The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

LOL, Gabby Union really thought it was one way, and not the other.:mjlol:

Was she naive enough to think that op-ed of hers would spare her from the fukkery that was the hit pieces of the film? :pachaha:

She really thought that?:russ:

Guess she's finally realizing that all this shyt wasn't about Nate, but all about shytting on the film, her supposed vehicle for what she wanted to push. All that low key throwing Nate Parker under the bus resulted in nothing in her favor. Not a damn thing:skip:

When will people learn that unnecessarily kissing the ass of people who don't give a shyt about you doesn't yield results:mjgrin:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
They still saying the film flopped :snoop:

They are going to completely and utterly destroy Parker and this film...

If Nate is smart, he's gonna have to start grinding on the low, build a following on a grassroots level. He might be doing so at the moment via his tour.

Hollywood wont do him any favors from here on out. But if Nate can build a following outside of the mainstream, he'll have a solid audience for his future projects.

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
They still saying the film flopped :snoop:

They are going to completely and utterly destroy Parker and this film...
Its unfortunate, but this is why Nate should have been a bit more savvy in the handling of the film. Probably should have taken the Netflix deal and see if they could have allocated the extra money for reshoots.

There were flaws from a filmmaking perspective. Obviously he didn't think it would be picked apart as it was. However, I think if he had been able to do reshoot for parts of the movie it would have went a long way.

There's a better Nat Turner movie out there than what we got. Maybe would have got it with this film if he polished up a few scenes/added bits here and there.

It would have been hard for them tear down a near perfect movie....

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Its unfortunate, but this is why Nate should have been a bit more savvy in the handling of the film. Probably should have taken the Netflix deal and see if they could have allocated the extra money for reshoots.

There were flaws from a filmmaking perspective. Obviously he didn't think it would be picked apart as it was. However, I think if he had been able to do reshoot for parts of the movie it would have went a long way.

There's a better Nat Turner movie out there than what we got. Maybe would have got it with this film if he polished up a few scenes/added bits here and there.

It would have been hard for them tear down a near perfect movie....

Reshoots are easier said than done, they were working on a shoe-string budget for filming. Plus, the movie was already done by the time it was sold. Remember that it premiered at Sundance.

Regardless of how well it was done, it's evident that many people were gonna shyt on it anyway, especially when the same mainstream media that was praising the film a few months ago at sundance started going in on it all the sudden.

This is the same film in which many reviewers resorted to lying in their reviews and criticisms of the film. Polishing the movie here and there won't stop people from slandering the project.

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
I watched it when it first debuted. I loved the film. I cried a bit. At this point, it is what it is. Im waiting for the Haiti Revolution movie Danny Glover supposed to make

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
I don't see how you can be a black man or person for that matter and criticize this movie....I loved it and took it for what it was. A brother making the best out of the scraps he was given
Personally I enjoyed this movie. However, to think that anything is above criticism is dangerous ideology. Without criticism, there can never by any improvement.

CanesMiamiLakers

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Personally I enjoyed this movie. However, to think that anything is above criticism is dangerous ideology. Without criticism, there can never by any improvement.
I'm not saying it's above criticism. I'm just seeing a lot of nitpicking. Knowing his situation and the budget of the film makes the movie that much greater. I agree I wanted to see more of the revolt, but I think the build up was more necessary in this instance.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw this yesterday

5 people in the cinema, only in 5 cinemas

Decent film, underwear what I thought it could be.