The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Nate Parker’s “The Birth of a Nation,” meanwhile, is not faring as well.

Friday totals show Fox Searchlight’s controversial film about Nat Turner earned $2.6 million at 2,105 theaters, and is heading for an opening weekend of about $8 million.

now maybe y'all can understand what i meant when i said he should have swallowed his pride

pride told him to say fukk all the people who were trying to help him spin this away from the rape... they hired a top notch pr firm, oprah was in his corner going to give him a softball interview on cbs, they had it all written out for him to say the right/white words, so they could continue to push this movie

instead he said fukk y'all.. i'm gonna do me... and they said cool, fukk you AND your movie.....and his pride helped him to the tune of 8 million dollars... there will never be another slave uprising movie again with these numbers

like people said in that pro black thread... sometimes you gotta suffer for the greater good of your people... more people needed access and knowledge of this movie being out

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Just got back from seeing it and it was dope. Gladly paid that money to support.

One question
The little boy snitched right? Thats how the cacs got the jump on nat's crew at the plantation? and what was the meaning of them focusing on the lil boy again at the end when nat got hung?
That was a different kid that was with Nat. He was the boy who greeted Nat and his master in the plantation where they treated the slaves brutally (chopped off the teeth).He was from the same plantation as the big bearded guy.

The one that got hung was the snitch. It shows it didn't matter who you were and what you did, if you were black, you were hung.

Last edited:

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
This movie was so damn good
I admit I don't get into some kill YT mentality when I watch these slave movies but a couple parts had me like "yeah I don't care if he's killing women and children"
Shame Nate Parker is gonna be blackballed in Hollywood if he doesn't clean up at the Oscars this year

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Good movie... Left feeling like I want to do some revolutionary shyt.....No matter the odds.

...And fukk that little rusty lipped c00n that snitched to massa :pacspit:
The snitch was lynched at the end. The rusty lip boy grew up and became the Union soldier.

But he became a real nikka as an adult and fought for the Union army tho :manny:

The snitch was lynched.
How did yall miss that??

Benjamin Sisko

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
@mastermind probably loved this character. :sas2:

MV5BNjU4ODQ2NTQyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTQ1MjU0._V1_UY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
:russ:"Ole dont u go startin trouble here"- ass nikka

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Where the choice wenches in the cellar at? I do hope the black female lead in this movie gets half the pop Lupita got #BirthOfANation

Last edited:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Nate Parker’s “The Birth of a Nation,” meanwhile, is not faring as well.

Friday totals show Fox Searchlight’s controversial film about Nat Turner earned $2.6 million at 2,105 theaters, and is heading for an opening weekend of about $8 million.

now maybe y'all can understand what i meant when i said he should have swallowed his pride

pride told him to say fukk all the people who were trying to help him spin this away from the rape... they hired a top notch pr firm, oprah was in his corner going to give him a softball interview on cbs, they had it all written out for him to say the right/white words, so they could continue to push this movie

instead he said fukk y'all.. i'm gonna do me... and they said cool, fukk you AND your movie.....and his pride helped him to the tune of 8 million dollars... there will never be another slave uprising movie again with these numbers

like people said in that pro black thread... sometimes you gotta suffer for the greater good of your people... more people needed access and knowledge of this movie being out

Nope I don't agree with this. Nate should not have gotten on his knees begging White people to "Forgive Him" for a crime he was innocent of and did not commit just so they could not got to the movie anyway. Oprah and company most likely wanted Nate to go on an apology tour to again appease White Society period. Where's Zimmerman's apology tour? Or all the White Cops that got off? But Nate has to do it because people want to deflect from the real message of the film (Black People DO FOR SELF) Even if he did everything you said White People would still reject this movie because there is no White Savoir in it and it shows Black people strong doing for ourselves. This narrative doesn't fit the historical one of White People always having to save blacks. You make it like this was going to be a blockbuster had Nate gone on television saying how sorry he was for "Not" committing a crime he was accused of. So No Nate shouldn't of backed down. This type of mentality is why Blacks haven't moved forward. We need to make our movies, our way and be unapologitic about it.

Your last line discirbes what Nate actually did. He sacificed his image and career by being unapologically black just to get this movie into 2,000 screens. I think the key point everyone is missing is we've never seen a Black Liberation story like this EVER. Nat Turner did not bow down to white acceptance and neither should Nate. Also anyone saying this is a flop lacks knowledge of Box Office. The more the media tries to spin this as a flop the more the agenda is playing out in front of our eyes. I wish the numbers were bigger but I didn't expect Whites to suport a movie showing us liberating ourselves. Also as I said in my review there are Blacks still suffering from self-hatered programmed from Slavery. Because some would would rather see a slave Fantasy where a White man frees us instead of a real story about us freeing ourselves. It was only a 7 Million budget to make the movie. "Free State of Jones" cost 50 Million Dollars and made 21 Million domestic. That was a flop. Steven Spielberg's "Amistad" Cost 36 Million and made 44 Million domestic.

Even "Django" cost 100 Million and made 162 Million Domestic (Only 62 Million more than it's budget) not counting overseas. Mel Gibson's classic "Bravehart" cost 75 Million and made 72 Million Domestic. "Birth of a Nation" cost 7 Million is is about to make 8 opening weekend. If it makes past 21 million that's 3x's it budget domestically. Big blockbusters like "Civil War" and "Suicide Squad" did not make 3x's their budget domestically. Plus Fox already paid 17 Million so the investors are already paid. Marketing was very limited at best. So "Birth of a Nation" is a success that it made it's budget back opening weekend on a Black Liberation film that the industry has tried to destory. Nate did it his way and did not have outside interferece. This is a triumph for Black Cinema and a new model for future black filmmakers (A simular model was used by Spike Lee and black flimmkers in the 80's and 90's) where we no longer judge our stories and success based on white standards. Also your wrong about "There will never be another slave uprising movie". There will be more because flimmakers will no longer go through the Hollywood system. They will get the money themselves like Nate did and make the films on their own.

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Nope I don't agree with this. Nate should not have gotten on his knees begging White people to "Forgive Him" for a crime he was innocent of and did not commit just so they could not got to the movie anyway. Oprah and company most likely wanted Nate to go on an apology tour to again appease White Society period. Even if he did everything you said White People would still reject this movie because there is no White Savoir in it and it shows Black people strong doing for ourselves. This narrative doesn't fit the historical one of White People always having to save blacks. You make it like this was going to be a blockbuster had Nate gone on television saying how sorry he was for "Not" committing a crime he was accused of. So No Nate shouldn't of backed down. This type of mentality is why Blacks haven't moved forward. We need to make our movies, our way and be unapologitic about it.

Your last line discirbes what Nate actually did. He sacificed his image and career by being unapologically black just to get this movie into 2,000 screens. I think the key point everyone is missing is we've never seen a Black Liberation story like this EVER. Nat Turner did not bow down to white acceptance and neither should Nate. Also anyone saying this is a flop lacks knowledge of Box Office. The more the media tries to spin this as a flop the more the agenda is playing out in front of our eyes. I wish the numbers were bigger but I didn't expect Whites to suport a movie showing us liberating ourselves. Also as I said in my review there are Blacks still suffering from self-hatered programmed from Slavery. Because some would would rather see a slave Fantasy where a White man frees us instead of a real story about us freeing ourselves. It was only a 7 Million budget to make the movie. "Free State of Jones" cost 50 Million Dollars and made 21 Million domestic. That was a flop. Steven Spielberg's "Amistad" Cost 36 Million and made 44 Million domestic.

Even "Django" cost 100 Million and made 162 Million Domestic (Only 62 Million more than it's budget) not counting overseas. Mel Gibson's classic "Bravehart" cost 75 Million and made 72 Million Domestic. "Birth of a Nation" cost 7 Million is is about to make 8 opening weekend. If it makes past 21 million that's 3x's it budget domestically. Big blockbusters like "Civil War" and "Suicide Squad" did not make 3x's their budget domestically. Plus Fox already paid 17 Million so the investors are already paid. Marketing was very limited at best. So "Birth of a Nation" is a success that it made it's budget back opening weekend on a Black Liberation film that the industry has tried to destory. Nate did it his way and did not have outside interferece. This is a triumph for Black Cinema and a new model for future black filmmakers (A simular model was used by Spike Lee and black flimmkers in the 80's and 90's) where we no longer judge our stories and success based on white standards. Also your wrong about "There will never be another slave uprising movie". There will be more because flimmakers will no longer go through the Hollywood system. They will get the money themselves like Nate did and make the films on their own.
That all sounds good. Until you realize in order to do only 8 million, no black people are running out to see it either.

Nobody told him to apologize. Matter of fact to be fair, we have no clue what they told him to do. But we do know they had the full force behind them to support this movie. And it was cut the moment he decided to not go along

Now while I do feel your point about going outside Hollywood, who exactly is doing that? Nate had to go to Hollywood to get this made. Spike lee out here crying to Hollywood for money.

Who exactly is making movies without Hollywood money and they are black? Nobody. Even Tyler Perry's movies and shows are doing terrible since using his own money.

You want to make movies and advertise and play on Hollywood screens but think you gonna circumvent them. No. You won't.

Also you conveniently keep naming domestic numbers. Most movies make MOST their money on foreign dollars. Hence why they put them there.

And last. Double the production budget you listing cause this movie also has an advertising budget. Movies need to make double their production worldwide in order to break even. This was a flop breh

Great movie. But flop.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
That all sounds good. Until you realize in order to do only 8 million, no black people are running out to see it either.

Nobody told him to apologize. Matter of fact to be fair, we have no clue what they told him to do. But we do know they had the full force behind them to support this movie. And it was cut the moment he decided to not go along

Now while I do feel your point about going outside Hollywood, who exactly is doing that? Nate had to go to Hollywood to get this made. Spike lee out here crying to Hollywood for money.

Who exactly is making movies without Hollywood money and they are black? Nobody. Even Tyler Perry's movies and shows are doing terrible since using his own money.

You want to make movies and advertise and play on Hollywood screens but think you gonna circumvent them. No. You won't.

The movie can only be judged by it's budget and making your budget back OW has always been considered successful and good in Hollywood. It made 8 Million dollars, people obviously watched the film. "12 Years A Slave" made 6 Million Dollars OW and cost about 15 Million more than "Birth". Yet nobody was calling that a "Flop" opening weekend now did they? I've already exposed the agenda at play here and it's clear as day. The only thing Nate did was go to Fox to get the screens and remember they paid him 17 Million so Hollywood came to him, not the other way around. That's the model, get the money, make the movie ourselves and force Hollywood to come to us. If they don't, release the film on as many screens as you can get (Tariq's Hidden Colors 4 was released on limited screens without Hollywood distrubution). This is my point, this is a new model. As long as we continue to get the money from Hollywood we can never expect real Black Liberation stories.