The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
The motivation for the "uncovering" of his past is questionable....but at the same time, if he did everything he's accused of doing, it's worth calling him out for.

I generally don't have a hard time separating the artist from the art, but even given that I'm not sure how to feel about this whole thing. It's all so gross, from any angle.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Watching this shyt show like...

YoiaJAJV8zVzq.gif
:dwillhuh: Why do you care? I've never seen you in The Film Room before, so obviously you're just here to troll.

This bytch is literally celebrating about this. She is literally the stereotypical Black Feminist, that nikkas tell you to avoid.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
:dwillhuh: Why do you care? I've never seen you in The Film Room before, so obviously you're just here to troll.

TELL 'EM WHY YOU MAD, SON!!!!

It's all so gross, from any angle.
I truly wanted to give breh the benefit of the doubt. White chick, black dude...you'll ALWAYS get a side-eye from me on that.

But then I read the trial docs...yeah, he raped that girl. And then harassed and stalked the shyt out of her until she dropped out of school. And then went on to blame her for it, saying that she put herself in that situation. And then co-wrote a film with his rapist bestie (who DID serve time). And then - because he is the height of an arrogant fukk - not only STARRED in the damn thing, but threw in a rape scene for the sheer goddamned hell of it. Y'know, if I went on trial for rape, I probably would steer clear of making up rape narratives.

What makes me laugh is when these ashies swear that this is a plan by the white man to tear a brotha down and blah blah blah. Uh...you mean those white men who make up the vast majority of the writers and directors? Or the white people who offered up $17.5m? Or the OTHER people from Netflix who offered $20m? fukk outta here with that bytchmade (n)ignorance.

Last edited:

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
I guarantee none of the Black people making this their life's cause batted an eye when all those X-men movies kept getting made. they probably were there opening weekend for all of them even tho they were all directed by an alleged child molester. or they still step in the name of love at their parties to R. Kelly.

they are going after Parker with such vigor because they thought the victim was a Black woman at 1st. and because of Nate's comment about never playing a gay man in a movie.

it might be one thing if Parker was some degenerate who isn't doing anything good with his life. he's telling stories of Black freedom fighters that NEED to be told. he's helping young Black kids who want to create movies with his foundation. THAT matters...we need Black film makers, producers, etc. "boycotting" the movie will do nothing but ensure these types of movies don't get made anymore.

twitter is the gift and the curse. and the mob mentality of the "woke" is real. they want Parker crucified yet fawn at the sight of Pres Obama even as he drops bombs on people across the sea? as he has a bullshyt town hall which only served as a platform for Daddy Obama to scold his little Black children on national tv while honoring cops.

the truth I've come to learn is we all will forgive what we want from certain people and from others we won't.
some of us tho, won't ever admit that.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
they are going after Parker with such vigor because they thought the victim was a Black woman at 1st. and because of Nate's comment about never playing a gay man in a movie.
I haven't seen any of them say that, but I'm starting to think this might be the case. As much as I hear & see how White feminists don't support Black Women and how much Black Feminists hate White Women & want to replace them, it don't make no damn sense for them to be caping this hard for a WW .

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside
Damn Black People couldn't even get through a Nat Turner biopic.

Lmao... nikkas are a joke.

I'm officially done. I'm still going to have racial pride. I'm still going to be into my books heavy. But I'm separating myself on a spiritual level from blacks. They r fukking clowns. Couldn't even unite for Nat Turner.

We couldn't come together to see a Nat Turner film!?

I'm gonna say this again, WE CANT EVEN COME TOGETHER TO SEE A NAT TURNER FILM!!!!!!!!!!!!???????!

Blacks So easily distracted and parrot everything white people say or deem acceptable. Meanwhile the man doesn't follow the guidelines of his own morality. We live in hell, while they have heaven on earth. IT WILL NEVER CHANGE.

This generation of SJW, Feminist, Whiteloving, it's okay to say nikka, Bed Wenching, Bed Bucking, Phony Hotep, Fake Gangsta, Image Obsessed, Non Reading, Non elder respecting, c00ning, Blind, hashtag activist, coward negros are the nail in the coffin for black folks. It's over... We are eternally sleep. And I've chosen to just be numb to it. Not even going to let it bother me anymore.
These people don't represent me or my interest as a black man. I'm not gonna even

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I'm officially done. I'm still going to have racial pride. I'm still going to be into my books heavy. But I'm separating myself on a spiritual level from blacks. They r fukking clowns. Couldn't even unite for Nat Turner.

I'm gonna say this again, WE CANT EVEN COME TOGETHER TO SEE A NAT TURNER FILM!!!!!!!!!!!!???????!

Blacks So easily distracted and parrot everything white people say or deem acceptable. Meanwhile the man doesn't follow the guidelines of his own morality. We live in hell, while they have heaven on earth. IT WILL NEVER CHANGE.

This generation of SJW, Feminist, Whiteloving, it's okay to say nikka, Bed Wenching, Bed Bucking, Phony Hotep, Fake Gangsta, Image Obsessed, Non Reading, Non elder respecting, c00ning, Blind, hashtag activist, coward negros are the nail in the coffin for black folks. It's over... We are eternally sleep. And I've chosen to just be numb to it. Not even going to let it bother me anymore.
These people don't represent me or my interest as a black man. I'm not gonna even

You ain't lying about this.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
I am going to keep it 100, through the history of time black brehs allegedly raping or even being accused of raping white women will get tons of publicity.

He had to have known this was coming.
He probably thought "black media/social" media folks hold him down but time is changing

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
TELL 'EM WHY YOU MAD, SON!!!!

I truly wanted to give breh the benefit of the doubt. White chick, black dude...you'll ALWAYS get a side-eye from me on that.

But then I read the trial docs...yeah, he raped that girl. And then harassed and stalked the shyt out of her until she dropped out of school. And then went on to blame her for it, saying that she put herself in that situation. And then co-wrote a film with his rapist bestie (who DID serve time). And then - because he is the height of an arrogant fukk - not only STARRED in the damn thing, but threw in a rape scene for the sheer goddamned hell of it. Y'know, if I went on trial for rape, I probably would steer clear of making up rape narratives.

What makes me laugh is when these ashies swear that this is a plan by the white man to tear a brotha down and blah blah blah. Uh...you mean those white men who make up the vast majority of the writers and directors? Or the white people who offered up $17.5m? Or the OTHER people from Netflix who offered $20m? fukk outta here with that bytchmade (n)ignorance.

Are you boycotting all of the other white men who have sexually abused, raped, molested and battered women as well. I'd love to know what your last movie viewed was. And yeah, you're trolling. You really think its a coincidence this brother has been in Hollywood for over a decade and this is the first time this mess is coming out? Seriously?

I guarantee none of the Black people making this their life's cause batted an eye when all those X-men movies kept getting made. they probably were there opening weekend for all of them even tho they were all directed by an alleged child molester. or they still step in the name of love at their parties to R. Kelly.

it might be one thing if Parker was some degenerate who isn't doing anything good with his life. he's telling stories of Black freedom fighters that NEED to be told. he's helping young Black kids who want to create movies with his foundation. THAT matters...we need Black film makers, producers, etc. "boycotting" the movie will do nothing but ensure these types of movies don't get made anymore.

twitter is the gift and the curse. and the mob mentality of the "woke" is real. they want Parker crucified yet fawn at the sight of Pres Obama even as he drops bombs on people across the sea? as he has a bullshyt town hall which only served as a platform for Daddy Obama to scold his little Black children on national tv while honoring cops.

the truth I've come to learn is we all will forgive what we want from certain people and from others we won't.

Yes, and who gets crucified is always political. Hollywood is a dirty, dirty town, and it's so convenient how some bad press is viewed when the perpetrator is white vs. when they are black. There are literally rapists and child molesters producing, directing, and winning awards for blockbusters and I never see black Twitter go after these guys.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Are you boycotting all of the other white men who have sexually abused, raped, molested and battered women as well.

I do my absolute best to. If there's a list of people I need to avoid, share it.

I'd love to know what your last movie viewed was.

Roots.

And yeah, you're trolling.

What you are going to do about it? Cry?

He probably thought "black media/social" media folks hold him down but time is changing

Some article (Variety?) mentioned how disappointed he is that he's not getting more support from the black community. First of al...LOL. Second, you know who else said that, almost verbatim? Bill Cosby. Oh, wait...that's right. A bunch of white women lied about him, too. Dwight Mayne always tryna keep a brotha down.

(I will say this, though: I truly believe that the criticism from black people would be far more tempered if his wife was black. I think he'd receive more of the benefit of the doubt from us as a whole.)

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon

Its strategy. The thing about nate case is nothing new if those indie black sites knew years ago im sure those cacs did too. Its strategy, how you presented and when. First the black site cameout with "look at nate parker white wife getting they swirl on" which started it all by having him trending , with black females , homosexuals and male feminist shyting on him and his wife (they did same thing with ghost from Power afew years ago) Now a few white known sites and alot "black media" re push the rape case from 17 years ago back to the public when everybody is watching ....this time it pick up steam and trending. Soon later The Variety Nate parker interview came out to address the case

Same thing happen to Cosby with that non funny Hannibal dude. With Obama alot black people don't give a fuk because most dont care about politics ....the way we go about those things its like one big popularity contest. If black people really look at Obama administration and how he just turn his back on Chicago it would make them sick but they wont ....dude been bombing Africa and asian nations

Last edited:

doublex

Pro
Daps

Doing the absolute most with this post.

Anyway, I was originally excited that this movie would shine a spotlight on Nat Turner and, in general, Black rebellion against white supremacy. But now the spotlight is firmly on Parker and Celestin's history, not Black history. So it's already been undermined beyond repair.

Hopefully somebody else will tackle this story someday.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Doing the absolute most with this post.

Anyway, I was originally excited that this movie would shine a spotlight on Nat Turner and, in general, Black rebellion against white supremacy. But now the spotlight is firmly on Parker and Celestin's history, not Black history. So it's already been undermined beyond repair.

Hopefully somebody else will tackle this story someday.

The bold will be true only if it turns out that the movie sucks and/or it doesn't do well in the box office. The movie has been getting good to great reviews, so we already know that, at the least, it isn't trash.

If there's one unintended consequence of the film, its that EVERYONE knows about the movie now, including the casuals. Those that still support Nate Parker will see it. A lot of those who are on the fence will see it. A notable contingent of people who disprove of Nate's actions will see it. Those that feel that Nat Turner's story is too important to pass up, regardless of their stance on the issue, will see.

Then on top of all that, A LOT of casuals, who are very likely indifferent about the whole thing, will watch for various reasons:

-The movie got good reviews
-They heard about it either via marketing or the recent controversy.
-Curiosity.
-The movie being about Nat Turner.

In short, barring some crazy shyt happening in the next few weeks, the movie will drop in October and it will the movie that will be the focus. It probably won't win or be nominated for any major awards due to everything that went down recently, but it most likely will make a lot of money and will be a movie many will remember for a while, for various reasons.

Honestly, the biggest and most important things Nate Parker had going for him in this entire situation is that he was acquitted of all charges, the case happened 17 years ago, and he seemingly hasn't been in trouble since. These are the three main things the majority of the audience will look at as far as he is concerned.

It would've been a whoooolllle different story if--regardless of whether or not he did it--he ended up being convicted of a charge, even if it got overtuned like with Celestin.

Last edited:

doublex

Pro
Daps
The bold will be true only if it turns out that the movie sucks and/or it doesn't do well in the box office. The movie has been getting good to great reviews, so we already know that, at the least, it isn't trash.

If there's one unintended consequence of the film, its that EVERYONE knows about the movie now, including the casuals. Those that still support Nate Parker will see it. A lot of those who are on the fence will see it. A notable contingent of people who disprove of Nate's actions will see it. Those that feel that Nat Turner's story is too important to pass up, regardless of their stance on the issue, will see.

Then on top of all that, A LOT of casuals, who are very likely indifferent about the whole thing, will watch for various reasons:

-The movie got good reviews
-They heard about it either via marketing or the recent controversy.
-Curiosity.
-The movie being about Nat Turner.

In short, barring some crazy shyt happening in the next few weeks, the movie will drop in October and it will the movie that will be the focus. It probably won't win or be nominated for any major awards due to everything that went down recently, but it most likely will make a lot of money and will be a movie many will remember for a while, for various reasons.

Honestly, the biggest and most important things Nate Parker had going for him in this entire situation is that he was acquitted of all charges, the case happened 17 years ago, and he seemingly hasn't been in trouble since. These are the three main things the majority of the audience will look at as far as he is concerned.

It would've been a whoooolllle different story if--regardless of whether or not he did it--he ended up being convicted of a charge, even if it got overtuned like with Celestin.

I don't mean "undermined" in the sense that the film won't make a profit (although prestige pictures like these usually don't impress at the box office; they're targeted more towards awards season). I mean "undermined" because, due to this controversy sucking up all the attention, it might as well be a Nate Parker biopic for all the attention Nat Turner's story is getting.

They're trying to take measures to turn the attention away from Parker now by doing things like avoiding a press conference at TIFF, but I don't see them ever successfully getting the media's focus fully off of salacious-rape-controversy story and back into celebrating-historical-film mode.

‘Birth of a Nation:’ No Press Conference for Nate Parker in Toronto