satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
UConn Coach takes entire team to see "Birth of a Nation":

Kevin OllieVerified account ‏@CoachKO_UConn 3h3 hours ago
Great time wt the guys watching Birth of a Nation. Left the movies wt my heart filled wt Gratitude. #BetterTogether

Cv2fGj6UsAIoa1v.jpg

:salute:
Which sport is this?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Everyone check out this short documentary by the Legend Melvin Van Peeples about how Blacks have been treated in Cinema and understand why more films like "Birth of a Nation" must happen to counter white supremacy narratives and stereotypes. Also I do not blame these black actors of the past because these roles were all they had. Iconically Melvin at the end talks about how they "Ticket-Swap" for Black Films to bring down their box office. Then they say, "Oh Black cast films flop, nobody wants to see them". It's one big game folks.

tt0141593.jpeg

(48:54 where Melvin talks about Theaters sabatoging Black Films)

I'm 12:37 into this documentary...

:dahell: They used to have cacs playing lightskin & mulatto blacks in movies and called them Pinkies?

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

:dahell: They used to have cacs playing lightskin & mulatto blacks in movies and called them Pinkies?

Yeah man, it's sad how bad we've been protrayed in Hollywood on Television and Film. So this is why we have to take control of our stories. Also Regal Cinema had to release a statement. Damn that video is something they never wanted to get out. Spike Lee complained about this years ago. More Black Commentary on this Sabatoge going on:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Was looking at 12 years a Slave's box office numbers and found something interesting. It's foreign numbers were pretty damn big.

12 Years a Slave (2013) - Box Office Mojo

Domestic: $56,671,993 30.2%
+ Foreign: $131,061,209 69.8%

= Worldwide: $187,733,202

The strong majority of 12 Years a Slave's numbers came from overseas, not the U.S.. This is important as 12 years was distributed by Fox Searchlight, just like Birth of a Nation.

Also keep in mind that 12 years a Slave was financed by film studios unlike BOAN and was more expensive to make than BOAN, at the cost of $22 million.

In short, whether or not Birth of a Nation is a financial success or not may come down to how it does outside of the U.S.. If Fox is on their jobs, they might pull it off.

EDIT: Did additional research. Lionsgate distributed 12 years a Slave overseas, while Fox Searchlight did the domestic distribution. I wonder if this same approach will be used for BOAN.

12 Years was billed overseas as starring Brad Pitt. It caused a minor controversy when a poster came out with Pitt's face plastered all over it and Chiwetol,was nowhere to be seen...

That's how Lionsgate and Fox got their overseas gross...

There is no White Savior equivalent in BOAN

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
12 Years was billed overseas as starring Brad Pitt. It caused a minor controversy when a poster came out with Pitt's face plastered all over it and Chiwetol,was nowhere to be seen...

Good points.

If BOAN can get even half of those overseas numbers, then I think the film will be fine and will be deemed profitable.

That said...I can see them featuring Armie Hammer in the overseas posters somehow...:patrice:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

12-Years-a-Slave-italy-po-009.jpg

:snoop:

It wasn't just Brad, Fassebender also got the push too. Even though I enjoyed the film, This is why "12 Years" is not over "Birth". They even used the "White Savior" trope in the marketing. Sad. LOL @ "The Slave Masters" Heads being big and the Soloman the slave who the focus of the story is about being small. SMH. As for it's overseas prospects. They slashed 1,400 theaters in just 2 weeks here in the US and now people are having problems seeing the film. I doubt there overseas rollout will be that huge. I'm hoping for 20-30 Million overseas to give it close to 50 Million globally. Also this weekend they slashed more theaters. This is getting ridiclous now.

Week 1 - 2,100
10 Days Later - 661
22 Days Later - 404

Meanwhile "Keeping up the Joneses" Grossed LESS Than "Birth" Opening weekend and is in 3,000 theaters still and is flopping hard.

Last edited:

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
UConn Coach takes entire team to see "Birth of a Nation":

Kevin OllieVerified account ‏@CoachKO_UConn 3h3 hours ago
Great time wt the guys watching Birth of a Nation. Left the movies wt my heart filled wt Gratitude. #BetterTogether

Cv2fGj6UsAIoa1v.jpg

:salute:
I think Ollie might have been an original investor for Nate

and yeah, regarding them slashing the # of theaters its being shown in, I couldn't believe that going into just its 3rd week how hard it was to find all of a sudden

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
Saw this tonight. It was very good at moments but I understand the criticisms. Those are Nate's choices. A better Nat Turner film could be made.

Aja Naomi King is a superstar. I'll watch anything she's in.

Aja is beautiful. She's wife material.

I'm not going to lie, but I started laighing when the brother chopped off his slave masters head and held it up.

There were other brothers say "Hell Yeah," when they started killing the white people. That shyt was funny, that movie had me hype.

When the kid ran off and told the other slave plantation what was happening, the brothers and sisters were yelling "fukking sellout."

I'm going to watch this movie again, I can't wait until it comea out on dvd.

Little nikka was a fukking Judas. He tried to fight in the Civil War to ease is conscious. FOH :camby: The actor they chose when he was a man was kinda off too seeing as that kid was atleast 12 or 13 and the Civil War happened 30 years after Nat died.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Yep white played black people even in plays.

But that is a great documentary and I had it about 8 years ago but lost it one year when I was moving.