The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Ok hold on someone explain this shyt what did I do as a straight man??
I'm assuming he is talking about any black dudes who are not jumping on the "shyt on Nate Parker" bandwagon.
I am just confused about one thing...the alleged victim is a white chick so where does the racial aspect of this come in among black people? Or is homeboy implying that the racial hierarchy in America has seen a shake-up in the rankings and black men are now above white women in terms of privilege?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

The president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has weighed in on the controversy engulfing the upcoming historical drama The Birth of a Nation and its star and director Nate Parker since details recently re-emerged about a 17-year-old rape case against the actor and filmmaker.

In a video interview with TMZ on Thursday,academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs said moviegoers should see Parker’s film and make up their own minds about it.

“With the issue of the movie, the important thing is for people to see it, and enjoy the film, be impressed by the film,” she said. “I think that is what is very important. People need to see this movie.”

Boone Isaacs indicated she has not yet seen Birth of a Nation, which dramatizes Nat Turner’s 1831 slave rebellion. But, she said, “I know just by the conversation that has gone on since Sundance that it’s clearly a movie that filmgoers should go and see. … My belief is that people need to see the movie and judge the movie.”

Boone Isaacs declined to comment on the allegations against Parker, of which he was acquitted in a 2001 trial. “That’s one issue, that’s his personal issue,” she said.

Representatives for the academy did not immediately provide further comment to EW.

The Birth of a Nation had been widely regarded as a serious Oscar contender since it made a splash at the Sundance Film Festival in January, winning the Grand Jury Prize and the Audience Award and selling for $17.5 million, a festival record, to Fox Searchlight. In recent weeks, however, Parker has faced renewed scrutiny over his past, clouding the film’s future.

In 1999, Parker and Penn State roommate Jean Celestin (who co-wrote Birth of a Nation) were charged with raping a fellow student while she was unconscious after a night of drinking. Parker was acquitted, while Celestin was convicted but appealed the verdict and was granted a new trial. The case was never retried because the accuser opted not to testify again. Variety reported earlier this month that she took her own life in 2012.

Parker has maintained his innocence in the matter and addressed the woman’s death in a lengthy Facebook post, expressing “profound sorrow.”

Earlier this week, the American Film Institute postponed a planned screening of the film and a Q&A with Parker. The Toronto International Film Festival is moving forward with plans to screenBirth of a Nation next month, and Fox Searchlight will release the film in theaters nationwide Oct. 7.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
look how they view nate
7:27

@satam55

Why was the one guy talking about the rape case like it was some recent thing that still needed to be tried in court?:what:

:francis:I usually fukks with Complex/Collider, but I'm not interested in what they have to say about "Birth of a Nation" and Nate Parker after they put this Think Piece out last week:

:scust:This is why folks keep white-owned Black/Urban/Hip-Hop media at Arm's Length.

I don't need to watch that video clip. I still remember how the White mainstream media went at Jameis Winston during his last season at FSU-till the NFL Draft & how they went at Floyd Mayweather going into the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. I'm good.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Nate Parker opened up about the controversy surrounding the rape trail he faced in college during a panel in Los Angeles Friday night.

Speaking for the first time about his 1999 rape allegation since it resurfaced — previously, he had only posted a statement on Facebook — the writer-director-star turned talk to his younger self and male culture during a screening for his film, Birth of a Nation, at the Merge Summit.

After the culmination of the historical biopic, which tells the story of Nat Turner's failed slave rebellion, Parker was asked why he chose to make, "yet another slave film" and said it was "difficult to talk about injustice and not deal with what’s happening right now," referencing the current firestorm around him.

In 1999, the filmmaker, and Jean Celestin, who shares a story-by credit on Birth with Parker, were accused of raping a female student while at Penn State University. Parker was acquitted of the charges. Celestin was originally found guilty, but the conviction was later overturned.

While promoting Birth, Parker addressed the allegations in interviews and it was subsequently revealed that the woman who accused the two men committed suicide in 2012 at the age of 30.

“When I was first met with the news that this part of my past had come up, my knee-jerk reaction was selfish," said Parker during the Q&A, according to Ebony, who also spoke with the filmmaker after the panel. "I wasn’t thinking about even the potential hurt of others; I was thinking about myself.”

Speaking about male privilege, Parker, now 36, admitted: "I never thought about it. I’m walking around daring someone to say something or do something that I define is racist or holding us back, but never really thinking about male culture and the destructive effect it’s having on our community."

This was the first Birth event that Parker has attended since the controversy began. While the American Film Institute's Conservatory called off a screening and Q&A with Parker, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences president Cheryl Boone Isaacs stood by the movie, encouraging people to see it and judge the film, not Parker.

Birth, which premiered in January at the Sundance Film Festival and was immediately picked up by Fox Searchlight, will play at the Toronto Film Festival in early September before hitting theaters in October.

According to a video posted on social media from Friday's event, Parker offered an apology to women over his past behaviors and called his younger self a "dog."

"The way I treated women, objectified women," he said. "My manhood was defined by how many women I could be with. I was a dog. I was wrong. I hurt a lot of women. And that was normal for me, in respect to how I treated them emotionally. I was introduced to sex in a certain way."

He continued about his adolescence: "That type of male culture, that type of hypermasculinity where your manhood is determined by how many women you get to say 'Yes' is destructive."

Speaking in a lengthy interview with Ebony afterwards, Parker admitted: "I never thought about consent as a definition, especially as I do now."

"Put it this way: when you’re 19, a threesome is normal. It’s fun," he said. "When you’re 19, getting a girl to say yes, or being a dog, or being a player, cheating. Consent is all about — for me, back then — if you can get a girl to say 'yes,' you win."

He admitted that he couldn't remember ever having a conversation about consent when he was younger.

"Back then, it felt like: at 19, if a woman said 'no,' no meant no," he said. "If she didn’t say anything and she was open, and she was down, it was like how far can I go? ... It was simply if a woman said no or pushed you away that was non-consent."

He added that now, at age 36, "I’m learning about definitions that I should have known when I started having sex."

Parker also admitted that he hadn't thought about the incident "at all," prompting the interviewer to add: "That’s going to come off very…privileged."

And he agreed.

"Listen to me when I say I’m understanding that I’m dealing with a problem, like an addiction," he said. "I’m a work in progress. I’m trying to be better. I feel remorse for all the women that are survivors that felt I was being insensitive because I was. And I want to have a better understanding of how I can be more of an ally, if they’ll accept me. There will be people who won’t accept me, and that’s okay. All I can do is say that I stand for justice and really learn more about this issue so I can be a better ally of this issue."

The entertainment industry began to weigh in on social media as the interview made the rounds on Saturday, promping reactions from Roxanne Gay, who wrote an op-ed for the New York Times about how she won't see the film last week, MTV News correspondent Jamil Smith and others.

See the reactions below and read Ebony's full interview with Parker here.

:dead: They really got this nikka pushing White Liberal talking points & using White Libreal terms, that you only see people (Mostly Feminists & LGBTs) use on Social Media.

Last edited:

doublex

Pro
Daps

:dead: They really got this nikka pushing White Liberal talking points & using White Libreal terms, that you only see people (Mostly Feminists & LGBTs) use on Social Media.

He is not helping himself with these interviews.

People who think he's a rapist are not going to get over it no matter how apologetic he seems.

And people who don't think he's a rapist are going to start to wonder if his apologies are an admission of guilt.

Either way, he needs to stop giving interviews and just fall back.

If he really wants to "seek the information that’ll make me stronger, that’ll help me overcome my toxic masculinity, my male privilege", then he should really wait until after the movie's left theaters to talk to the press about it.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

Ehhhhh, I think it was surprisingly balanced on his part. A good move too, as it might help those on the fence about watching the film lean towards doing so.

At this point, those that still have a problem with Nate...well, that's on them :yeshrug:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Ehhhhh, I think it was surprisingly balanced on his part. A good move too, as it might help those on the fence about watching the film lean towards doing so.

At this point, those that still have a problem with Nate...well, that's on them :yeshrug:
I agree, I guess. But what was wrong with the statement he put out on Facebook a week or 2 ago? I thought that was fine when I finally heard it on Roland Martin's show. I guess these Black feminists/LGBTs just wanted him to bow down to them.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I agree, I guess. But what was wrong with the statement he put out on Facebook a week or 2 ago? I thought that was fine when I finally heard it on Roland Martin's show. I guess these Black feminists/LGBTs just wanted him to bow down to them.

I personally didn't have much of a problem with his FB post. It seemed genuine to me.

That said, in this interview, he tackled a lot of the critics' questions head on and gave his perspective of the matter in a mature way, while simultaneously--and subtly--insisting that he was innocent. He even managed to bypass the legal aspect of the situation--which a lot of his hardcore detractors want him to touch on, to his detriment--and focused on the moral aspect of it instead, which is important.

Reasonable detractors may not agree with everything he said, but they'll appreciate the fact that he addressed a notable amount of their questions in an "off the cuff" manner.

The zealots will still hate and believe he's guilty, but as I said before, that's on them.:manny: