Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

Daps
Yeah, planning to spend my birthday there. Thinking August 27 to September 5.

Great. Nairobi is quite nice. Downtown is beautiful and the rich suburb areas on the outskirts of the city aren't half bad. Once you move away from Nairobi, it gets patchy though. That's when you start getting the real 'African' experience. I haven't been there in a cool ass minute though, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Is it a business trip or a pleasure trip? Have you ever been to Kenya (or even the African continent) before?

When you go you should update us with pics and stories man.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Great. Nairobi is quite nice. Downtown is beautiful and the rich suburb areas on the outskirts of the city aren't half bad. Once you move away from Nairobi, it gets patchy though. That's when you start getting the real 'African' experience. I haven't been there in a cool ass minute though, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Is it a business trip or a pleasure trip? Have you ever been to Kenya (or even the African continent) before?

When you go you should update us with pics and stories man.

I grew up in NYC breh, I'm keeping my ass in the city :mjpls:

But this will be my first trip to Africa. I'm picking Nairobi because it's tech sector is supposed to be pretty large. I'm going for vacation, but while I'm there I'm going to try to make some business connects. I want to find some good investments, look at how much property cost, and get some first hand info on what it would take to start a business there.

Ultimately, I'm planning to repatriate back to Africa, ideally before I'm 40 (I'm 32 right now, but I'm low key aiming for 35). My girl is already down to move out of the US.

Daps
I grew up in NYC breh, I'm keeping my ass in the city :mjpls:

But this will be my first trip to Africa. I'm picking Nairobi because it's tech sector is supposed to be pretty large. I'm going for vacation, but while I'm there I'm going to try to make some business connects. I want to find some good investments, look at how much property cost, and get some first hand info on what it would take to start a business there.

Ultimately, I'm planning to repatriate back to Africa, ideally before I'm 40 (I'm 32 right now, but I'm low key aiming for 35). My girl is already down to move out of the US.

A lot of my family are working in the tech sector. So if you are over there and need hookups let me know.

richmondGeek

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Richmond, Cali
You guys should peep the doucmentaries; The African Side & Blacks Without Borders. They go deep into showcasing the industrial parts of Africa and African Americans starting businesses in Africa.

//Also need a thread about The Europe the media doesn't tell you about, in some European countries there are kids walking around naked rummaging through trash.

richmondGeek

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Richmond, Cali

richmondGeek

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Richmond, Cali

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
NIGERIAN FISHERMEN REJECT SHELL'S $50 MILLION
By MICHELLE FAUL
— Jun. 20, 2014 6:03 PM EDT

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — Thousands of Nigerian fishermen have rejected an offer of $50 million from Royal Dutch Shell for "some of the largest oil spills in history," their British lawyers said Friday after winning a landmark court ruling.

Shell already accepts responsibility for paying compensation and cleaning up spills caused by its own failures. But the London High Court decided that Shell can be held legally liable for spills caused by oil thefts, if it fails to provide reasonable protection for its pipeline infrastructure.

The court case involves one of Nigeria's worst environmental disasters. Amnesty International called it "a shot across the bows for Shell" and said the ruling "paves the way for Shell to finally be held accountable for devastating oil pollution in the Niger Delta."

Shell played down the judgment, saying in a statement that it was favorable in limiting litigation to "an assessment of actual damages sustained" in spills.

The oil company, Nigeria's biggest petroleum producer, claimed that the court found Nigerian law "does not hold pipeline operators responsible for damage caused by oil theft."

But Judge Robert Akenhead of the London Technological and Construction Court ruled Shell is responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect its infrastructure, including installing leak detection systems, surveillance equipment and anti-tamper equipment. Shell does not have such equipment in its Nigerian fields, though they are considered mandatory in oilfields in the developed world.

It is the first time Shell has had its environmental record in Nigeria on trial by a British court. The thousands of compensation cases in often corrupt Nigerian courts drag on for years and often end with victims being paid a pittance. Until now, Shell has paid compensation only for spills caused by equipment failure.

Oil thefts in Nigeria have reached an industrial scale, with some $35 million worth stolen daily, according to figures this week from the country's national conference.

Shell has a woeful record of cleaning up spills in Nigeria. It has yet to clean up the 2008 and 2009 spills that triggered the court case, saying the Bodo community has refused to give it access.

Mutiu Sunmonu, managing director of Shell Nigeria, said the company has accepted responsibility for the "deeply regrettable" spills and urged the fishermen to accept Shell's "sensible and fair compensation offers."

Martyn Day of London law firm Leigh Day said Shell's offer of 30 million pounds (more than $50 million) amounted to about 1,000 pounds ($1,700) for each of 30,000 people who lost their livelihoods. He called it laughable.

Bodo Creek is one of Nigeria's worst environmental disasters, with some experts saying it caused the largest loss of mangrove habitat ever caused by an oil spill.

Shell documents say the leak started Oct. 5, 2008 and a total of 1,640 barrels of oil was spilled. Government and community documents say the leak started Aug. 28, and industry experts estimate up to 4,320 barrels of oil was flooding Bodo each day for at least 72 days.

Amnesty International has accused Shell of manipulating oil spill investigations and wrongly reporting the cause and volume of oil spills devastating the Niger Delta, and of making false claims about cleanup measures.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nigerian-fishermen-reject-shells-50-million

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Nigeria, Iran to partner in provision of affordable houses
Premium Times
Published: June 20,2014
Akon-Eyakenyi1.jpg

Nigeria’s minister of housing says 17 million Nigerians do not have homes.

—————————–

The Minister of Housing, Lands and Urban Development, Akon Eyakenyi, on Friday said Nigeria is willing to partner with Iran in the provision of affordable houses in the country.

The minister made the disclosure when she received an Iranian delegation led by its Minister of Industry, Mines and Trade, Mohammad Nematzadeh.

Ms. Eyakenyi said Nigeria’s large population results in housing challenges.

She said the 17 million Nigerians do not have houses.

“We have realised that it is not possible that government alone can provide the housing needs of Nigerians.

“To cover that huge gap, it is our responsibility to look elsewhere to see how we can draw partners from outside the government to intervene in this sector,” she said.

She said the transformation agenda of President Goodluck Jonathan is committed to addressing the challenges in the sector.

The minister added that government had provided the lead way, by providing an enabling environment for other countries to invest in the sector.

“We have the land, which we can provide and we also ensure conducive environment for investors.

“We also ensure that there are off-takers to pick up the housing units when completed, while our developers and partners provide the funding.’’

The minister said the partnership would ensure that prospective investors do not only provide funds but timely completion of the housing projects.

The Federal Government, she added, had funded various housing initiatives aimed at providing affordable housing for citizens. She listed some efforts made by government as the ministerial pilot scheme and prototype housing scheme.

She stressed the need for investors to use technologies that would encourage affordability.

Earlier, the Iranian minister said the delegation’s visit to the ministry was to seek ways of investing in the housing sector in Nigeria.
(NAN)

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/163211-nigeria-iran-partner-provision-affordable-houses.html

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Even if they get the optimal black females... I need the lighter skin girls

No dark elbows man.. No dark knees