The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

she right

A lot of people were turned off with Nate Parker's actions selling the movie. We as a society do not care about violence against women as much as we should. Also 60% of the attendance for the film was black women that first weekend.

If that dude didnt come across as an a$$hole in his selling of the movie, then there woudnt have been this much negative coverage.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
she right

A lot of people were turned off with Nate Parker's actions selling the movie. We as a society do not care about violence against women as much as we should. Also 60% of the attendance for the film was black women that first weekend.

If that dude didnt come across as an a$$hole in his selling of the movie, then there woudnt have been this much negative coverage.
:stopitslime:How was he an a$$hole

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Incredible and powerful film. So many jewels. Lotta yall just skimming the surface. Nate dissected white folks and white supremacy to the core. It wasnt just about the violence or rebellion. It was about black liberation. So much still relevant today.

That much I agree with. You gon have to provide receipts for where Nate Parker "dissected white folks and white supremacy to the core" though breh because that wasn't the movie I saw.

BlaKcMoney

Hijo Del Ray
Daps
As much as i wanted this movie to be have an hour of "300" Spartan levels of violence and cac killing, I'm not disappointed with it. I had to remember that this is the first Nat Turner movie and could pave the way for an even greater remake or another movie showing revolutionary black men. I have to see it again to really dissect it but I would recommend all of our people go see it.

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
she right

Serious question, who was taking statistics on this film to say 60% were black women that showed up to this movie. I keep seeing that getting said and not that I don't believe it but I know the teenager who I bought a ticket from looked like she could care less if I was buying a ticket for that or anything else. You got a link for that figure?

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
That much I agree with. You gon have to provide receipts for where Nate Parker "dissected white folks and white supremacy to the core" though breh because that wasn't the movie I saw.

One thing I noticed, especially since I grew up in the suburbs, is he showed the progression of life growing up with certain white people. Went from playing with Sam as a child, to somewhat being cool, to Sam flipping on him towards the end. Nate was into wrestling so I'm sure he has seen it also. Some people who you grew up with who might listen to hip hop or played games with you, as time goes on and the years pass, will end up flipping on you. All of a sudden on FB you see them going off about the 08 Election, think Zimmerman was protecting himself, Bluelivesmatter, etc.

doublex

Pro
Daps
Serious question, who was taking statistics on this film to say 60% were black women that showed up to this movie. I keep seeing that getting said and not that I don't believe it but I know the teenager who I bought a ticket from looked like she could care less if I was buying a ticket for that or anything else. You got a link for that figure?

Filmmaker’s Controversial Past Takes Its Toll On ‘Birth Of A Nation’ At The B.O.

The real statistic is that "Birth of a Nation showed a majority of females attending at 61%" and that "various exit polls shows that close to 60% of Birth of a Nation‘s ticket buyers are African American."

So the real question is: Why didn't men support this movie as much as women did? :patrice:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
One thing I noticed, especially since I grew up in the suburbs, is he showed the progression of life growing up with certain white people. Went from playing with Sam as a child, to somewhat being cool, to Sam flipping on him towards the end. Nate was into wrestling so I'm sure he has seen it also. Some people who you grew up with who might listen to hip hop or played games with you, as time goes on and the years pass, will end up flipping on you. All of a sudden on FB you see them going off about the 08 Election, think Zimmerman was protecting himself, Bluelivesmatter, etc.
But this is a critique I had with character development. It just happened. One day they buddies, the next its clear that Sam had to die. What happened? And dont say, "well what happens in life, we dont know either," because the post was in response to dissecting white folks and white supremacy. It didnt.

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
Filmmaker’s Controversial Past Takes Its Toll On ‘Birth Of A Nation’ At The B.O.

The real statistic is that "Birth of a Nation showed a majority of females attending at 61%" and that "various exit polls shows that close to 60% of Birth of a Nation‘s ticket buyers are African American."

So the real question is: Why didn't men support this movie as much as women did? :patrice:

:yeshrug: Probably should ask some other men, I was there. All I see is men talking about the movie also in other places I go. Thanks for the link cause I've been wondering how everyone got that number.

doublex

Pro
Daps
:yeshrug: Probably should ask some other men, I was there. All I see is men talking about the movie also in other places I go. Thanks for the link cause I've been wondering how everyone got that number.

I guess talk doesn't always lead to action.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Another hitpiece from THR:

In its second weekend, box office plunged 60 percent for the slave-rebellion drama, which the specialty distributor purchased for a record $17.5 million at the Sundance Film Festival.

Signaling a quick rise and fall in theaters, Nate Parker's The Birth of a Nation plummeted 60 percent at the box office in its second weekend, a sharp decline for a film expected to play throughout awards season. The question now is how much Fox Searchlight will lose after paying a record $17.5 million for worldwide rights to the slave-rebellion drama at the Sundance Film Festival and an estimated $18 million more on marketing. Birth had earned just $12.3 million as of Oct. 17.

Some box-office observers believe the loss will be at least $10 million, considering the film likely will earn no more than $16 million or $17 million domestically. Searchlight declined comment, but Fox insiders insist the loss will be $7 million at most — and perhaps less than $5 million — since Searchlight's films go through lucrative international TV deals. There also will be revenue from U.S. home entertainment, which could equal box-office gross.

124_tboan_sg_00015-embed.jpg

Birth’s steep second-weekend drop signals the controversial film won’t play through awards season.

Analyst Eric Handler of MKM Partners doesn't believe Birth is a total debacle despite the negative attention on Parker's involvement in a 1999 rape case and the suicide of the woman who alleged Parker and Birth co-writer Jean Celestin assaulted her. "They are part of a big studio, so this will be a rounding error," says Handler. Still, it's been a bruising experience for the specialty distributor.

Parker's film was considered an Oscar frontrunner out of Sundance, and Searchlight presidents Stephen Gilula and Nancy Utley hoped for a repeat of 12 Years a Slave, which won best picture and grossed $187.7 million worldwide, including a stunning $131.6 million overseas.

But without Oscar attention, Birth may gross only $5 million to $10 million overseas. (Parker's agency, CAA, is said to be pushing Searchlight for an awards campaign, but it's not clear how much of a push it will receive.)

The big question is how Parker's drama would have fared had the rape trial not resurfaced. "This is a tough movie, and it gave audiences an excuse not to go see it," concludes one veteran distributor.

Box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian agrees: "While Birth of a Nation may have had some commercial limitations due to its intensity, period setting and subject matter, the promise of success that was once seemingly preordained when the film was picked up at Sundance was derailed by the unfortunate extemporaneous baggage that followed the movie once news of the Parker controversy broke."

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
But this is a critique I had with character development. It just happened. One day they buddies, the next its clear that Sam had to die. What happened? And dont say, "well what happens in life, we dont know either," because the post was in response to dissecting white folks and white supremacy. It didnt.

Let me ask you a question, do you think that you think you can truthfully be friends with someone who thinks they are better than you? You can have fun with them, you can hang out, they might even be defensive of you, but the moment you overstep some perceived boundary that they have in their mind they will let you know exactly how they feel about you. Now in this movie, you see them playing hide and seek when they were younger, Sam even gets defensive over him to another white man, but as soon as Nat over stepped his boundaries and baptized that one guy which embarrassed Sam to other people, Sam let him know exactly where he viewed him. Now what makes him think that Nat was below him. Obviously skin tone, so my question is how can they truthfully have been buddies. This is one of the main problem with white supremacy, the thought process that you are better because of your skin. This is why people were literally were having melt downs in 2008, someone was going to the White House who didn't belong.

Now how he got to the point that Sam should die, lets say at your job, your manager gives you the authority to do something. You decide to actually use the authority outside the norm but other managers and your CEO don't like it. You get written up and in trouble while the manager who gave you the authority is sitting back and saying "well yea I gave him the authority, but I ain't tell him to do that." I'm sure there would be some trust and anger issues there. Now lets throw in a beating and I'm sure most of us would be thinking the same way.