The 2017 Coli census, are AA's really a minority on this board?

Which of the following groups do you belong to?

• African American

• African

• Caribbean

• Afro-Latino

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Did Farrakhan really state that the slave ships left all the strong ones in the Islands and brought the weak ones to America? :Waraabe:

How did he get away with that level of disrespect? :Catwtf:
He got away with it cause a lot of AA's ain't in tune with their roots like they should be(and trust me I judge them even harder).

A lot of "concious" movements(not all thank God) are a total rejection of AA culture. At the surface it never looks that way, but when you look at the language that's used it's clear.

Everything with us is slave culture, slave food, slave religion, etc etc, all cast in a negative light. The average AA is always accused of not having "knowledge of self", implying we're lost, and that everything we do was imposed on us and what we have is a b*stard culture. No other culture of the diaspora is cast in this light, and if so, point me in the right direction cuz I haven't seen it. And its also not a coincidence that these kind of movements with this line of thinking took off much more in the North as opposed to the South(the root). That rejection of "southerness", rejection of being country, the shift in the AA identity from rural to urban, etc. all tie into this.

So with these discussions on here I think a lot of the non-AA posters are taken aback because we normally don't assert ourselves in this kind of manner, cuz you know "Black is Black". But that shyt needs to change IMO, and it shouldn't be considered a bad thing. But we AA's gotta be the ones to drive that forward by having true pride in who we are and where we come from.

skokiaan

African original
Daps
Reppin
One Africa
im asking what stream of thought does that come from. If you've never been to the states why would you assume we have no culture in the first pace. Thats just random hating
not hating breh..okay from what ive seen black people more or less are the same whether you from china or greenland we all the same, our family structure and everything that happens in the household we have similar experiences..this is what i thought until these types of threads been popping on this board in the past year have been denying they african heritage

We don't need to school you on something deep down you already are in awe of.

AA culture is the reason this forum exist and that you post on it. It's funny how some of you like saying slick shyt, yet you're on a forum discussing topics and gossip related to AAs and America. You got people outside of the US, talking about American celebs, athletes and politicians as if they live here with us.:russ:

AAs in general don't sit around in real life discussing, gossiping and obsessing over other cultures than our own. You watch and emulate us, not the other way around.
*browses TLR*:dead:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Probably only 10-20 or so fraudsters.. AA's are still the single largest ethnic group here :hubie:

@Nigerianwonder is trans-AA :umad:

Or a Nigerian scammer :yeshrug:

Your numbers are way off.....I say this as someone who has probably had the most interaction with each group on this forum and has a general feel for the numbers

Karb

Veteran
Daps
He got away with it cause a lot of AA's ain't in tune with their roots like they should be(and trust me I judge them even harder).

A lot of "concious" movements(not all thank God) are a total rejection of AA culture. At the surface it never looks that way, but when you look at the language that's used it's clear.

Everything with us is slave culture, slave food, slave religion, etc etc, all cast in a negative light. The average AA is always accused of not having "knowledge of self", implying we're lost, and that everything we do was imposed on us and what we have is a b*stard culture. No other culture of the diaspora is cast in this light, and if so, point me in the right direction cuz I haven't seen it. And its also not a coincidence that these kind of movements with this line of thinking took off much more in the North as opposed to the South(the root). That rejection of "southerness", rejection of being country, the shift in the AA identity from rural to urban, etc. all tie into this.

So with these discussions on here I think a lot of the non-AA posters are taken aback because we normally don't assert ourselves in this kind of manner, cuz you know "Black is Black". But that shyt needs to change IMO, and it shouldn't be considered a bad thing. But we AA's gotta be the ones to drive that forward by having true pride in who we are and where we come from.

Interesting perspective. You're basically saying that one of the inherent flaws in many of the early reformist movements is that they were based on the premise that AA culture in its totality was imposed by foreign entities and thus needed to be rejected. It's interesting because this mentality still persists and can be found in many of the modem movements. I can see how that can be destructive to the self-image of a people, if they're constantly told by their leaders that everything about them is tainted and impure. It's very counterproductive.

I agree with the rest of your post as well, AA's are expected to share their culture and everything that makes them unique in a way that other ppl are not. This is partially due to the commercialization of African American cultural expressions like music, Ebonics, fashion etc, which means that everybody now feels like they have an ownership of AA culture.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Interesting perspective. You're basically saying that one of the inherent flaws in many of the early reformist movements is that they were based on the premise that AA culture in its totality was imposed by foreign entities and thus needed to be rejected. It's interesting because this mentality still persists and can be found in many of the modem movements. I can see how that can be destructive to the self-image of a people, if they're constantly told by their leaders that everything about them is tainted and impure. It's very counterproductive.

I agree with the rest of your post as well, AA's are expected to share their culture and everything that makes them unique in a way that other ppl are not. This is partially due to the commercialization of African American cultural expressions like music, Ebonics, fashion etc, which means that everybody now feels like they have an ownership of AA culture.
Something I want to add
(Might catch some heat :mjcry:)

IMO AAs (and other Americans) emphasize slavery more than other folks in the diaspora

Phrases like slave food, field nikka house nikka etc. really shouldn't be used, shyts ignorant

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps

Pretty much:ehh::obama: