The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
Professor BlackTruth went off in his latest video:

Dude is overhyping the movie just because of the content of the film. I mean a brother who calls himself black truth who is head over heels about a black revolution movie......I get it, but breh.............the more I listened, the more it became clear, dude is a fukking idiot.........

Last edited:

The Blind Man

Illuminated Attitude Adjuster
Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia
This is exactly how I felt. The rebellion depiction was weak as hell. I left the theater disappointed.

I hear you breh. If they showed a realistic portrayal of the rebellion, I dont think the film would have been made.

American media has a snuff fetish with the African diaspora.

The civil war is okay, war of independence yep blast on them red coats all day!

But Africans fighting back doesnt seem to be palatable to the mainstream.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I didn't read the whole thread so I missed your post, but reading it now and that shyt is powerful as fukk.

I felt the exact same way. :salute:

This will go down as the safest black empowerment movie ever. shyt was made in a way to not piss white people off. Given the final product, I wish this movie never came out. That's how pissed I was after watching this film. It didn't uplift shyt. I honestly don't see what others saw in this film, but :manny:

Buffers stay exposing themselves. Everything in bold is a flat-out lie and you know it.

FLORIDA BOI

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My gripe with the movie is that it didn't depict the rebellion well. It didn't have to be on bullshyt like Django... but guess what??? It was based off of a TRUE STORY where white people died, and we hardly see any of that in detail in this film. Just face it, Nate Parker held BACK. 60 white slave holding people whether they were family members or slave owners were killed during this rebellion and there was only 1 brutal death shown in this movie during that period. (the beheading)

In the same light, the movie shows nikkas teeth getting knocked out and fed through a funnel, we see a women get that pumpkin head treatment, we see nikkas with their heads blown off, we see nikkas literally set on fire, we see kids and women hanging from trees... what kind of harsh imagery do we have in this film depicted from the other side? A beheading scene that we barely see. My gripe is that we were sold on this being a different kind of slave movie. Showing Nat Turner's plight and struggle, and how he was a hero for doing what he did. But the images that I'm left with from this film aren't from what Nat did or his revenge/rebellion... it's the same images that I've already seen on film time and time again.

This shyt was such a letdown. Dudes really just propping it up cause a black man made it, and that's fine. I'm not going to run on social media and shyt on this film. I'm just shocked people are just blindly putting this film on a pedestal. It was really like your typical slave movie to the core.

Another gripe I had (which I mentioned in a post earlier, but people ignored it) was how the movie didn't show us what Nat was doing to survive during the time after the rebellion til when he was captured. The time period was from Aug - Oct, and the movie just shows us what's probably a fake scenario where he's talking to his wife in the bushes in the field. That would have been more interesting and unique to his story than the same ol same ol that we got here.

The one thing that the story excelled at was showing how Christianity was used to control slaves during that time. I respected that aspect. But much of everything else, just fell flat for me, or just felt rushed. Highly disappointed in this man, smh.
I see where you coming from with this

:salute:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Last edited:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Virginia to have Nat Turner Emaciation Statue to be erected in Richmond. Nate needs 100% of the credit for this, this film has brought more awareness to Nat in the modern era than any novel, book or documentary. White Supremacy is the only reason this movie was attacked and Some Black people joined right along instead of being on Code and protecting Nate. This had nothing to do with Nate's past, this has to do with White supremacy NOT wanting Nat's story to be put on the big screen. We can have all these White Supremacy Statues and movies but God Forbid we see Nat Turner fight for his people and try to eliminate White Supremacy. The more we get away from this film the more sad it was to see people not protect the legacy of one of Greatest Black Americans in History. It's all good Nate, this Statue is more Ether to the haters, you did the right thing doing this film and story. Now look at the media and everyone wanna talk "White Supremacy" now when you drop this film White Supremacy took it down. I'm happy I saw through the B.S. Also the Eclipse last month happen on the Anniversary of Nat's Eclipse and looks at Racial Drama in America. This is not a coincidence. We are seeing the Black Spirit rising and they aren't ready for it.

Nat Turner, leader of a bloody slave uprising, will be honored on an anti-slavery monument in Richmond

20130821-082952.jpg

DCx6tmIWsAAHkK-.jpg

"I Fathered your Style/Birth of a Nation, Nat Turner Style" - Jay Z

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Virginia to have Nat Turner Emaciation Statue to be erected in Richmond. Nate needs 100% of the credit for this, this film has brought more awareness to Nat in the modern era than any novel, book or documentary. White Supremacy is the only reason this movie was attacked and Some Black people joined right along instead of being on Code and protecting Nate. This had nothing to do with Nate's past, this has to do with White supremacy NOT wanting Nat's story to be put on the big screen. We can have all these White Supremacy Statues and movies but God Forbid we see Nat Turner fight for his people and try to eliminate White Supremacy. The more we get away from this film the more sad it was to see people not protect the legacy of one of Greatest Black Americans in History. It's all good Nate, this Statue is more Ether to the haters, you did the right thing doing this film and story. Now look at the media and everyone wanna talk "White Supremacy" now when you drop this film White Supremacy took it down. I'm happy I saw through the B.S. Also the Eclipse last month happen on the Anniversary of Nat's Eclipse and looks at Racial Drama in America. This is not a coincidence. We are seeing the Black Spirit rising and they aren't ready for it.

Nat Turner, leader of a bloody slave uprising, will be honored on an anti-slavery monument in Richmond

20130821-082952.jpg

"I Fathered your Style/Birth of a Nation, Nat Turner Style" - Jay Z
Imagine getting locked up.. then having a trial to prepare for and fight... lose and have an execution.. all within 12 days :wow:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Yep movie was white washed and sanitized. Didn’t help they tried to rail road Parker before the movie dropped