The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Is that what you get out of slave movies? That we're weak?

They bought us because we're strong
They whipped us, created slave patrols, and passed legislation to punish and kill us and any white that aided us to liberation because we kept breaking our bonds
In spite of them trying to brainwash us and threaten us with death, we continued our customs and developed new ones. We developed new ways of making our work easier, we learned how to read and created our own schools way before it was legal.
We survived an attempt at mass genocide when they thought our numbers were too large and we were no longer useful.
Slave movies are a reminder that we're still here, and we're strong as hell. There's nothing weak about a group of people who have to be oppressed by sheer force and the threat of force. These fukkers were scared of us, and still are.

And we also Fought and got our freedoms

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
I'd like to address some criticisms I've read about the film.

The Treatment of the Black female characters

Some critics have said that the movie failed the female characters, especially the black females. I have to disagree with that. They definitely weren't just "there" and they def had an impact to the plot, especially Nat's grandmother, Nat's mother, Cherry Turner, and even Elizabeth Turner (Samuel Turner's mother). I elaborate more in the spoilers below.

Nat's grandmother was a big source of support to Nat's mother, especially when Nat was taken away by Elizabeth Turner and brought to the house. She also made sure her family didn't fall apart when Nat's father had to leave the plantation after killing a slave patroler.

Most importantly, she saved her family life in the beginning of the film, when she pretended to beg to the slave patroler in order to retrieve the food before he found it.

Throughout the film, she helped her daughter keep it together. She also was the one who married Nat and Cherry Turner too.

Speaking of Nat's mother, one criticism was that we didn't see the pain black women went through. Again I disagree. One thing that really hit me was Nat's mother. She had to deal with her son being taken away by her slave master's wife and she flat out couldn't do anything about it. The movie made sure to show her anguish AND to show that she had support throughout this, via her mother (Nat's grandmother).

Elizabeth Turner has an obvious impact to the story: she teaches Nat how to read. However, she had another impact by giving Nat an unprecedented amount of agency via allowing Nat to baptize a white man, despite knowing that the whole town, including Samuel, would NOT like that one bit.

Lastly, Cherry Turner was perhaps the most impactful female character in the story, especially as far as Nat is concerned. After being assaulted by slave patrolers, Nat was determined to get retribution. However, Cherry would not tell him who did it and instead she recited back scripture to Nat, and insisted that he "leaves it to the lord." Thus, Nat reluctantly decides to fall back. Things could've been very different if she not only told him who did it, but also told him to get retribution. Which leads us to....

...the rebellion. Nat receives the "signal" from God for the rebellion to begin. Before rejoining the others, he stops by to visit Cherry one more time. She's still recovering. By that point, her views on retribution have evolved. She not only tells Nat that he's right, but also tells him to do it for her (and does it in a very soft spoken voice since she's recovering. Major props to Aja King on that scene). And from that point on, Nat was 100% committed.

Overall, the treatment of the female characters def wasn't perfect, but it was nowhere as bad as some critics claimed it was. Some of the female characters, Cherry Turner and Nat's Grandmother in particular (IMHO), def had highlights.

Lastly, the other Criticism I've been hearing:

The rape scenes weren't handled right:

A few things about those scenes.

-They happened off screen. We don't them occurring, but we do see the aftermath.

-Those scenes were not gratuitous: they clearly shown as morally wrong. However, it also reflected the pain and helplessness both black women (and even black men) went through during those times concerning that topic. The scene with Gabby Union in particular reflected that helplessness that was unfortunately quite common in those days.

I def understand if someone else would've done it differently, especially considering the topic. But the way it was handled on this film was fine, imho.

In short, I still believe that this film is worth watching and that it's worthy of the praise it gets.
I don't want to spoil this movie, but a small understanding of the ISIS papers definitely put in perspective how important the female roles in this film were . I had a conversation with a sister after the show, and she said she felt proud of how the female charchters were presented.

This movie was good, don't just read articles about it go see it for yourself.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jeremy Jahns didn't care for it too much. Perhaps that was expected....

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Great response!!!

I just wanna see these people pay.
That is all.

Just got back from watching it

My only gripe with the film is I feel like I didn't get to see them pay enough

It was a lot of build up to the actual revolt, then it seemed like it started and ended fast as hell

Great flick though

Glad I got to see it made in my lifetime

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown

It was a lot of build up to the actual revolt, then it seemed like it started and ended fast as hell

Great flick though

Yea I can agree with that. It was very quick.

Daps

Great flick though

Yea I can agree with that. It was very quick.

Agreed but after reading in here that this film only cost $10M to make it all makes sense. Fight scenes are expensive. Didn't Game of thrones just spend $10M on the Battle of the b*stards alone?

Human Torch

Byrd Gang 🦅
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly born. PG raised
Brehs.....i'm not saying this was the best movie ever but it immediately changed my life.

I walked out hurt, emotional, disappointed in myself because we've come so far and at the same time we haven't. I honestly believe this movie will inspire me to take a stance on something, something that will hopefully help our people progress.

This feeling i got from it was so powerful. I honestly can't even express how I truly feel yet.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
'Birth of a Nation' is a Hit With Critics, Against All Odds

Nate Parker’s film has been plagued with controversy but that isn’t deterring critics from giving it great reviews

Nate Parker’s “The Birth of a Nation” is a “powerfully affecting film” that “deserves to be seen” despite the controversy surrounding the director’s 1999 rape trial and acquittal, critics say.

The movie, opening Friday, has a “fresh” rating of 77 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and is getting hailed by critics for the “strength of the story, the themes, or the acting,” along with Parker’s performance starring in the film as well as writing and directing the drama.

“While the attention given Parker’s college sexual assault charge (of which a jury cleared him), and his controversial responses to it, are likely to continue coloring discussions of the movie’s merits, it should be noted that ‘Birth’ is an imperfect but laudable debut for a first-time filmmaker,” wrote TheWrap’s film critic Robert Abele.

Starring Gabrielle Union, Aja Naomi King, Armie Hammer and Penelope Ann Miller, this weekend’s opening of the Sundance darling is shadowed by a rape case Parker became embroiled in at Penn State nearly two decades ago that saw him acquitted on charges from a now-deceased accuser.

See 9 of the most raving reviews below.

James Berardinelli, Reel Views:
“‘The Birth of a Nation’ is harrowing, compelling cinema – perhaps not as wrenching as ’12 Years a Slave’ but not far removed. Although off-screen revelations about an event from Parker’s past may limit the movie’s awards expectations, they change nothing about the strength of the story, the themes, or the acting. The film stands tall on its own merits and deserves to be seen irrespective of the perceived failings of its author.”

Kyle Smith, New York Post:
“‘The Birth of a Nation,’ titled with an ironic act of cinematic jiujitsu that recalls the 1915 white-supremacist blockbuster of the same name, is a marvel of controlled fury by Nate Parker, who stars as Turner and also produced, wrote and directed this necessary and powerful film about a revolt by slaves against an evil white power structure. Both broader and deeper than the relentless and monotonous ’12 Years a Slave,’ it’s one of the few important movies to hit cinemas this year.”

Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle:
“There are images, however, in ‘The Birth of a Nation’ that are so potent, disturbing, and visually precise that they will be seared into my memory for life. That’s no small accomplishment.”

Leah Greenblatt, Entertainment Weekly:
“Even as ‘Birth’ stumbles in its more overwrought moments, it’s almost impossible not to be moved by what he’s made: a flawed but powerfully affecting film by a flawed but undeniably gifted filmmaker.”

Chris Vognar, Dallas Morning News:
“Writer-director Nate Parker backs up this bold provocation with a measured but devastating movie that haunts the imagination and conscience. But ‘Birth’ is also, in its own unblinking way, a deeply spiritual film that takes the malleability of spirituality as its primary theme.”

A.O. Scott, New York Times:
“He has attempted something grand and accomplished something real. The movie, uneven as it is, has terrific momentum and passages of concentrated visual beauty. The acting is strong even when the script wanders into thickets of rhetoric and mystification. And despite its efforts to simplify and italicize the story, it’s admirably difficult, raising thorny questions about ends and means, justice and mercy, and the legacy of racism that lies at the root of our national identity. There is still a lot of reckoning to be done. ‘Birth’ is a messy business. And so is what comes after.”

Mike LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle:
“If you see ‘The Birth of a Nation,’ do give some thought afterward to what it might have been, an action drama in which the villains got the wrong guy angry. This is something much more sophisticated, a two-hour walk in a slave’s shoes. It takes a condition that we have all thought about historically, politically and even dramatically and makes us actually feel it and live it. That’s a serious achievement.”

Dann Gire, Chicago Daily Herald:
“Parker’s project would be impressive enough as a first feature, but him being its co-writer, producer, director and star pushes it into an amazing achievement.”

Josh Lasser, IGN:
“With ‘The Birth of a Nation,’ Nate Parker has shown himself to be a confident, extraordinary filmmaker. He not only gets good performances from his cast, but has created a film that seems sure of itself, one that knows when to lean into depicting hatred, when to lean into depicting love, and when to cut away; when the look on a face is more important than the blood on a back and when it isn’t. Although not an easy movie to watch, it is a powerful one, and well worth the emotional investment it asks of its audience.”

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Agreed but after reading in here that this film only cost $10M to make it all makes sense. Fight scenes are expensive. Didn't Game of thrones just spend $10M on the Battle of the b*stards alone?

I feel you breh

But i'm not just speaking on the battle scene

They could've spent more time on the night leading up to the battle

I expected the white folks who acted extra ignorant in the movie to get some special attention when the revolt started

But it never happened

Even the slave catcher dude that played the biggest piece of shyt in the film went out in a semi honorable manner IMO