Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Meet the Togolese inventor who built a 3D printer from electronic waste

TOGO 11/14/2016

p5.jpg

This 3D printer was made out of electronic waste, including the body of an old scanner, which was salvaged from a landfill in Lomé. Photo: Afate Gnikou.

Afate Gnikou, a inventor from Togo, built a 3D printer using only electronic waste that he salvaged from landfill sites. His aim is to use his printer to improve the lives of his countrymen by “printing” objects such as medical prostheses.

woora.jpg

The France 24 Observers team first got in touch with Afate Gnikou, the man behind this 3D printer, in December 2013. Since then, Gnikou’s project has evolved considerably. Here’s the latest version of his 3D printer made entirely from electronic waste.

Afate Gnikou is a do-it-yourself kind of man. Trained as a geographer, he participated in a project to build the first 3D printer in Togo – a scheme run by WoeLab, a local tech incubator.

During our first interview with him, in December 2013, Gnikou explained the idea behind his own project to build a 3D printer out of electronic waste.

“Many second-hand computers are shipped from Europe to Ghana and Nigeria. These machines are dumped in large landfill sites that are very poorly regulated. It’s hard to say how many tonnes of electronic waste can be found in these sites, but it’s clear that more and more waste is building up as the years goes by.”

Gnikou wanted to do something to address this growing problem, so he challenged himself to make a 3D printer entirely out of electronic waste found in these landfill sites.

This video tells the surprising story of how Gnikou built his 3D printer.

Gnikou says:

“Since 2014, a lot of things have happened. We were awarded first place at Fab10 in Barcelona, an international event showcasing accessible technology developed in an international network of incubators. Unfortunately, this success didn’t bring us any new partners or opportunities.

p14.jpg

In 2014, Gnikou won a prize at FAB10 Barcelona, a meeting of international tech entrepreneurs and inventors. Unfortunately, he still hasn’t found a partner for his project.

Since then, I’ve been working diligently on a more powerful model. The first model was hard to transport because it was quite fragile. The new model is much more solid.

In the original model, I used the body of a computer system unit as the frame for the printer.

For the second model, I used the body of a scanner as well as plastic sheets that I recovered from old computer monitors. I also added lights so that the printer can be used at night or in dark places.

p3_2.jpg

afate_3.jpg

Our Observer has made a wide range of objects including cups and small-scale models of houses. In the future, he wants to focus on printing objects that are useful.

I want to move past the experimental phase and into something more concrete. I want to adapt the 3D printer to the Togolese – and, indeed, African – context and use it to respond to urgent local needs.

My dream is to use my printer to create medical prostheses. There are many people in my community living with disabilities. If I ask them why they don’t use medical prostheses, they smile at me and say “My friend, they are too expensive!”

Moreover, currently, all prostheses are imported into Togo. They are standardized, which means they aren’t adapted to an individual person’s needs. Often, doctors have to tinker with the prostheses to make them fit the patient.

With a 3D printer, we could create what we need and free our continent from its dependence on imports.”

afate2.jpg

Gnikou has already created knee prostheses built to fit individual patients. He hopes to soon be able to create more. These prostheses were created with the first Togolese 3D printer created by the WoeLab.

Gnikou estimates that he has used his 3D printers to create about 150 objects so far. The largest object he printed was a cup that was 16 cm wide and 12 cm tall. But his dreams are much bigger than that.

“I’m currently looking for a new start. I’m working on improving my printer in my workshop at my parents’ house. I’m looking for someone who could help me obtain a bigger workshop and more tools. I’d also like to find a financial partner who believes in the project.

I’m also looking for second-hand computers because I’d like to set up a space where I could train young people to build machines themselves. My goal would be to get them to the point where they are able to create objects that respond to concrete needs or help them in their daily lives.”

Would you like to help Gnikou? If so, email us at obstakeaction@france24.com and we’ll put you in touch with him!

ARTICLE WRITTEN WITH
alexandre-capron.jpg

Alexandre Capron ,Journaliste francophone
Twitter

Meet the Togolese inventor who built a 3D printer from electronic waste

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
ZIMBABWE LAWYERS TAKE PRESIDENT ROBERT MUGABE TO COURT OVER QUASI-CURRENCY
Zimbabwean lawyers are taking President Robert Mugabe to court for issuing a presidential decree permitting the introduction of a quasi-currency, which they say is an attempt to reintroduce the failed Zimbabwean dollar through “the back door.”

Mugabe invoked the Presidential Powers Act on October 31 to amend the law governing Zimbabwe’s central bank and allow for the introduction of bond notes, which the bank has described as a U.S. dollar equivalent.

The African country is suffering a crippling cash shortage and banks are limiting withdrawals to between $40 and $100 per day, according to Reuters. But while the government is attempting to sell bond notes as a solution to the crisis, critics fear they could herald another period of hyperinflation in Zimbabwe. In 2008, the Zimbabwean dollar suffered exponential inflation, so much so that a loaf of bread could cost 10 million Zimbabwean dollars and the central bank printed a 100 trillion dollar note.

Try Newsweek for only $1.25 per week

100-trillion-zimbabwean-dollar.jpg
A man holds up a 100 trillion Zimbabwean dollar note, Harare, Zimbawe, June 12, 2015. Some in Zimbabwe are concerned that the government's introduction of bond notes could herald a return to the failed Zimbabwean dollar.PHILIMON BULAWAYO/FILE PHOTO/REUTERS

Advocates from Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights (ZLHR) filed an application to the High Court Monday, asking for the court to overrule Mugabe’s decree.

One of the lawyers involved in the application, Dzimbabwe Chimbga, tells Newsweek that Mugabe’s use of presidential powers was “unconstitutional.” Chimbga says that the actcan only be invoked in an emergency, which he maintains is not the case, since the government has mooted the introduction of bond notes since April.

“The new [2013] constitution gives parliament the primary legislative authority and the president can only enforce laws that have been put across by parliament,” says Chimbga. “So what we object to is the president, who is a different arm of government, giving himself the powers to legislate.”

The Zimbabwean central bank said in September that it would start circulating the bond notes by the end of October and that it expected $75 million worth of the notes to be in use by the end of 2016. But the notes have still not been introduced, and Zimbabweans have been queuing for hours at banks to withdraw cash in advance of their circulation.

Following the hyperinflation period of 2007-08, Zimbabwe ditched its own currency and introduced a multi-currency basket. Nine currencies—including the Chinese yuan and South African rand—were legal tender as of February, CNN reported.

Chimbga says that the introduction of bond notes is a false start in dealing with Zimbabwe’s cash crisis. “The bond note is being equated to the U.S. dollar, but we know that the bond note does not have transferability,” he says. “In other words, you cannot take the bond notes to the bank and say, ‘Give me pounds.’ It’s only a ‘currency’ in Zimbabwe. In essence, it’s not actually money.”

Chimbga says that the application filed gives the government 10 days to respond. Newsweekemailed the Office of the President and Cabinet for a response, but received no timely reply.

Zimbabwe has seen widespread protests against Mugabe’s administration in 2016, including a stay-at-home protest organized by the #ThisFlag movement, headed up by Harare pastor Evan Mawarire.

Mugabe has been in power since Zimbabwe’s independence in 1980 and, at 92 years old, is the oldest serving head of state in Africa
http://www.newsweek.com/zimbabwe-la...obert-mugabe-court-over-quasi-currency-521833

:lupe:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

Akata Man Bromo

Still learning....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade/Broward
Brehs, any suggestions on what I should do in South Africa while Im there for two weeks? I'm not talking about tourist shyt (I'll be doing some of that) but I really want to try and get some sort of business or partnership going with the folks over there. I have no clue how to get started though. Me and my boys all have/make decent money and we wanna get some shyt poppin'.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Brehs, any suggestions on what I should do in South Africa while Im there for two weeks? I'm not talking about tourist shyt (I'll be doing some of that) but I really want to try and get some sort of business or partnership going with the folks over there. I have no clue how to get started though. Me and my boys all have/make decent money and we wanna get some shyt poppin'.
Start by networking and maybe identifying what type of business you can do

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
@Lucky_Lefty

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Fools. Kenyatta is a joke.
Tanzania had better tell Kenya to kick rocks.

In a time when their populations are increasing and they need to industrialize. Along with europe about to go full rightwing retard again...

nah that epa agreement shyt is stupid and no NO African country should have even been thinking about signing it.

The Kenyan government are some freaking SLAVES I tell you SLAVES. These people worship the West/Europe/America. I use to have high hopes for the EAC but it seems with Kenya and even Rwanda the country of Tanzania is better off on its own.

Luckily for now I am hearing many in high positions in Tanzanian are resisting this deal. Many agree that this deal would stagnant Tanzania's version for industrialization.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
well damn
nope, can't own land and can't own commercial property.....opening a business here dolo means you need to give at least 51% ownership to the national govt....just do like CAC do and get a black SA face for the illusion while you own it....if you'd like, I can get you the contact for commercial enterprise guys who can give you better & more in depth info