Essential The Big Thread of Black Excellence

Lord Scion

Quality Games
Supporter
Daps
You got white people getting mad about Django, you think They'd have the OG cracker killer have his own movie?

Especially with Dessalines who served under him. Dude had nikkas rip open pregnant white women, put their babies on a pike and parade them down the streets of Port-au-Prince.

Read up on the Haitian invasion of Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) also. They found out there was still a French presence there, so they burned entire towns down. Rounded up little white children in school houses and slit their throats.

Hollywood definitely ain't putting that in no movie.

Patriarch

#straightblackpride
Daps
tumblr_md8ap83wNa1qgb91fo1_r2_400.jpg

Benjamin Banneker

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
797px-Guion_Bluford_-_1978.jpg

guionb.jpg

Guion Bluford (1st Black Astronaut in Space)

:obama:

Alvin Drew (The last black person aboard the space shuttle before it was decommissioned).

MmNZb.jpg

Fjekg.jpg

One thing that bothers me...we actually have a nice little history of black astronauts, and I fear that the switch towards privatized space flight is pretty much going to kill that. Can you imagine a Donald Trump type mutha fukka giving a black the keys to his vehicle? Say what you want about NASA, at least they gave some opportunities.

Imagine if some Black African countries got into this....:wow:

This is kinda a funny story, but I remember back in highschool, some cac was trying to give me a (pretty backhanded) compliment on my intelligence (On some, "wow, you're smart for a negro" type shyt). He told me that I could be the first black dude in space, sorta half joking or whatever, but I hit him with the :childplease: KNOW OUR HISTORY....:pacspit:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
mark_dean_citizen.gif
markdean.jpg

Mark_Dean__Stanford_University_News_Archive_.jpg

Mark Dean - Computer Scientist (Lead a team that created the 1st one-gigahertz computer processor chip)

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
md_450t14_0806302812__20cito_gaston.jpg

Cito Gatson (1st Black Manager to win a World Series

bill-russell-wearing-rings.jpg

Bill Rusell (1st Black Head Coach to win a NBA championship

Coach_Stringer2.jpg

C. Vivian Stringer (1st Black female Head Coach to win a NCAA championship)

tony_dungy.jpg

Tony Dungy (1st Black NFL Head Coach to win a Superbowl

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
William Kamkwamba - 25 year old Malawian inventor:

467f625e15313333383838383138353538353231.jpg

William Kamkwamba: How I harnessed the wind | Video on TED.com

William Kamkwamba, from Malawi, is a born inventor. When he was 14, he built an electricity-producing windmill from spare parts and scrap, working from rough plans he found in a library book called Using Energy and modifying them to fit his needs. The windmill he built powers four lights and two radios in his family home.

After reading about Kamkwamba on Mike McKay's blog Hactivate (which picked up the story from a local Malawi newspaper), TEDGlobal Conference Director Emeka Okafor spent several weeks tracking him down at his home in Masitala Village, Wimbe, and invited him to attend TEDGlobal on a fellowship. Onstage, Kamkwamba talked about his invention and shared his dreams: to build a larger windmill to help with irrigation for his entire village, and to go back to school.

Following Kamkwamba's moving talk, there was an outpouring of support for him and his promising work. Members of the TED community got together to help him improve his power system (by incorporating solar energy), and further his education through school and mentorships. Subsequent projects have included clean water, malaria prevention, solar power and lighting for the six homes in his family compound; a deep-water well with a solar-powered pump for clean water; and a drip irrigation system. Kamkwamba himself returned to school, and is now attending the African Leadership Academy, a new pan-African prep school outside Johannesburg, South Africa.

Kamkwamba's story is documented in his autobiography, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope. A short documentary about Kamkwamba, called Moving Windmills, won several awards last year; Kamkwamba and friends are now working on a full-length film. You can read the ongoing details on his blog (which he keeps with help from his mentor), and support his work and other young inventors at MovingWindmills.org.

Last edited by a moderator: