The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Because of work schedule I wasn't able to see it last week but I took the wife out and saw it last night. First thing I noticed was this is a pretty busy movie theater, and there was a total of 5 people in there. But I think it'll be packed with black women and church folks to see madea's new movie next week but I digress.

Overall I thought the movie was good, it wasn't great because I didn't think Nat's cohesive plan was really put in depth. Another scene that caught my eye was when he was in the bushes and his wife said they were just going plantation to plantation killing blacks just because they were angry. Which historians have said is true that after the slave rebellion things got even worse for blacks but it's hard to imagine but I guess it did.

Don't know if it was overblown or not but it seems most plantation owners were having problems with their slaves rebelling and they used a black face to calm them down with the supposed teachings of god. No different than when black unarmed men are killed present day, you have preachers quoting MLK and saying let god deal with it

Again it was a pretty good movie.
:whew::ohlawd::snoop:

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
I saw it yesterday. Theater was pretty empty but I went to see it early because there was only 1 screening for the day. Very very good movie. I left the theater sad and angry, however, I have a much greater appreciation for the things that my ancestors had to endure. I think a lot of times we forget that.

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Weekend Box Office Results for October 14-16, 2016 - Box Office Mojo

12.3 Million for "Birth of a Nation". Here's a lesson in Box Office and proof of the media bias. This weekend Ben Affleck's film "The Accountant" was released. It comes in at #1 with 24 Million OW. It's budget is 45 Million. No talks of Flop. Last weeks #1 "Girl of the Train" dropped hard but has now made 1 million over it's 45 Million Budget though wiht 46 Million. "Masterminds" came out a few weeks ago it has Zack G from "Hangover" Owen Wilson and Kristen Wiig from "Braidsmaids". It has only grossed 16 Million in two weeks, no talks of flop.

As I said last week both Tim Burton and Mark Walhburg's films are struggling to make their 100+ Million budget back. Now Denzel and Tom Hanks are both doing good as "Mag 7" and "Sully" are still going strong. Kevin Hart came out strong with 11 Million for "What Now" off a 9.9 Million Budget. Plus comedy stand up films only make so much. Lastly the Kid sci fil film "Max Steel" bombed badly making less than even "Birth of a Nation" this weekend. So you have all these major hollywood releases barely performing yet "Birth of a Nation" was touted as one of the Biggest Flops of the Year and it's made it's budget back and is headed for 20+ Million Domestic which is 3x's it Budget.
White supremacy y'all

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think it's online anywhere.

Support the movie though. Go during matinee hours when the tickets are cheaper if it's a cash problem.

me n tha wife were going to check it out in the theater...but you know how it gets when you're at home and bored..factor in the internet lol shyt becomes convient

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I agree with that in the sense that Nat Turner's rebellion was empowered by his faith. My problem though is that the film does not look at the slave owners' actions and thoughts through any lens besides faith when clearly there is a conscious objection on their part to the majority of the scripture because it conflicts with their other beliefs. Nat Turner's POV is obviously limited because his education is limited to his experience on the plantation and the teachings he was able to glean from the bible. The film does a good job of fleshing out the character of Nat Turner and his POV, it doesn't do as good of a job fleshing out the POV of his enemies. The POV of the slave owners is not merely predicated on a willful misinterpretation of the bible, it's a lot deeper than that. Their children are literally indoctrinated every day to look at black people as subhuman. They learn to be threatened and offended to their very core by the idea that black people are as human as they are: that is what allows them to willfully misinterpret the bible without seeing the obvious blasphemy.

The movie presents the idea that the society of slavery is a consciously blasphemous one constructed on lies but I would argue that its society is actually constructed on deep rooted beliefs that radically skew their ability to perceive truth. They truly believe they are God's chosen people because they truly believe they are the only people. They believe that they and they alone have been given natural superiority and divine agency over "the savages". The white supremacist rhetoric of the 19th century - phrenology, manifest destiny, the white man's burden, etc. - espoused as much and the film did not really bother to look at just how deeply that white society internalized their superiority no matter how crazy the rationale was.
Calvin Candie bullshyt :scust:

Good post. :ehh:

I think we can all agree Nate did a great job acting in this movie. I do wish another director would have stepped up and directed it for him.
No matter how good or great people think this movie is....there's a better version of this movie out there. Shame no one wanted to step up and add that polish/extra layers to the movie. Cause lets be real Nate was basically doing the Mel Gibson version of this movie. Which makes sense since he has to carry so many hats. Thats tough.

However, since everyone else was afraid of the backlash I give Nate kudos for making sure the movie happened anyway.

Last edited:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Incredible and powerful film. So many jewels. Lotta yall just skimming the surface. Nate dissected white folks and white supremacy to the core. It wasnt just about the violence or rebellion. It was about black liberation. So much still relevant today.