The 2018 Oscars: Get Out!

Full Measures

All Star
Daps
Say brehs who was the lady in the green dress that was doing the pre-award coverage for ABC??

brownsugah

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Congrats to Jordan Peele on his win. Get Out was a great movie. I think Betty Gabriel deserved a nomination for her role. She killed "Georgina".

I wish Mary would've won an award. It would been really sweet.

The cast of The Black Panther looked glorious on the red carpet as well.

That's all I got.

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hes not the only reason he, halle barry and vanessa williams types are labelled "black" is because some racist cac long ago deemed their white blood impure. The fact AAs are so desperate to see a winner that they claim all these poc with a 1/4 or 1/2 of black blood at best is pathetic..

Y'all give that supremacy too much power over you:hhh:
So much:snoop:in this

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
I feel you, but what did you find yourself pondering after you finished watching the movie? It was pretty straight forward and on the nose to me, which isn't a bad thing. 3 Billboards manages to make you dislike a mother seeking justice for her raped and murdered daughter:skip:I absolutely understand how a movie like The Shape of Water can feel like a welcome diversion from films like that, or a film about a narcissistic, controlling, demeaning fashion designer who falls in love with a woman because she poisons him, or an in depth study on race, or a gay and kind of pedo coming of age story. Nothing about Shape of Water leaves you feeling uncomfortable (as long as you don't focus too much on the bestiality angle:whoa:) and it ends on a positive uplifting note unlike the other movies nominated.

@FlyRy It might not be a popular opinion, but I would watch both Hellboys before I'd watch Shape of Water. I'm also very aware that my love for Pan's Labyrinth is probably making me hold SoW to a ridiculous standard:manny:

i didn't leave pondering to myself about the movie other than "did elisa live happily ever after? did she die? is she a sea creature as well?". i think highly of this movie because the shape of water gave me reassurance on my beliefs and displayed what i like in a movie: amazing cinematography, memorable and unique characters, an authentic story, social issues and messages, dark but still gorgeous, beautiful and delightful. get out does all of this too imo, but was my second choice for best picture because i just felt like the shape of water had more memorable characters and scenes.

if a film making you uncomfortable or having you rethink your belief is one way you judge it then the shape of water probably isn't gonna do it for you imo. it's a tragedy story that shows characters beating adversity.

i guess seeing the good hearted characters suffering or living marginalized should be uncomfortable. i know it was a little unsettling and stirred up some emotions for me:yeshrug:

Last edited:

dem bath salts

To be reckoned with
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broward
Happy Del Toro won. I love his conceptual ability to imagine these allegorical fairy tales. That said, The Shape of Water was good, not great to me.

Peele coming out with Best Original Screenplay was dope. Get Out deserved something, it had the most impact on pop culture than any of the other films.

didn't see many of this year's films, and don't really have the desire to see any of them except maybe I, Tonya.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
For me it’s weird he’s just been like fukk character. He’s almost doing the same thing Lucas did with the prequels in that he’s more engaged with the tools and mechanics of filmmaking rather than the people or emotions needed to connect the bigger parts. He’s all about process and timing and he’s great at that stuff. A Nolan movie always looks great. Always sounds great. It’ll always be perfect from a technical standpoint. But story and character seem to keep tripping him up. Or he just doesn’t give a shyt
I know exactly what Nolan wanted to do with Dunkirk. He wanted it to make it a harrowing minimalist war movie comparable to 70s Russian and French auteur cinema, except he couldn't get out of his own way and made ridiculous mainstream choices like the obnoxiously overblown Hans Zimmer score and PG-13 rating.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Calling shape of water the best fantasy film of all time is insulting to the fantasy genre.:hhh:

Everything about shape of water was surface level,they even have a character be racist for 1 scene and then never touch on it again, but nobody says anything on here about it. Because it was just surface level like the rest of the film. It was cartoony like the rest of it.

If this film didn't take place above a movie theatre,didn't have constant references to older films,didn't have a musical number and didn't take place in the golden era for academy members it wouldn't have even been nominated. All that shyt was calculated Oscar bait and it worked.:hhh:,

It's a forgettable film that doesn't have anything to say that hasn't been said by about a dozen animated children's films.:camby:

In 5 years people are going to be talking about how shape of water won because of how old the academy is,and that get out was the rightful winner. They got it wrong,again, and the ratings reflect it.

Last edited:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I don't see how people can call inception and interstellar cold,sterile emotionless films at all. They weren't at all.

Dunkirk though. :francis:

Making a pg 13 war film with 0 characters was fukking weird. To me it was like a parody of what people accuse some of his other films being

Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, the 305
Some thoughts:
They really want to give Denzel his 3rd Oscar the stars just have to align

Nolan is Spielberg status before he won for Schiendlers List

Who's going to be the first black director to win? Coogler, McQueen, Jenkins

Jimmy Kimmel was decent, but they need new blood next year

Damn they could have gave that Meryl Streep slot to someone else

Yesss Roger Deakins is finally an Academy award winner

I know your pin pointing directing category specifically. But Jenkins and McQueen still have an Oscar for winning best picture.

President Sakora

Supporter
Daps
a lot of angry ppl for no reason the last few pages:dead: the shape of water was the best of 2017 and will still be talked about 5+ years from now:blessed: despite what the coli hot take experts are saying

ryan seacrest's ex-stylist came out and said he sexually harassed her several years ago and did it for a few years. apparently E! knew about it but kept it under wraps and dismissed her claims.
so what evidence is there he did what she claims?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Calling shape of water the best fantasy film of all time is insulting to the fantasy genre.:hhh:

Everything about shape of water was surface level,they even have a character be racist for 1 scene and then never touch on it again, but nobody says anything on here about it. Because it was just surface level like the rest of the film. It was cartoony like the rest of it.

If this film didn't take place above a movie theatre,didn't have constant references to older films,didn't have a musical number and didn't take place in the golden era for academy members it wouldn't have even been nominated. All that shyt was calculated Oscar bait and it worked.:hhh:,

It's a forgettable film that doesn't have anything to say that hasn't been said by about a dozen animated children's films.:camby:

In 5 years people are going to be talking about how shape of water won because of how old the academy is,and that get out was the rightful winner. They got it wrong,again, and the ratings reflect it.
Zero people are saying this. Stop it. Its not even GDTs best fantasy film