next to that big weird acting dude with an attitude, when I went to see "NOPE".

Nothing like seeing a good movie with a cool audience. Must say, it made my evening.

Last edited:

dblive

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Ohio
My review from another thread(no spoilers)

I honestly dont know what I think about this movie. One minute its a comedy,but not really funny. Next minute it takes itself very seriously and it has great actors. So since its not that funny, im thinking "should I be taking it seriously:patrice:".

Then something will happen that makes you say "nope,I shouldnt be taking it seriously at all". Theres a scene that completely took me out the movie towards the end.

Its a weird,somehwhat confusing movie as far as how it should be digested. Weird to the point I have to wonder if there are deeper meanings within the movie. Maybe the movie is speaking in parables like Jesus:ohhh:. Its confusing enough that it could be deeper than im grasping on first watch. Or it could just be a ridiculous movie,that has some good scenes/concepts. That couldve been great if they cut the silly shyt.

Also I finally came across some "woke" scenes. I Usually dont know what the hell these crackas be complaining about:mjlol:
Just seen the movie. Pretty spot on analysis. I don’t think the ending matched the verses 1&2. The tone changed entirely. I think the ending was on the “deeper ish” you referenced

MaccabeanRebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The outer limits
Movie was dope..really enjoyed the portrayal of israelites and romans. Only gripe is how they made Clarence an athiest in the beginning...its unrealistic. You expect me to believe that jews at that that time would let another hebrew openly blaspheme god...he would have got stoned. But overall I loved the portrayal of Jesus too

Def gonna see it again