The 2018 Oscars: Get Out!

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm really happy for Del Toro as I feel he's been long over due for an Oscar. I don't dislike Shape of Water. I just feel there were three or four movies that clearly surpassed it in quality. Shape of Water is an enjoyable watch but I think films like Get Out, Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread, and 3 Billboards were much more layered, challenging, and left you with something to think about after watching them. Shape of Water is technically great, but I think Dunkirk and Phantom Thread exceed it in technical categories as well. And while it has nothing to do with this year's awards, Shape of Water most likely wouldn't crack my top 3 of Del Toro's best films:yeshrug:

Makes sense. It’s an amalgamation of the other flicks nominated

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Yup. And he’s going down as one of the greats so it’ll be on his resume. You’ll have fans who say it’s his best. Others will say it’s not. It’ll be a debate. Is it the cultural earthquake of get out? No. But that doesn’t make it bad or forgettable.
So I neee I see this movie? I saw it on one of my feeds but never heard of it. Is it that good?

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some thoughts:
They really want to give Denzel his 3rd Oscar the stars just have to align

Nolan is Spielberg status before he won for Schiendlers List

Who's going to be the first black director to win? Coogler, McQueen, Jenkins

Jimmy Kimmel was decent, but they need new blood next year

Damn they could have gave that Meryl Streep slot to someone else

Yesss Roger Deakins is finally an Academy award winner

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I'm really happy for Del Toro as I feel he's been long over due for an Oscar. I don't dislike Shape of Water. I just feel there were three or four movies that clearly surpassed it in quality. Shape of Water is an enjoyable watch but I think films like Get Out, Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread, and 3 Billboards were much more layered, challenging, and left you with something to think about after watching them. Shape of Water is technically great, but I think Dunkirk and Phantom Thread exceed it in technical categories as well. And while it has nothing to do with this year's awards, Shape of Water most likely wouldn't crack my top 3 of Del Toro's best films:yeshrug:
It should. Devils backbone. Pans. Water.

Im just happy a genre film won even if it wasn't exciting like Get Out winning would have been

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Makes sense. It’s an amalgamation of the other flicks nominated
I'm not sure I would agree with that assessment, but in your opinion what does The Shape of Water do better than the other movies nominated? The only thing I can think of is "not leave you depressed" and I could argue that Lady Bird did that better:skip:It sounds like I'm shytting on the movie, but I'm really not. There were great performances by the leads and supporting actors, the story was nice, the movie visually looked amazing, but I finished the movie feeling :ehh:, whereas other movies left me like :wow:

• Dap
Reactions: ECA

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

i haven't seen phantom thread but i disagree with every movie you listed here besides get out and i give the shape of water a nod above it in regards to layers, challenging and leaving you something to think about.

at the end of the day different strokes for different folks.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm not sure I would agree with that assessment, but in your opinion what does The Shape of Water do better than the other movies nominated? The only thing I can think of is "not leave you depressed" and I could argue that Lady Bird did that better:skip:It sounds like I'm shytting on the movie, but I'm really not. There were great performances by the leads and supporting actors, the story was nice, the movie visually looked amazing, but I finished the movie feeling :ehh:, whereas other movies left me like :wow:

Doesn’t do anything particularly better. I’m agreeing with you. It’s a mix of everything but doesn’t do one thing better. It just does everything those flicks do and does it “good” not better

GOATpernick

Troy, the God
Supporter
Daps
For me it’s weird he’s just been like fukk character. He’s almost doing the same thing Lucas did with the prequels in that he’s more engaged with the tools and mechanics of filmmaking rather than the people or emotions needed to connect the bigger parts. He’s all about process and timing and he’s great at that stuff. A Nolan movie always looks great. Always sounds great. It’ll always be perfect from a technical standpoint. But story and character seem to keep tripping him up. Or he just doesn’t give a shyt

I think he cares but maybe he just feels movies are all the same and hes gonna go left with it. Do we know what his next movie might be about?

Yeah it's not like there is any one way to make a movie. In Dunkirk the characters were clearly not a focus, the movie would have still worked if there was not a single interaction between characters. For his future movies that will have the ambition of Inception/Interstellar etc though Nolan seriously needs to let someone else write the dialogue and focus even more on the flawless execution of everything else.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah it's not like there is any one way to make a movie. In Dunkirk the characters were clearly not a focus, the movie would have still worked if there was not a single interaction between characters. For his future movies that will have the ambition of Inception/Interstellar etc though Nolan seriously needs to let someone else write the dialogue and focus even more on the flawless execution of everything else.
Yeah dialogue isn’t his thing. He’s so on the nose with that shyt. Like if a character is sad they’re going to tell you they’re sad along with their motivation right there without having you sort through any subtext or context.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
i haven't seen phantom thread but i disagree with every movie you listed here besides get out and i give the shape of water a nod above it in regards to layers, challenging and leaving you something to think about.

at the end of the day different strokes for different folks.
I feel you, but what did you find yourself pondering after you finished watching the movie? It was pretty straight forward and on the nose to me, which isn't a bad thing. 3 Billboards manages to make you dislike a mother seeking justice for her raped and murdered daughter:skip:I absolutely understand how a movie like The Shape of Water can feel like a welcome diversion from films like that, or a film about a narcissistic, controlling, demeaning fashion designer who falls in love with a woman because she poisons him, or an in depth study on race, or a gay and kind of pedo coming of age story. Nothing about Shape of Water leaves you feeling uncomfortable (as long as you don't focus too much on the bestiality angle:whoa:) and it ends on a positive uplifting note unlike the other movies nominated.

@FlyRy It might not be a popular opinion, but I would watch both Hellboys before I'd watch Shape of Water. I'm also very aware that my love for Pan's Labyrinth is probably making me hold SoW to a ridiculous standard:manny: